Alien 3rd person view, yay or nay?

Started by Dowly, Apr 04, 2012, 06:56:50 PM

Alien will be played from third-person view. What's your take on it?

Good idea!
53 (45.3%)
No, stick to 1st person view.
47 (40.2%)
I don't care.
17 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Author
Alien 3rd person view, yay or nay? (Read 25,258 times)

Dowly

Dowly

So, as the previews from the MP side of the game brings the good news of both Marines and Aliens being
playable, they also mention that the Alien will be played from third-person view to be less "disorienting".

What's everyone's take on that?

Personally, I can't get immersed in third-person view, at all. No matter how immersive the graphics and the
surroundings are, a 3rd person view ruins it completely.

Discuss.

WinterActual

I like it but it brings some advantage for the alien team because they can see behind corners without popping their head out.

predxeno

3rd person Alien reminds me of the cheat you can use in single player AVP2 where you can also have 3rd person; it was actually quite fun playing from that perspective.

Dowly, you should make a poll for this question. :)

Dowly

Dowly

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 04, 2012, 07:41:29 PMDowly, you should make a poll for this question. :)

Yeah, I really should've, don't use polls usually. :)

Poll added!

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

i'm mixed about it. on one hand, the gameplay will not only be radically different control wise from the marine but also in the way the game is perceived, like having two games in one, and it will help develop different tactics for each team overtime.

on the other hand, big part of the appeal of the alien is to do get to walk on walls, do acrobatics and get in character with the creature as if it was your own skin. i think that the kills won't be as satisfying either, since you'll no longer feel like a slasher monster personally slaughtering victims. besides 3PV usually has you seeing the whole character from above, which can be troublesome in cramped spaces. and i have no idea how an over-the-shoulder perspective would work.

Le Celticant

I don't like 3rd person.
If it is as an option, I wouldn't mind.
But constantly playing 3rd person would be sooooo annoying.

Predaker

I will reserve judgement until I see gameplay footage from the alien third person view. Obviously a toggle feature between first/third person would be the best of both worlds.

predxeno

Yeah, I've always wondered why they never showed us any Alien gameplay footage. ???

newbeing

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 04, 2012, 08:25:08 PM
Yeah, I've always wondered why they never showed us any Alien gameplay footage. ???

I heard it was looking a little rough. Probably don't want to show it in that state. I'm going to check it out this weekend and see how it looks and controls.

Chris!(($$))!

I am half half on this. I completely see why they have chosen Third Person for the Xenos but at the same time I'd still like to play it from a First person view.

And stuff

Bad idea, they should just give the Xeno first-person with more POV and different vision.

SM

SM

I remember when they changed Resurrection from third to first person.  Pretty sure the reasoning was it increased the tension, by limiting your field of view.  Considering Aliens have more heightened senses than humans, I think the reasoning is sound (if that is the reasoning).  Whether it works any better in terms of the gameplay - who knows.  Always thought the inner jaw POV view in AvP was pretty silly.

[T)A]DarkDragon

its hard to say before we see it
but it sounds like a good move, its going to be cool watching your alien move.

Le Celticant

3rd person is probably "cool" since you see your character.
But that's all it is.
I remember trying to play Alien in 3rd person view and doing some wallwalk stuff in AVP2.
It was horrible.
Playing first person view isn't easy when you have to stick to the walls.
But third person is just horrible.

Which also explains why in Multiplayer there are no players playing Aliens who tries to stick to the walls.  ::)
That's the first thing you could expect in any alien video game when you play as alien.

Quote from: SMAlways thought the inner jaw POV view in AvP was pretty silly.
I agree and they don't necessarily have to put the POV to the jaw but to "face" of the Alien.

newbeing

I vote I don't care. Or at least I would like to see how it works first. I hope they can implement both, but I'm fine with trying something a little different. I can imagine it would work similar to the catwoman gameplay in Batman: AC.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed