Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 729,079 times)

Vermillion

Vermillion

Except the Dropship came up from below as Ripley exclaimed "Damn you Bishop!".

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Was done for dramatic effect and nothing more.
The alien ship rising from behind Devil's Tower in Close Encounters of the Third Kind makes just as much sense, that is, very little. But it makes for an impressive shot.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'd also like to point out that that, despite Ripley's instructions and protests, Bishop never did kill those live facehuggers.  They were still safely contained in stasis tubes when he left for the uplink tower, which also means he had no reason to covertly obtain an egg.  Burke already had his specimens.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: Vermillion on Jul 09, 2013, 10:56:32 AM

Who is this in response to?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SiL on Jun 29, 2013, 02:02:45 AM
Same way they got the dead ones -- off of colonist's faces.

Worst job in the future, ever: Voluntary facehugger bait.

SM

SM

Quote from: stephen on Jul 09, 2013, 10:16:15 PM
Quote from: Vermillion on Jul 09, 2013, 10:56:32 AM

Who is this in response to?

Assuming anything Vermillion said was even remotely relevant - it's predictably not accurate.  There's over a minute between Ripley cursing out Bishop and the dropship rising into view.

QuoteSM mentioned that Bishop has no motiviation  which was defused with the comment that orders is motivation enough.

Burke's order are countermanded by Ripley's orders.  Burke doesn't have any greater authority than Ripley.  He'd be at a stalemate and someone else would need carry the order to save or destroy the specimens.

If Bishop has any personal motivation in the matter, he makes no protest to Ripley the same way Ash did.

QuoteSecondly someone (I think Sil) argued that Bishop couldn't have had those kinds of orders because of "it is impossible for to harm or by an ommission of action allow to be harmed a human being" - I'd also argue that programming could get around that easily enough.  Humans lie, I'm sure a human in control of a sophisticated piece of machinery like an Andriod could make it lie as well.

Pretty huge assumption that it's 'easy' to violate core programming.

QuoteI'd also like to point out that that, despite Ripley's instructions and protests, Bishop never did kill those live facehuggers.  They were still safely contained in stasis tubes when he left for the uplink tower, which also means he had no reason to covertly obtain an egg.  Burke already had his specimens.

Putting aside Bishop's lack of opportunity to kill the huggers, the argument against this would be that since Burke didn't show up at the dropship and nor did the huggers, Bishop landed after dropping off Ripley and got an egg from the hive.

Which is of course bullshit, but there you go.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Your anticipation of the rebuttal leads me to believe that you've heard it before.

SM

SM

Maybe once.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I love these threads.

My two cents on how they got the Hadleys' huggers.. there's no way they're stupid enough to actually bring one of the facehuggers back unattached if they knew they were dangerous parasites that attacked people on sight. There have got to be procedures out the ass for dealing with that sort of thing, and there would be plenty of company reps/stooges on Hadleys to enforce this. Even more likely since one colonist was already "infected."

I've also thought about how maybe the number of huggers in the lab is a clue. The two they removed alive were taken off before embryo implantation. Obviously we know that facehuggers fall off and die after impregnating someone, so that could mean the other 4 were the original 4 aliens to be born in Hadleys proper.

That would be a feasible scenario, with six people hugged including Mr. Jordan. They would need to have enough personnel to drag these individuals back as well, so 6 people hugged mean at least another 2 that can retrieve them all. Suppose it only took 5 curious carls for the remaining team to learn not to stick their faces in the giant slimy eggs, eh?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I've never been comfortable with the implied off-screen sequence of events that Cameron wants us to believe happened.  I'd rather believe that Russ Jorden was rushed back to the colony for medical treatment and the first chestburster was able to start a nest by itself.

The idiocy of at least five more colonists venturing into the derelict for a "fool me twice" is just too staggering for words.

SM

SM

QuoteThere have got to be procedures out the ass for dealing with that sort of thing, and there would be plenty of company reps/stooges on Hadleys to enforce this.

They had quarantine procedures and company stooges in Alien too...

SiL

SiL

And look at how much Company stooge Burke cared for procedure later on.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

The company stooges are like some horrible, phallic ejaculation from the Alien.... a perverse and unwanted relation.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Simpson and Lydecker didn't strike me as the type who would allow greed or curiosity to jeopardize the safety of the colony.

blood.

blood.

I'd say it was David Fincher who stole the eggs from the hive, and planted them on the sulaco so that he could have a plot for alien 3

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed