Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 729,048 times)

SM

SM

Yep.

Bishop flying Ripley into the AP isn't harming her, because he knows that there is time for Ripley to potentially save Newt.  If it was ten minutes later he might violated his second law in order to keep the first intact.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I now wonder if androids have a verbal override command that Hicks may have used before he passed out.

SM

SM

"Kiss me, Bishop."

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Quote from: SM on Oct 03, 2012, 07:06:29 AM
"Kiss me, Bishop."

Oh my god.  :laugh:

Quote from: RaisingCane on Oct 03, 2012, 07:01:56 AM
I now wonder if androids have a verbal override command that Hicks may have used before he passed out.

Who knows, maybe, maybe not. It could be possible..

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

This is turning into a fun 3-laws loophole discussion.

But I'd like to point out that Ash was a company synthetic (whose nature was hidden from Dallas), and Bishop was a military synthetic.  If WY could've gotten to Bishop, I'm sure they would have, either as a backup plan in case of Burke's failure or alternate means of acquiring an egg.

Bishop would've been a lot more successful than Burke, and a lot less obvious due to his nature.  It was clear whose side Burke was on from the beginning, no surprise there.  He only revealed how far he was willing to go by the end.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

There must be some loopholes to Bishop's programming or else he'd be one hell of a potential liability for a squad of combat troops to hang out with.  Imagine him bounding over a stack of sandbags during a firefight to go play medic for some injured terrorist.  And that's assuming Bishop doesn't take the bullet for him to begin with.

The whole "omission of action" clause would quickly turn into a pain in the ass.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Good points.  I think that's why he plays more of a support role in the film; probably has a very strictly defined role within the squad.  Can't have an expensive synthetic charging out into a firefight trying to rescue someone who's wounded when human soldiers are so much cheaper.

The 3 laws most likely apply to Bishop's personal actions, not to things going down in the general environment.  He has to be limited by the specifics of his job, but these limitations wouldn't override his core behavioral inhibitors.

SM

SM

Bishop isn't military - he's ECA.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on Oct 03, 2012, 11:32:51 PM
Bishop isn't military - he's ECA.

ECA?

SM

SM

Extrasolar Colonisation Administration aka Colonial Administration.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on Oct 03, 2012, 11:56:45 PM
Extrasolar Colonisation Administration aka Colonial Administration.

How do we know that exactly?

SM

SM

QuoteThe ship is fully automated in interstellar flight so
        there is no crew, except for EXECUTIVE OFFICER (ECA) Bishop,
        who supervises planetary maneuvering.

stephen

stephen

Thanks for answering my question, or not.

Where is that from?  is it from the script?  is it from the novelisation? is it from the Colonial Marines Technical Manual?

SM

SM

Sorry, thought it was obvious it was from the script.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on Oct 04, 2012, 12:04:57 AM
Sorry, thought it was obvious it was from the script.

Well I assumed it was from the script - but really it could have been from anywhere.

But that's ok.  Thanks.

Which leads me to another question which may not be appropriate to ask here (if not let me know).

I suppose this goes back to the old canon debate.

But if something is written in the script and lets say it's the final working script, but it does not appear in the film.  Say a piece of dialogue is cut (for whatever reason) or whatever, can we take the script as canon, or is it a matter of "if it's not in the movie, it's not canon?"

That may not be necessarily appropriate for things like this which is simply a description of someone's title and what they do.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed