Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,652 times)

Kimarhi

Seeing how much money is made from film and tv I don't think it really matters what the EU does until they decide for sure what they want to do with those. 

It might even be better for them to orient it in a way that there is no continuity with the films, just like DH did.  That way nobody cares that all of a sudden the top secret xenomorphs are known enough that you no longer have a Patna flying halfway across the galaxy to try and pick one up.  There are reserves enough for them to just get Aliens from where they need them. 

SM

SM

Quote from: SpaceKase on Mar 27, 2021, 08:32:46 PM
Quote from: judge death on Mar 27, 2021, 02:31:37 PM
If they arent rare and they have lots of them and its pretty much known, it will be very hard to fit it properly and explain why its said in alien resurrection for all meaningful and known purposes the species was wiped out by ripley in the last 200 years.

So now we have this and if weyland is well aware of this and marines too and they have aliens all over then its a bit ignoring what has been established.

Story from what I read seems okayish if you are deep alien fan and can ignore parts, its great for those who dont care or know much of the alien universe I would say after reading reviews.

Yeah, but when we talk about famous figures of history and the fine details of events from 1821, how accurately are we truly speaking? Usually we're working off of sketchy information pieced together from skewed and disparate sources and filling in the blanks with our propagandized fantasy of the myths and legends we're told along the way. There's no more USCMC in Resurrection and there's no more Weyland-Yutani, and God only knows what blatherskite slant of history Walmart is pumping into people's corporate sponsored educations in the dystopic 24th Century. So there's at least some wiggle room. Also, there are several alternate continuities in the EU media already and this is potentially just one more.

Assuming there's no information blackout, we'll know a great deal about current events in the future because there's so much information available.  Way more than we know about 1821.

That said we were planning a USM imposed 1984-esque info blackout at Fox over a century or so before Resurrection, where lots of stuff got memory-holed, so stories could be told post-Alien 3 and Resurrection could still exist as-is.

BlueMarsalis79

Tie it into the Auton Rebellion, history repeats.

SM

SM

Auton rebellion wasn't really linked in as that happened not long before Resurrection.

BlueMarsalis79

I think it might work though, especially considering Call's motivations.

SM

SM

It might've, but it was very late in the piece of a concept that was invented to let everything co-exist.

Local Trouble

I thought that was The Big Deletion. ???

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 27, 2021, 11:41:11 PM
I thought that was The Big Deletion. ???
That's the ideal reason, but that's AvP franchise and they're trying to keep that isolated from the solo Aliens franchise, so some other random thing has to be created to fill in the cause.

Quote from: SM on Mar 27, 2021, 10:29:06 PM

Assuming there's no information blackout, we'll know a great deal about current events in the future because there's no much information available.  Way more than we know about 1821.

That said we were planning a USM imposed 1984-esque info blackout at Fox over a century or so before Resurrection, where lots of stuff got memory-holed, so stories could be told post-Alien 3 and Resurrection could still exist as-is.

I was gonna say, that's a big ask. This is Dystopia, no one gets a clear undistorted picture except the powers that be. The examples are both AvP franchise but I think that was the conceit of the first chapter in Lebbon's RW, a few years before Resurrection, top secret projects. I think they took the same track in the infamous Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator. ::smh:: bless. I like to think of it as the unofficial fourth chapter of Xenogenesis.

I like the idea of the military imposed dark ages though, it conjures imagery of resistance cells and monks in secret enclaves preserving knowledge through illuminated manuscription. Sort of a Running Man meets Fahrenheit 451, or maybe the A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Kimarhi

The big deletion is the epitome of lazy writing that should never seriously be considered in anything that Marvel/Disney whoever ends up with the Alien franchise under Disney should ever consider.

There is no way a big deletion would work ESPECIALLY if you try to use it to cover up the Alien EARTH WAR that ended with the ALIENS STILL ON THE PLANET with many DIFFERENT CORPORATIONS IN CONTROL OF ALIEN SPECIMENS. 

It always annoyed the f**k out of me at how absolutely lazy that was when they tried to throw it out there to realign their EU into a more unified continuity. 

I remember it saying that it effectively reduced humanity to the stone age and then humanity recovered in 200 years.  Ridiculous.

SM

SM

Yeah that never worked.  And The Big Deletion wasn't going to change when David created the Aliens.

My idea is that the information was tightly controlled - not just Aliens - whatever the United Systems saw fit - "we've always been at war with Eastasia" etc.  Outside their jurisdiction it was a different matter but even then Aliens were treated as conspiracy theories and most who heard the conspiracy thought it was bullshit.

Kimarhi

I didn't even bother trying to fit it together.

I mean bombed out buildings and rebuilding things on earth after the EU earth war would take hundreds of years by itself.  I mean its 75 years after WWII and we are still digging unexploded ordnance from Europe.  Imagine workers just forgetting about having to unf**k skyskrapers full of Alien goo and dead human bodies.  Nobody is going to just stop remembering those horror stories. 

Alien Res didn't even need the big deletion.  They just ran out of Aliens in the movie timeline.  It is what it is there.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 28, 2021, 02:48:14 AM
The big deletion is the epitome of lazy writing that should never seriously be considered in anything that Marvel/Disney whoever ends up with the Alien franchise under Disney should ever consider.

There is no way a big deletion would work ESPECIALLY if you try to use it to cover up the Alien EARTH WAR that ended with the ALIENS STILL ON THE PLANET with many DIFFERENT CORPORATIONS IN CONTROL OF ALIEN SPECIMENS. 

It always annoyed the f**k out of me at how absolutely lazy that was when they tried to throw it out there to realign their EU into a more unified continuity. 

I remember it saying that it effectively reduced humanity to the stone age and then humanity recovered in 200 years.  Ridiculous.

Probably not the Stone Age, more like, Capt Trips from The Stand level devastation, only with all data and tech blitzed out.  Essentially, Silver Smile from TCF.  Of course, just like any worthwhile modern doomsday, the real ruckus would come from the inhumanity of man upon man in the havoc wrought afterward. But again, the Big Deletion is the AvP franchise, so it's not much of an issue in that regard.

Kimarhi

The big deletion wouldn't work at getting rid of information because there are too many ways at maintaining information without having networked technology.

Humanity wouldn't just tumble all the way back to the stoneage, we'd go back to right where we were before the interstellar age where there are plenty of ways to record information.  When you walk up a hill you don't trip and fall to the bottom of the hill, you roll down and stop somewhere between the top and the bottom.

I maintain, it is LAZY attempt at a cure all.  The Big Deletion was only used to make people forget that Aliens had been on earth in the EU.  That is the problem.  Had they not been on Earth you could have used it more effectively.  As it stands within 200 years where the Aliens are still on Earth in the first place its just about the most half assed attempt at a reboot for a franchise I've ever seen.

OK guys, we will just have humanity collectively forget about the Aliens that are still running around on earth, because of a technology issue. 

RidgeTop

Newsarama review. I think this nicely puts into words some feelings I had after reading through this comic.

https://www.gamesradar.com/alien-1-review-comic/?fbclid=IwAR0hLkT0JowrdjaPjg-3TSnm6F4AQW57ml07AWXeL-Cr-8Xoazpgwt84xC8

Prez

Prez

... well I caved.

My curiosity got the better of me and well ... dammit ... I might as well read the damn thing and make my own judgement from there.

All I can say is I didn't honestly mind the story, I was interested enough but the artwork was soulless to me. Detailed and super clean enough but has no emotion so it took me right out of it at times. That key double spread we've all scene looks like one rushed photoshop comp.

I will admit that I probably subconsciously was paying a lot closer attention to the artwork given all that has been said on here. So I need to take that into consideration too.

Spoiler
So the SIL/Li inspired would seem to exist ... hmmm. Also hoofs? Hmmmm
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed