Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 730,685 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: stephen on Feb 20, 2014, 01:27:29 AMHaving said that, I can't discount the theory as a legitimate theory.  There's no real holes in it apart from the fact that nothing in the films supports the genetic mess into egg thing.  I know my own theory takes some liberties as well but I still feel that it takes less liberties then this idea.  I know it's based off one of the scripts but to me that's still not a part of the film.

Alien 3's development hell is the reason I value the earlier scripts so much.  What Giler and Hill eventually "wrote" seemed to be little more than a mishmash of concepts lifted from those earlier scripts.  The sudden appearance of an egg seemingly out of nowhere smacks of the Gibson script to me.

It's the same reason I think the Sulaco was intentionally rerouted to Fury 161 by the company.

SM

SM

QuoteSo what you're saying is that you're making some assumptions?

If you want to describe it in such dismissive terms...

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2014, 02:53:27 AM
QuoteSo what you're saying is that you're making some assumptions?

If you want to describe it in such dismissive terms...

All I'm saying is that there's not enough evidence to know for sure so all any of us can do is make assumptions. You seem to pass it off as fact which I disagree with.

SM

SM

It's more than assumption and less than fact.

It's extrapolation.

If people want to simply dismiss it out of hand with a blanket 'Yeah, but you still don't know', then there's little I can do.

Alien³

Alien³

I fully endorse my theory.

I see it as fact.

stephen

stephen

Right - which doesn't really change the situation.  I just don't think there's enough information to be able to...extrapolate with any degree of certainty.

I don't dismiss it out of hand at all.  I even asked you to explain your reasoning.

It's just that I take the stance that it is actually an unknown where you seem to be pretty much settled on the subject.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

It's been 22 years.

I can imagine many fans are more than settled on the subject.

SM

SM

As far as I see it - as I've said on this thread as nauseum probably.

1. Egg is on the dropship.
2. The opening titles is a fragmented semi conscious version of actual events from Ripley's dreaming POV.

These two options require that least amount of making shit up.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2014, 03:38:37 AM
As far as I see it - as I've said on this thread as nauseum probably.

1. Egg is on the dropship.
2. The opening titles is a fragmented semi conscious version of actual events from Ripley's dreaming POV.

These two options require that least amount of making shit up.

you've indicated two options:

1. egg is on dropship (which it isn't) and you would then have to "make up" the fact that one egg = two aliens.  You've just made something up?  You've just added to the alien life cycle.
2. Which then doesn't explain anything.  If this is the case then all of the imagery and audio we hear during the opening credits can be completely disregarded and you can then choose to believe whatever you want to believe - one egg; two eggs; one egg and two facehuggers - whatever.

SM

SM

1. There is a reason I said "least amount of making shit up", rather than "not making shit up".
2. No, not completely disregarded.  The basic facts of there's an Alien on board that accompanied them to Fiorina are confirmed by Bishop.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

To me, only the different cryotubes are unexplainable without exceeding the bullshit barrier like Chuck Yeager with the X-1 of shovels.  To Fincher, I say: that shit ain't right.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I favor the "Alien 3 was a dream" approach they were toying with before production of Res. It would've been a giant slap in the face to the A3 crew, but not half as bad as bloody Resurrection ended up being. You also could've maybe stayed in the same universe and left something open for the future instead of killing the entire franchise for 200 years past and future, canon-wise.

SM

SM

I don't think they ever toyed with the idea of Alien3 being a dream.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

This was the only thing I could find at the moment:

QuoteFact: The original concept for Alien 4 was to claim that Alien 3 had been Ripley's bad dream during hyper sleep in an attempt to appease the fans.

From this article: http://notanothersequel.blogspot.com/2012/03/most-hated-sequels-1.html

But I remember reading from several different sources that A4's writers toyed with the idea of making Alien3 Ripleys bad dream in hyperspace because the studios wanted Ripley to return and they were having such a difficult time figuring out how to do this.

If you google, there are actually an insane amount of crazy observations made by fans about all of the dreamlike shit and symbolism in Alien 3, from Newt 'drowning' to the Nostromo flight recorder on the EEV at the end, which wouldve most likely been impossible, and many other things.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. Interesting theory, never the less.

SM

SM

Resurrection only ever had one writer, and I've never heard anyone involved with the film ever mention anything about Alien3 being a dream.

Sounds like wishful fan wank.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed