Guy Pearce Says Covenant Goes Back to Origins of Ridley Scott’s ‘Alien’ Films!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Mar 08, 2017, 06:27:57 PM

Author
Guy Pearce Says Covenant Goes Back to Origins of Ridley Scott’s ‘Alien’ Films!! (Read 16,889 times)

Pvt. Himmel

QuoteIn a recent interview with IndieWire, Pearce gave some insight into what sets "Covenant" apart from its most recent predecessor:

"Not to take away anything from what we did on 'Prometheus,' but I do think that to get back to the heart of the story is what the fans want," Pearce said.

"Ridley did such an incredible map for finding new ways to tell stories, and even if he does go back to the sort of the origins or what it was that made the original 'Alien's films so appealing, he still managed to do it in an innovative way," the actor explained. "It's not going to feel dated or old."

But the actor does want to make it clear that he's not one of the film's major characters, and there still may be some elements even he wasn't privy to.

"I was really there very briefly," Pearce added. "So I don't feel it as deeply in my bones as when I've worked on something for months on end."

Still, that doesn't take away from his excitement about getting back into a universe he seems to love.

"But I do keep reminding myself that I am in the new 'Alien' film and it's a thrill," he added with a chuckle. "To work with Ridley was the real honor, obviously because he's been around for so long and he's so experienced and so innovative. I mean, you have those quiet moments to yourself, where you think, 'Oh, that's pretty cool.'"

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/alien-covenant-guy-pearce-ridley-scott-original-alien-1201791119/

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

I miss the days of the cast and crew talking about Prometheus with philosophy, religion, robots, etc.

Anyone notice how Alien: Covenant talk is similar to Untitled Alien prequel circa '09 talk? Monsters! Aliens! Scary!

Then it turned into Prometheus and it was about the meaning of life. And now we're back to...muuuuunsters!

Lindelof brought the goods in that regard. Dude was an amazing interview.

Ingwar

Cannot wait to see Pearce as younger but still aged Weyland.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 08, 2017, 06:53:04 PM
I miss the days of the cast and crew talking about Prometheus with philosophy, religion, robots, etc.

Anyone notice how Alien: Covenant talk is similar to Untitled Alien prequel circa '09 talk? Monsters! Aliens! Scary!

Then it turned into Prometheus and it was about the meaning of life. And now we're back to...muuuuunsters!

Lindelof brought the goods in that regard.
Yeah, but as Pearce says this is what Alien fans want. I really wish Prometheus had no connection to Alien. Alien fans have been horrid to Prometheus and its fans, and now Fox and Scott have shunned them, too. Fox is beyond stupid for doing this. The bitter Alien fans were a minority. Prometheus was a hit. This situation is everything wrong with modern audiences turned up to 11. It's a crime against science fiction cinema.

chris_bert

I don't quite get what Guy is saying in the interview. When someone says "origins" in any of these Alien films, I immediately think of the lone Space Jockey on LV-426 in the original Alien/Nostromo film. So maybe I've got it wrong and we need a clear definition of what Ridley means when he says "origin" or "origins" because to me that means the original Alien/Nostromo film and the derelict ship and Space Jockey pilot. As a long-time fan, I always thought the "key" that might provide an answer to everything that happened on the Nostromo and afterward was in fact the derelict ship and the mysterious pilot. So saying that Ridley is going to go back to the origins of the original film would have to involve some discussion and additional information about the derelict craft and its pilot (at least in my mind). Yes, the xeno would also be part of this because it was all about the xeno in the original Alien film. I think, however, the xeno has been covered in great detail in all of the subsequent and related films. What's been missing is details and information about the Space Jockey. I think the 2012 Prometheus film made a small attempt at explaining more about the Space Jockey/Engineers...with us humans having a matching DNA to the Engineer on LV-223 and we see when the Engineer prepares for flight, his flight suit resembles what we saw in the Alien/Nostromo film, but Prometheus left quite a lot unanswered and I'm hoping it was supposed to be like that and not some type of oversight. So what does Ridley mean when he says something like going back to the origin or origins of the film? I immediately think Space Jockey in the original Alien film but that's just me and I could be wrong or off the mark. 

Ingwar

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 08, 2017, 07:09:41 PM
Yeah, but as Pearce says this is what Alien fans want. I really wish Prometheus had no connection to Alien. Alien fans have been horrid to Prometheus and its fans, and now Fox and Scott have shunned them, too. Fox is beyond stupid for doing this. The bitter Alien fans were a minority. Prometheus was a hit. This situation is everything wrong with modern audiences turned up to 11. It's a crime against science fiction cinema.

Bitter? I like Prometheus but I don't mind what Fox is doing to the franchise. I cannot wait to see Alien prequel trilogy.
Alien fans were minority? Can you back that up?
Prometheus was a hit? Hmm ... 50/50.
Crime against Sci-Fi cinema? I wouldn't go that far. It's a business. And regarding the crime against Sci-Fi you should blame Lindelof.

Le Celticant

I personally wanted Prometheus (and any sequel) to be as far as possible from Alien.
Sounds like they didn't listen to the fans but listened to the statistics of how much they could win.

In fact I don't even know why they should have listened to the fan because if that was the case,
no connection was ever needed and fan weren't wanted.

It's obviously pure marketing we hear there just to say to the skeptic: This is an Alien film.
Just like Ridley's Scott saying he wants to scares the shit out of us ( ::) ).
Or just like how he listened to Critics (while along his career he repeatedly mentioned never giving a damn).

Ingwar

This franchise don't belong to Scott. It's Fox property. They decide. We got what we got. Accept that. Better another Alien movie than nothing.

echobbase79

I've not read any of set reports or leaks, but who's to say that the other sequels beyond Covenant (if they're made) want go back to those Prometheus style themes?

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 08, 2017, 07:09:41 PM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 08, 2017, 06:53:04 PM

Lindelof brought the goods in that regard.

Sad but true. I'm in total agreement. I'm a colossal Alien fan but wanted that continuation of deep movies using the mythology and Prometheus was a great first step. I just remember the good old days when we were treated to answers like Lindelof's. Example:

"Finally, the scribe touched on how the title of Prometheus hints at the larger themes that are explored in the film:

"I don't want to sound like the movie is a history lesson, but I do think that the primary take away from the myth of Prometheus is that the Gods were nervous about mankind. They were nervous about what they would be capable of if they had fire. Fire was a big piece of technology that they would build off of. And the story of any creation is eventually a child will try to destroy its parents. It's a very paranoid world view, mythologically-speaking it pops up a lot. Especially for us Star Wars aficionados. So the essential story is: I don't want to give my kid this toy because eventually he will develop it into a weapon that will kill me. So I will therefore withhold it from him. And what is the price I must exact on somebody who betrays me?"

A damn shame.

Does the new Walter viral teaser give you hope though? I dig it and hope we get a lot of that kind of thing. Remember, Scott said that although Alien is in the title, he'll supposedly only be using the traditional tropes sparingly.

Corporal Hicks

Can we have a conversation where people who don't like Prometheus aren't generalized as bitter or stupid or some such? Prometheus had a lot of problems, the least of which was "no Aliens."

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2017, 07:32:00 PM
Can we have a conversation where people who don't like Prometheus aren't generalized as bitter or stupid or some such? Prometheus had a lot of problems, the least of which was "no Aliens."

Here f**kin' here. Absolutely.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: chris_bert on Mar 08, 2017, 07:15:00 PM
I don't quite get what Guy is saying in the interview. When someone says "origins" in any of these Alien films, I immediately think of the lone Space Jockey on LV-426 in the original Alien/Nostromo film. So maybe I've got it wrong and we need a clear definition of what Ridley means when he says "origin" or "origins" because to me that means the original Alien/Nostromo film and the derelict ship and Space Jockey pilot. As a long-time fan, I always thought the "key" that might provide an answer to everything that happened on the Nostromo and afterward was in fact the derelict ship and the mysterious pilot. So saying that Ridley is going to go back to the origins of the original film would have to involve some discussion and additional information about the derelict craft and its pilot (at least in my mind). Yes, the xeno would also be part of this because it was all about the xeno in the original Alien film. I think, however, the xeno has been covered in great detail in all of the subsequent and related films. What's been missing is details and information about the Space Jockey. I think the 2012 Prometheus film made a small attempt at explaining more about the Space Jockey/Engineers...with us humans having a matching DNA to the Engineer on LV-223 and we see when the Engineer prepares for flight, his flight suit resembles what we saw in the Alien/Nostromo film, but Prometheus left quite a lot unanswered and I'm hoping it was supposed to be like that and not some type of oversight. So what does Ridley mean when he says something like going back to the origin or origins of the film? I immediately think Space Jockey in the original Alien film but that's just me and I could be wrong or off the mark.

I really don't think he put too much thought into his answer. Origins is just a word.

Protozoid

Protozoid

You didn't spend the last five years being trolled for liking it. Calling them a bitter minority is generous. The rest of the internet, including this board, is hostile towards the fans. It takes all the patience I can muster to browse this board without steam coming out of my ears. And believe me, all of the movie's flaws were apparent after one viewing. But more flaws than Alien, Blade Runner , or your typical sci-fi movie? Absolutely not. It was just scrutinized more than just about any film of recent years. The nitpicking that went on cannot be rationally justified. It was excessive, mean, and destructive to the creative health of the series. Alien fans feeling persecuted by Prometheus fans? That's so absurd you must be joking. How many topics are there on this board that mention a promise that this movie will "correct" Prometheus or some other backhanded remark? Are Prometheus fans supposed to say nothing while the community pretends that the best film in the franchise was a mistake? This is a really, really awful board if you have any respect for Ridley and his work. It's really disappointing.

Ingwar

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 08, 2017, 08:06:55 PM
You didn't spend the last five years being trolled for liking it. Calling them a bitter minority bitter is generous. The rest of the internet, including this board, is hostile towards the fans. It takes all the patience I can muster to browse this board without steam coming my ears. And believe me, all of the movie's flaws were apparent after one viewing. But more flaws than Alien, Blade Runner , or your typical sci-fi movie? Absolutely not. It was just scrutinized more than just about any film of recent years. The nitpicking that went on cannot be rationally justified. It was excessive, mean, and destructive to the creative health of the series. Alien fans feeling persecuted by Prometheus fans? That's so absurd you must be joking. How many topics are there on this board that mention a promise that this movie will "correct" Prometheus or some other backhanded remark? Are Prometheus fans supposed to say nothing while the community pretends that the best film in the franchise was a mistake? This is a really, really awful board if you have any respect for Ridley and his work. Its really disappointing.

You see I don't like this categorisation on Alien and Prometheus fans. There are people who like/love both. I like Prometheus and I don't feel being trolled for liking it. Besides it's the same universe. There are die-hard Alien fans who like Prometheus more than A:R.

I don't find this board hostile towards fans. Obviously there're people who sometimes annoy me but it doesn't mean they're my enemies. We just have different opinions. It's life. If I were you I wouldn't take it personal.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed