Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 639,524 times)

Space Sweeper

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

a million millions.

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

I like to picture the egg appearing out of thin air with a cartoonish 'pop' sound.

bov930527

bov930527

Quote from: Walk Evil Talk on May 11, 2011, 09:28:09 PM
I like to picture the egg appearing out of thin air with a cartoonish 'pop' sound.

Imagining that actually made me chuckle a little  :D

SM

SM

Quote from: keylight-di on May 11, 2011, 07:33:13 AM
Okay... I get it... The point of all of you. I guess, I shouldn't even try.

The what now?  ???

QuoteHow much time passes between that marines arrive to the colony and Hudson finding colonists? Or put it this way, how much time passes between Ripley finds Newt and Hudson locates colonists on the map? Simple as it is: we do not know.

Yes we do.  It's about 4 hours.

QuoteThe flight time that Bishop mentions from Sulaco to the colony is approximately 35 minutes (I do not know if that is exact because I do not remember all his lines in the film out of the top of my head).

50 minutes.  Not 35.

QuoteMeaning, that Burke would need about an hour and a half to go to the derelict, pick up eggs, fly the first dropship (remember now, it is not destroyed yet!), get back and return to Operations as if nothing had happen. We continue with this hypothesis and try to clear out the blanks to make it a plausible theory.

A few more things...

Burke had no jurisdiction over the marines.
Spunkmeyer is shown to be delivering stuff to Bishop from the dropship and not flying to the Derelict prior to Hudson finding the colonists.
No mention is made of Drake and Spunkmeyer's absence for at least 3 hours by any of the other marines.
How did they just happen to just stroll in and steal an egg from the Derelict when people who go into the Derelict usually leave with one of their number with a hugger attached to it's face?
Why did Burke order Bishop to keep the live huggers if he already had an egg?
Why did Burke try to infect Ripley and Newt if he had an egg?

"only true logical explanation"

I think not.

bov930527

bov930527

It is quiet interesting that every quetion you ask is thoroughly explained in the text, but okay, I will just copy myself.

Quote from: SM on May 11, 2011, 11:24:02 PM

QuoteHow much time passes between that marines arrive to the colony and Hudson finding colonists? Or put it this way, how much time passes between Ripley finds Newt and Hudson locates colonists on the map? Simple as it is: we do not know.

Yes we do.  It's about 4 hours.

Ohh, thats right, Hudson mentiones it (my bad). But still with a flight time been only 50 minutes to the Sulaco, 4 hours is more than enough.

A few more things...

Burke had no jurisdiction over the marines.

He had no jurisdiction over Ripley either and yet he managed to lure her to go with them to the planet in the first place. Tongue skills are much, much more dangerous than any jurisdiction my friend.

Spunkmeyer is shown to be delivering stuff to Bishop from the dropship and not flying to the Derelict prior to Hudson finding the colonists.

How long would it take to deliver that stuff? Like 10 minutes, 15 top. 3 hours 45 minutes to go...

No mention is made of Drake and Spunkmeyer's absence for at least 3 hours by any of the other marines.

If they would be taking a 3 hours long dump, who would really give a shit? Also, "Drake and Spunkmeyer" was just an example. It could be "Ferro and Wierzbowski" or "Spunkmeyer, Frost and Apone". 

How did they just happen to just stroll in and steal an egg from the Derelict when people who go into the Derelict usually leave with one of their number with a hugger attached to it's face?

They had luck. As you say "usually", not always.

Why did Burke order Bishop to keep the live huggers if he already had an egg?

He wanted the full set (egg, facehugger and an alien embryo).

Why did Burke try to infect Ripley and Newt if he had an egg?

He realized how illegal it would be to find a live body back on Earth and literally kill that person for the sake of this alien species. So he decided to take his chances in a place that could not be reached by the long arm of the law: LV-426 (especially with all the hell breaking loose). He would really gain a lot if he delievered all three. I mean, singlehandedly egg, facehugger and a live xenomorph, now that is "not bad for a human".

SM

SM

QuoteIt is quiet interesting that every quetion you ask is thoroughly explained in the text, but okay, I will just copy myself.

Not it's not - other than 'shit happens - just, like, because'.

QuoteOhh, thats right, Hudson mentiones it (my bad). But still with a flight time been only 50 minutes to the Sulaco, 4 hours is more than enough.

Hudson doesn't say it.  The mission time is on their monitors.

QuoteHe had no jurisdiction over Ripley either and yet he managed to lure her to go with them to the planet in the first place.

He offered her a contract.  Why would some marines pay any attention to a suit like Burke?

QuoteHow long would it take to deliver that stuff? Like 10 minutes, 15 top. 3 hours 45 minutes to go...

Depends on how much stuff he actually delivered.

QuoteIf they would be taking a 3 hours long dump, who would really give a shit? Also, "Drake and Spunkmeyer" was just an example. It could be "Ferro and Wierzbowski" or "Spunkmeyer, Frost and Apone".

Doesn't matter.  They would be missed - someone would "give a shit'.  Especially if they're only form of escape suddenly goes walkies.

QuoteThey had luck. As you say "usually", not always.

In this case usually = always.  How precisely are they going to stroll in and steal an egg without getting hugged?

As I said 'shit happens - just, like, because'.

bov930527

bov930527

1. Im just so darrn sure that he said "I found them, took me couple of hours but i found them". I watched the youtube clip with all his lines and it wasnt there, but I just know he sad it at some point... Ohh well.
Quote from: SM on May 12, 2011, 12:50:08 AM
He offered her a contract.  Why would some marines pay any attention to a suit like Burke?

Umm... Just, like, because?

But seriously, why would some scientists pay attention to a guy who says that gravity bends space-time continuum? Why would some people pay attention to a guy from Munick who says that jews should be exterminated from the face of the Earth? Why would some writers pay attention so someone who describes a life of a man on an undiscovered island. Why would anyone pay attention to anything anywhere really?

I understand your point, I do. But as you see it takes us nowhere and therefore I chose to ignore it.

3. We do not know how much stuff Spunkmeyer was transporting and I therefore chose to ignore that also.

4. "Missed"... yes I have issues with that also and I close my eyes upon the rest of marines having no idea where the first dropship really is.

5. I can tell you exectly how they are going to stroll in and steal an egg without geting hugged.
They went in, stole an egg and did not get facehugged. Thats how precisely.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

It's an interesting theory. By why would they stick it to the ceiling and not put it on ice?
If Ferro hadn't crashed, they would have gone up there, found the egg and Burke would probably have been chucked out the airlock.

SM

SM

QuoteBut seriously, why would some scientists pay attention to a guy who says that gravity bends space-time continuum?

Because they're scientists and the guy can show the maths to back it up.

QuoteWhy would some people pay attention to a guy from Munick who says that jews should be exterminated from the face of the Earth?

Because people in desperate times feel better when they have a convenient target to blame for the desperate times.
(I'm guessing you're talking about Hitler who was from Austria rather than Munick(sic).)

QuoteWhy would some writers pay attention so someone who describes a life of a man on an undiscovered island.

'Cos it's a good read.

In a nutshell - you haven't answered the question, simply by asking more questions.

Quote5. I can tell you exectly how they are going to stroll in and steal an egg without geting hugged.
They went in, stole an egg and did not get facehugged. Thats how precisely.

Which again brings us back to "like, because".

If you want to formulate the "only true logical explanation" you need some - indeed any - evidence to hang it on.

bov930527

bov930527

@ SM:

Fine...

Marines would listen to Burke because he comes with the same thing he comes to Ripley later in the film with. He tells them they will be rich and most military enlisted personnel have pretty low salaries in comparement to the officer staff, so money would definetely work as a lure since human civilization has proven that humans do intend to get greedy. He also claims that they will be heroes, back on Earth, that thanks to these species they will help find cure for cancer and all possible things. He ensures them no one would get hurt, since they will only transport the egg and nothing else (and that is eventually the only thing they do).

Concerning #5... I could literally write a post describing their every, every breath, every breath they take during the egg-stealing. But that would be like an entire chapter of a book and I am just too lazy to describe everything. Think of it like a very skilled sniper. How do you logically explain that he manages to hit all the targets. You can start off describing his mental state, his childhood, then we can move on to technical issues like the wind speed, the angle of the rifle, etc.. But thats just too time consuming, especially when you know that the side you are arguing with is aware of the existing logic behind the argument. Explaining would simply be... meaningless.

How can I possibly provide evidence for something that is not in the film? Because that is what you are asking me to do. To proof existence of something that does not exist. Its like saying "Voldemort does not exist unless you can proof it". How am I suppose to show you logic to define pure imagination? That is philosophy and people have been trying to do that for centuries so dont expect me to answer that question.

And that is what makes this explanation logical to me. It does not hang nor depend on any other logic shown by the film, whilst explanation with Queen does.

@TheMonolith:

I do not even know if they have ice on Sulaco  :-\. As I said, this theory is a very long way from foolproof. If you have a creative mind, feel free to fill up the missing parts  :D

SM

SM

QuoteFine...

Marines would listen to Burke because he comes with the same thing he comes to Ripley later in the film with. He tells them they will be rich and most military enlisted personnel have pretty low salaries in comparement to the officer staff, so money would definetely work as a lure since human civilization has proven that humans do intend to get greedy. He also claims that they will be heroes, back on Earth, that thanks to these species they will help find cure for cancer and all possible things. He ensures them no one would get hurt, since they will only transport the egg and nothing else (and that is eventually the only thing they do).

Money could indeed be a lure.  Glory not so much.  However, they're shown to be a fairly tight-knit bunch and I can't picture one or a few betraying the others.  Burke would be better off trying to get Gorman on side since he's an outsider too.

QuoteConcerning #5... I could literally write a post describing their every, every breath, every breath they take during the egg-stealing. But that would be like an entire chapter of a book and I am just too lazy to describe everything. Think of it like a very skilled sniper. How do you logically explain that he manages to hit all the targets. You can start off describing his mental state, his childhood, then we can move on to technical issues like the wind speed, the angle of the rifle, etc.. But thats just too time consuming, especially when you know that the side you are arguing with is aware of the existing logic behind the argument. Explaining would simply be... meaningless.

Rubbish.  All you need to is concoct a scenario where a bunch of dudes can steal an Alien egg without getting facehugged that's halfway believable.  All that technical stuff is rubbish.  In terms of displaying it in a film with the sniper example - no one gives a shit how.  We just need to see that he's a good sniper.

QuoteHow can I possibly provide evidence for something that is not in the film? Because that is what you are asking me to do. To proof existence of something that does not exist. Its like saying "Voldemort does not exist unless you can proof it". How am I suppose to show you logic to define pure imagination? That is philosophy and people have been trying to do that for centuries so dont expect me to answer that question.

Again, rubbish.  When dealing with something like this, you just need to point to stuff in the film that can support your hypothesis.  All you've done is use Burke, which is obviously valid, to come up with something utterly unbelievable.

QuoteAnd that is what makes this explanation logical to me.

Even though it's utterly devoid of logic.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Active duty military personnel cannot take money that isn't given to them in their salaries by the government.  Its illegal.  Its why the Bin Laden killing SEAL isn't getting a cent of that bounty.  It's why an army intelligence collector can't come home after his 9 hours on base and put another two or three hours in at a defense agency and triple his weekly income.

WY could offer the Marines money illegally, but they'd better hope they didn't get caught by their earth government.  Obviously the said government has pull, or there would be no need for the cloak and dagger stuff in the first place.  WY would just do what it wanted.

SM

SM

QuoteWY could offer the Marines money illegally, but they'd better hope they didn't get caught by their earth government.

Particularly since everything is no doubt being recorded.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It'd be pretty suspicious if every marine had time un accounted for on his mission cams.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed