Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 713,096 times)

stephen

stephen

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 19, 2014, 11:52:35 PM
I don't really think it's all that absurd, although I can see why SM does.  For all we know, the eggs can use the tendrils that grow out of their base to reposition themselves.  No facehugger needed.

There is that theory as well, though with this theory you have to also assume that the facehugger that hatches is able to implant two embryos  - one for Ripley and one for the dog/ox.

That's fine for a theory and if that's what you want to go with that's cool.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of an egg being able to move a great deal so I'm not a fan of that particular theory, but I certainly don't discount it as a possible theory.

My theory can incorporate a royal facehugger or simply just two normal facehuggers.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I still think it's best to look to the Gibson script for clues about how the egg's presence was conceptualized, even though the execution was botched.

stephen

stephen

I haven't read it. Care to enlighten me.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The egg grew out of Bishop's torso inside his cryotube.  Ostensibly, this was due to being contaminated with genetic material when the queen impaled him.  Later on, the Anchorpoint scientists were able to culture scrapings of the same material from his lower half and clone alien eggs from that.

My personal spin on the Gibson origin, which appears to be the script that pre-dated them all, is that this genetic material oozed into the subflooring of the Sulaco's landing bay where it congealed, then grew slowly out of the floor itself and into the strange position where we saw it after it hatched.

Sgt. Apone

Sgt. Apone

Quote from: stephen on Feb 19, 2014, 11:57:51 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 19, 2014, 11:52:35 PM
I don't really think it's all that absurd, although I can see why SM does.  For all we know, the eggs can use the tendrils that grow out of their base to reposition themselves.  No facehugger needed.

There is that theory as well, though with this theory you have to also assume that the facehugger that hatches is able to implant two embryos  - one for Ripley and one for the dog/ox.

That's fine for a theory and if that's what you want to go with that's cool.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of an egg being able to move a great deal so I'm not a fan of that particular theory, but I certainly don't discount it as a possible theory.

My theory can incorporate a royal facehugger or simply just two normal facehuggers.

One way to solve the two facehugger problem is that if you listen closely after the credits of Aliens, you can hear a facehugger crawling around.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

How does that solve the problem?

Sgt. Apone

Sgt. Apone

I don't know. It makes more sense than everything else. One facehugger could have stowed away on the dropship. How the egg got there is anyone's guess.

SM

SM

A facehugger stowing away simply would've attacked someone.  Hicks would be the most likely candidate.  If it stowed away with the Queen - then it could've easily nailed Ripley or Newt.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 20, 2014, 12:12:44 AM
The egg grew out of Bishop's torso inside his cryotube.  Ostensibly, this was due to being contaminated with genetic material when the queen impaled him.  Later on, the Anchorpoint scientists were able to culture scrapings of the same material from his lower half and clone alien eggs from that.

My personal spin on the Gibson origin, which appears to be the script that pre-dated them all, is that this genetic material oozed into the subflooring of the Sulaco's landing bay where it congealed, then grew slowly out of the floor itself and into the strange position where we saw it after it hatched.

Holy sheep shit that's crazy, but not near as crazy as the Alien3 intro. I really like that theory, which would end up with a single hugger with a queen + drone embryo. I need to re-read Gibson's script.

Would've been some nifty links into Poometheus, as well.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 20, 2014, 12:12:44 AM

Interesting.  And at least an explanation.  Unfortunately that's not what happened.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 20, 2014, 12:12:44 AMMy personal spin on the Gibson origin, which appears to be the script that pre-dated them all, is that this genetic material oozed into the subflooring of the Sulaco's landing bay where it congealed, then grew slowly out of the floor itself and into the strange position where we saw it after it hatched.

I've seen this theory on this board before (probably one of your posts) and didn't realize that it was based off one of the alien 3 scripts.

Again, if that's the theory you want to go with that's cool.  My issues:

1. Time - how long does it take this genetic material to form the egg?  Not really a big deal though because there's no real basis for how long it takes for the egg to be formed correctly anyway.
2. my personal feeling is that I don't think I like the idea of the egg simply growing out of a congealed genetic mess.  Why then a queen, why then egg morphing?  it feels like to me like a whole other breeding cycle.

Having said that, I can't discount the theory as a legitimate theory.  There's no real holes in it apart from the fact that nothing in the films supports the genetic mess into egg thing.  I know my own theory takes some liberties as well but I still feel that it takes less liberties then this idea.  I know it's based off one of the scripts but to me that's still not a part of the film.

SM

SM

Quote1. Time - how long does it take this genetic material to form the egg?  Not really a big deal though because there's no real basis for how long it takes for the egg to be formed correctly anyway.

As reference Brett was nearly fully egged in maybe a couple of hours.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2014, 01:30:33 AM
Quote1. Time - how long does it take this genetic material to form the egg?  Not really a big deal though because there's no real basis for how long it takes for the egg to be formed correctly anyway.

As reference Brett was nearly fully egged in maybe a couple of hours.

First, how do we know how long the egg had to go to be "fully egged."

Second, the egg itself maybe formed but what about the facehugger inside it?

It could take another hour, or it could take another week.  As we don't know anything about the process of how it happens then there's not really much to go on.

But having said that, I'm not really concerned about the time frame.  I'm happy enough to accept Brett's egg morphing thing as a form of precedence for that particular theory.

SM

SM

QuoteFirst, how do we know how long the egg had to go to be "fully egged."

Estimate based on careful study of the source material.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

The alien has such strong instincts, you think it could know generally how long it had before the egg was ready. If it grabbed a host too early, they would be dead before it could hatch.

Maybe this is over thinking it or giving the Alien too much credit, but they seem very smart when it comes to their own freaky jive ass reproduction.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2014, 01:51:41 AM
QuoteFirst, how do we know how long the egg had to go to be "fully egged."

Estimate based on careful study of the source material.

So what you're saying is that you're making some assumptions?

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 20, 2014, 02:03:00 AM
The alien has such strong instincts, you think it could know generally how long it had before the egg was ready. If it grabbed a host too early, they would be dead before it could hatch.

Maybe this is over thinking it or giving the Alien too much credit, but they seem very smart when it comes to their own freaky jive ass reproduction.

Sounds logical

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed