Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 714,333 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Or why a military vessel would screw itself up for a small fire, not wake up the crew but jettison it, etc.

SiL

SiL

The fire was in the cryo bay.

"Morning, guys! Enjoy the blazing inferno surrounding you."

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

"And while you're at it, use the extinguishers. They come in handy for this exciting event!"

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

IIRC, people need to time to warm up and "thaw out" of hypersleep.  It's not like jumping out of your bunk and just being a little groggy.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Good pic, you can still see the cryo tube bumps..  See, I was trippin. :laugh:

Aren't the military ships supposed to have an intelligent, Mother-style system that operates them during deep space flight?  This itches the old questions of where the ship was in-transit back to Earth and why they drifted by Fiorina anyway, but Colonial Marines will answer all that shit swimmingly, right?

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Well the novelization has a pretty good answer. The EEV is set to set its course and land wherever it senses  civilization and radio transmissions, thats why it gravitated towards one and only settlement on Fury

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

^That's cool, but it didn't land very well.  Wait, I answered my own question by finding this article.  I bet one of you wrote this, it's pretty good. :laugh:

http://weyland-yutaniarchives.blogspot.com/2011/01/alien-3-why-did-eev-crash-land-other.html

Yes, I think in fact one of you did write it.

SM

SM

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Oct 04, 2012, 01:25:46 PM
"And while you're at it, use the extinguishers. They come in handy for this exciting event!"

"Pity you'll be too dead of smoke inhalation to use them!"

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

"Unless you put specific masks on."

(And always better than what the Sulaco did do as an emergency procedure)

Apart from that, a military spaceship from the future kind of should have better measurements against a fire.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Well the thing is there's no good reason for anything happening on the Sulaco... it's like an egg appearing on the Narcissus in beginning of Aliens. You would have to rewrite Alien 3 from scratch for anything to make sense. If Aliens was about going back to where the Derelict was 3 should have been about going where the Derelict originated.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

3 could have been all about Ripley going back to the Derelict Pilot race. Lovecraftian sort of tale.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Unless the whole ship was in danger of a catastrophic explosion, I'd think that simply moving the cryotubes to the EEV was good enough.  At least it would get the sleeping passengers out of immediate harm's way.

Alas, we never saw what became of the Sulaco.  Luckily, we have the think tank at Gearbox Software to tell us that it survived and returned to LV-426.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: RaisingCane on Oct 05, 2012, 07:35:20 PM
Unless the whole ship was in danger of a catastrophic explosion, I'd think that simply moving the cryotubes to the EEV was good enough.  At least it would get the sleeping passengers out of immediate harm's way.

Alas, we never saw what became of the Sulaco.  Luckily, we have the think tank at Gearbox Software to tell us that it survived and returned to LV-426.

Originally the whole ship was suppose to explode, and it was the explosion that propelled the EEV to Fury

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 05, 2012, 07:05:02 AM
^That's cool, but it didn't land very well.  Wait, I answered my own question by finding this article.  I bet one of you wrote this, it's pretty good. :laugh:

http://weyland-yutaniarchives.blogspot.com/2011/01/alien-3-why-did-eev-crash-land-other.html

Yes, I think in fact one of you did write it.
Nice article, but I'm still skeptical about the EEV being designed to fly through space and land on a planet.

SM

SM

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Oct 05, 2012, 01:41:11 PM
"Unless you put specific masks on."

"Now have some fourth degree burns."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed