Another New Picture

Started by Shasvre, Jan 14, 2012, 09:38:57 PM

Author
Another New Picture (Read 58,411 times)

mastermoon

mastermoon

Those Darkhorse comics always have the artist changing the space jockey design, it's like how ranger smith from yogi bear cartoons never had a final design.

Redleader

Redleader

Those suits or status are reminding me of the AVP series...ohhhhh no :-(.

locusta

locusta

Quote from: Redleader on Jan 17, 2012, 04:03:16 AM
Those suits or status are reminding me of the AVP series...ohhhhh no :-(.

Exactly what I thought at first glimpse. Exactly.

jpierpoint

jpierpoint

Quote from: Highland on Jan 16, 2012, 08:52:59 PM
Quote from: wonkyfunk303 on Jan 16, 2012, 07:33:57 PM
Could the humanoid not be one of their creations? Maybe kept as a caretaker for when the humans found them? A sort of friendly face before they meet the true creature? Just a thought and would kind of make sense?? Also I dont think Ridley would wimp out with that as an answer on the backstory, the blokes a legend and I have faith he won't sell it out with a lame we go and find a bald human idea.....

Personally I think so , I mentioned in the other thread but nobody seemed to take notice. The Blue guy is played by Ian White who is nothing more than a creature actor. He will not have any lines, and if he does, it will probably be Darth Maul style one liners with a different voice over.

I'm thinking the SJ will also be humanoid, the lack of Guy Pierce anywhere seems to indicate to me that he's probably our SJ. The only other explination could be that he's Weyland.

Well given that Guy Pierce is a 'name' actor, and a good one at that, I think he probably will have a key part to play. Maybe not huge in terms of screen time but important. Add in his absence from the trailer and anything else that's emerged so far and, for me, the 'probably' turns into a definitely.

Quote from: jpierpoint on Jan 17, 2012, 09:08:16 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jan 16, 2012, 08:52:59 PM
Quote from: wonkyfunk303 on Jan 16, 2012, 07:33:57 PM
Could the humanoid not be one of their creations? Maybe kept as a caretaker for when the humans found them? A sort of friendly face before they meet the true creature? Just a thought and would kind of make sense?? Also I dont think Ridley would wimp out with that as an answer on the backstory, the blokes a legend and I have faith he won't sell it out with a lame we go and find a bald human idea.....

Personally I think so , I mentioned in the other thread but nobody seemed to take notice. The Blue guy is played by Ian White who is nothing more than a creature actor. He will not have any lines, and if he does, it will probably be Darth Maul style one liners with a different voice over.

I'm thinking the SJ will also be humanoid, the lack of Guy Pierce anywhere seems to indicate to me that he's probably our SJ. The only other explination could be that he's Weyland.

Well given that Guy Pierce is a 'name' actor, and a good one at that, I think he probably will have a key part to play. Maybe not huge in terms of screen time but important. Add in his absence from the trailer and anything else that's emerged so far and, for me, the 'probably' turns into a definitely.

Sorry, to clarify, I mean that the fact that there has been no details of his role says to me that it is "spoilary"

PrometheusFire

PrometheusFire

Quote from: Malakak on Jan 15, 2012, 10:04:33 AM
I like the suits, I'm not worried I'm still very convinced they're punking us by giving this away and that there's another race besides the tall humanoids. One that's a creature underneath, but uses the suits of their masters and ends up helping humanity, again. Yes it's true many religions/cultures portrayed their gods as very human-like; especially the pantheistic gods who have individual personalities and character faults. Zeus was always cheating on Rhea etc., but a common theme is that there are always classes of less tangible creatures mixed in with those "'gods". In the Greek myth, at first the Titans were actually the Elder Gods in the cosmology. Basically the first ruling class of true Gods that later gets replaced by the gods of Mt. Olympus. This puts the Olympian gods in the position to punish, and make war with the Titans. In many cultures there is the image of the old, bearded god figure like Odin, the Judeo-christian god image, Zeus, and to an extent Osiris.  Although people in the past assigned human characteristic to a lot of the ruling gods, there's mention of other forces in a lot of the earlier thoughts of those cultures. The Titans/Elder gods are just one example, and later on in the myths they are more anthropomorphic, but I don't think these are the tall human "gods" spoke of in alien astronaut theory.

Even in the Judeo-christian myths you have characters like Jehova, who sounds like he actually could have been wearing some giant suit, or a weird creature himself.  The many different choirs of angels are interesting, and the archangel Michael is said to be extremely tall when he manifests.
If you take it to alien astronaut theory and try to connect to the myths, there's still mention of non-humanoids when you really look at it.  Daniken doesn't focus on this like some others do, because even for serious researchers there wouldn't be much to go on.  Daniken does sometimes cover these things.  The mysterious "Watchers"/Anasazi/Ant-people or what looks and sounds like our current idea of the grey aliens are possible contenders with the saucer craft being included.
Then you have things that are more Lovecraftian and in the vein of "at the mountains of madness" coming from some of the Egyptian/Sumerian stuff mixed in with the more humanoid sounding gods.
Still so many possibilities if they really dive into either the mythology or alien astronaut theory.  People who theorize that the grey aliens were the "Watchers" (or some variation when translated from other cultures) think they may have been a slave race of the interstellar humanoids at some point in the past.
I'm not saying it has to look like E.T. But they could easily place any creature design in that subordinate role, aka what became of the Titans, the classes of angels, various creatures of Norse mythology, and what some think happened to the alien greys by the Nephillim/Annunaki of AA theory.
Not saying I believe all this stuff, all the analogies found cross-culturally show is that these myths of very similar characters took shape in different cultures and language, most likely being transferred from culture to culture. When you trace it all back, it leads to Egypt, the middle-east/Sumer, and ancient India.  Where we first see things like the flood tale.  When monotheism took over much of the other characters of the myths were forgotten or relegated to being in one of the choirs of angels. Even the pitchfork, and three-pronged staff of the Devil and Lucifer could relate to Poseidon/Triton and Hades.  The caduceus appears a lot too.

Nicely put buddy :)
Exactly the point i made about our own ancient history allowing for the idea of a " alien/god/angel/demon/scientist" overlord character to appear to be humanesque in appearance in a sci-fi movie.............why it needs to be justified is seriously beyond me at this point and actually shows a commitment i cannot f**king relate to :)
Thanks for taking the time to explain it in detail :)
From what i can tell most of the comments ppl are making in regards to the anti humanoid sjbs, pretty much every problem they have exists in the xeno alien design lol ........ I just dont get the issue ???

Can anybody read cuniform text lol, somebody should try and translate the cuniform located on the sleepchamber thingys surrounding the center platform :)

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

I'm sure the cuniform is nothing we've seen before.

And if it is in fact a mix of various ancient culture symbols...well, it really is sounding a little AVPish.

PrometheusFire

PrometheusFire

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jan 17, 2012, 10:19:56 PM

And if it is in fact a mix of various ancient culture symbols...well, it really is sounding a little AVPish.

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jan 17, 2012, 10:19:56 PM

01: pretty certain that............ Watching event horizon on blueray its painfully obvious that anderson was a diehard fan of alien and in event horizon probaby found a dream project i.e spacecrew respond to distress signal of deralict spacecraft, investigate, discover new lifeform that wants to kill them all . set design ,camera shots,crew member attitudes etc etc even the crews spacehelmets ffs which im sure were just dug out from the alien props.
02: from what i have come to learn about some of the original alien concepts, im sure avp and alot of the ideas for it came from scott and obannons early ideas just set on earth and swap out the sjs for the preds and boom.
03: event horizon had a budget of 50million and the director was allowed alot of creative controle.
04: avp had a budget of 60million and pretty much got made by execs who have no f**king clue

The ideas, sets or even director were not the problem with avp, apart from it being on earth and the pair up at the end i thought it was pretty cool :)

Oooooo so like............is the idea that the ancient race that built the pyramid idea that the 79 deralict craft crashed into was actually the preds :/ and in fact was an old deralict training ground that got blowed up by a pred nuke activated by a predyouth that failed the trials , the large blast knocking out the electrical systems of a passing sj craft in the process????? Just sayin :)

Toy

Toy

Thanks PrometheusFire,  I think you may be right and AVP did try to go back and use some of those early alien concepts with Preds instead.  Ridley could be giving the AVP series a huge f*** you by going back to those early ideas about pyramids on other worlds and executing those ideas in a better way.  There's ways they could both coexist after, but the talk about a Pyramid set has me thinking AVP will be shot out of canon.

Remember there was a rumor that they built a pyramid set in Morocco and were transporting it somewhere else for Prometheus? I think it will all be connected to the idea of a lost global mother culture that, in this movie, also went interstellar with the help of another race tens of thousands of years ago.  This makes the bald guys a subordinate race of humanoid-giants, but their mixture of genetics is close to the gods and elder gods(Titans) who may be even larger.  I think we have non-humanoid intelligent creatures and even possibly more humanoids yet to be revealed.  The bald guys could actually play the role of the demi-gods (mixture of god and man) in the mythology.

Jenga

Jenga

Malakak: I mean this in the nicest possible way but: I don't think any serious Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986) fan believes AVP and AVP:R to be canon. They're kind of like "Freddy vs. Jason" (2003). For fun.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Jenga on Jan 19, 2012, 07:10:10 PM
Malakak: I mean this in the nicest possible way but: I don't think any serious Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986) fan believes AVP and AVP:R to be canon. They're kind of like "Freddy vs. Jason" (2003). For fun.
Somehow I think being worked over with a lead pipe would be more enjoyable. :P

Jenga

Jenga

Quote from: Cvalda on Jan 19, 2012, 07:31:14 PM
Somehow I think being worked over with a lead pipe would be more enjoyable. :P

I won't try to define "fun" in this case :)

PrometheusFire

PrometheusFire

01:Lol well to be honest mate if your going down that direction why not take it to the extreme and accept that any serious "alien79" fan knows that what cameron did was change the creature from being truely alien to being an ant/wasp that was to big to step on .......... In my oppinion if you accept camerons "twist" on the original then your being nothing but a stuck up little twat ........
02: avp is no more out of touch with the original than the idea of a bunch of fully armed marines invading a nest of antlike aliens and pretty much all getting wiped out......oh except for the forklift driver who by herself invaded the nest , wiped out the nesting grounds and the queen and all the xeno's ,without any prior military training and oh yeah she did the whole thing carrying a little girl on her back.........
03: your argument really shows know logical thinking......and actually comes across as simply over inflated ego fanboy nonsense that stems from watching way to much cameron jizz.......and please dont try and start some other bullshit argument i actually like aliens......its just no more further from "cannon" than avp and i think that claiming your any more serious a "fan" when you claim that you dont agree with the bigger picture is foolhardy and childish aswell as ignorant.
We are all here for the same reason......well except for you and a few others on here, your obviously only here because you love a few 1 or 2 movies that feature monsters ive loved since childhood that ive followed through movies , comicbooks, toys, novels etc etc ............ Just sayin :)

Toy

Toy

Haha sorry I wasn't being clear. I don't consider them canon in any way, so no offense taken. I just meant that Ridley will explore those original concepts in A L I E N in a much better way than the piss-poor AVP did; and will literally eject AVP out of even possibly being conceived of fitting into the canon. I want them to be metaphorically shot out of a literal cannon. I was trying to be humorous but it didn't come across :P

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

At least this picture clears up one mystery; space jockey's do have legs and feet.

atlantis

atlantis

Since seeing the movie  back in 1979..I think that the Space Jockey chair is some kind of flying device, the space jockey is using to fly trough the egg chambers...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed