Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,299 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Mar 20, 2021, 03:46:50 AM
I don't know why any of you would pay money to find out after all this. I sure as f**k am not.

Yes it looks abysmal, not just on an artistic level, but the Species creature like the Hammerpede feels tacked on and inappropriate, and likely a fundamental misunderstanding of the rules of Alien and also The Pathogen.

SM

SM

QuoteSo I might be right about the Neca toys being used.

I've read Dark Horse scripts where they say which Neca figures to use for reference.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Mar 20, 2021, 06:01:40 AM
QuoteSo I might be right about the Neca toys being used.

I've read Dark Horse scripts where they say which Neca figures to use for reference.
That's hilarious.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I think we've well covered the difference between referencing and straight up copying/tracing and using filters.

One of few DH comics I remember for the tracing was in Fire and Stone and it bothered me then too. Also DH didn't come out of the gate  with a cocaphony of traced and stolen art like Marvel has.

If you guys want to feed this garbage then thats your choice. For me this has been an eye opener in regard to the growing trend of tracing and copying in the industry. I love original Alien art but now I can't even see a new pc of art without wondering what it's been stolen from. It really feels like the right time to step away from the comics.

SM

SM

Since I don't collect the toys, I didn't even notice it in Fire & Stone until someone (RidgeTop I think) pointed it out.  Now I can't unsee it.

Voodoo Magic

Wow, this thread is bumming me out. I was really looking forward to an Alien ongoing series, but now? Serious trepidation. I'm still going to check this out, but I am totally behind the fans casting a vote with their wallet too.

Ugh, we're supposed to be brimming with anticipation at this point. Now I just hope the Predator ongoing doesn't suffer from the same negative build-up.  :-[

Kimarhi

Disney diving right into a franchise without proper planning is kind of the norm though innit?

Ultramorph

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 20, 2021, 01:45:51 PM
Disney diving right into a franchise without proper planning is kind of the norm though innit?

Seems to be what happened with Star Wars, but those comics seem to be getting good reviews these days.
If this series is a stinker, it doesn't mean they won't do better stories later.

Nightmare Asylum

A lot of the Star Wars comics are also filled with this kind of lazy tracing - by and large that fanbase just doesn't seem to notice (or care) as much, I guess.

This disgusts me so much here, and the person I really feel for is writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson. Every interview I've heard with him has been great. I'm incredibly interested in his ideas, his interpretation and take on the Alien universe, and where this comic seems to be going. But the art is just such an incredibly major turnoff; I can't even imagine being in his shoes, and being paired with this. :-X

Ultramorph

Agreed, hopefully the writing is good. Artists don't really stay on things long at Marvel, so maybe we'll get a better artist after an arc or two, assuming the book doesn't crash and burn sales wise.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: SM on Mar 20, 2021, 12:11:24 PM
Since I don't collect the toys, I didn't even notice it in Fire & Stone until someone (RidgeTop I think) pointed it out.  Now I can't unsee it.

Apologies for that. That was the first comic in these franchises that I noticed did this.

Patrick Reynolds for Aliens: Fire & Stone.

I met Reynolds at Salt Lake FanX (Our Comic Con), and he was a nice guy, nothing against him. I don't understand the deadline schedules that artists work under in the comic industry, which is an industry that's changed a lot since even the 90's and early 2000's. I understand different artists have different methods and Reynolds can still effectively structure a scene.

But this sort of stuff just doesn't fly with me, and I'm seeing it more and more. I recently finally got around to Alien: The Original Screenplay and in that one as well, a bunch of retooled backgrounds used for the ship nearly ruined the experience for me of an otherwise good comic.

I think SizzyBubbles illustrated it nicely here. You can draw from reference, that's what they teach you in art, but that reference should be a starting point to get the basics down, not the foundation of the piece itself.

https://twitter.com/SizzyBubbles/status/1359306469254918146

If one can't draw Aliens, one shouldn't be working on an Alien comic. This is just so lazy and really should be called out. If I'm seeing reused environments and elements I've already seen before just tweaked a bit, it takes me right out of the experience. Art needs to be prioritized just as much as writing in Comics, and this sort of thing just isn't good artistic practice. I want to see an illustrator's skill and imagination, not what they could collage together and draw over in Photoshop.

Tristan Jones also noticed the background from that terrible looking scene in Alien #1 was also ripped:

https://twitter.com/tyrannojones/status/1373256996699348993

Nightmare Asylum

Never did read any of the Fire & Stone stuff. I was initially intrigued by the idea of prequel elements starting to surface in the comics, but the idea of doing it in a "vs Predator" style crossover rubbed me the wrong way.

That's one of the things that excited me about Marvel's #1; actual prequel elements in a non-crossover comic! Shame about the art...

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 20, 2021, 02:28:26 PM
But this sort of stuff just doesn't fly with me, and I'm seeing it more and more. I recently finally got around to Alien: The Original Screenplay and in that one as well, a bunch of retooled backgrounds used for the ship nearly ruined the experience for me of an otherwise good comic.

And that's Dark Horse. How deep would the rabbit hole go if we went back and started looking at all the DH comics I wonder?

QuoteTristan Jones also noticed the background from that terrible looking scene in Alien #1 was also ripped:

https://twitter.com/tyrannojones/status/1373256996699348993

Wow.

judge death

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 20, 2021, 01:54:00 PM
A lot of the Star Wars comics are also filled with this kind of lazy tracing - by and large that fanbase just doesn't seem to notice (or care) as much, I guess.

This disgusts me so much here, and the person I really feel for is writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson. Every interview I've heard with him has been great. I'm incredibly interested in his ideas, his interpretation and take on the Alien universe, and where this comic seems to be going. But the art is just such an incredibly major turnoff; I can't even imagine being in his shoes, and being paired with this. :-X
Star wars fans who know the lore and cared and is long time fans dislike marvels star wars comics for a reason, pretty much same we have with the oncoming aliens comics. Plus they have been tracing and copying and stealing fan art for their comics for years so its nothing new :P Its how marvel operate and disney deep diving and throwing out products to sell asap, they f**ked up with star wars and now with mandalorian etc, they will do the same with aliens, trust me.

For the story writer: I dont know, him makign this species/xeno chick gerrigan copy and then having the hammerpede and prometheus stuff into the story sounds to me like someone who dont know the lore on the deep level but just seen the movies and got tow rite a script, so far Im not impressed by the story and throwing in whatever in the story as he seem fit.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: judge death on Mar 20, 2021, 04:30:04 PM
For the story writer: I dont know, him makign this species/xeno chick gerrigan copy and then having the hammerpede and prometheus stuff into the story sounds to me like someone who dont know the lore on the deep level but just seen the movies and got tow rite a script, so far Im not impressed by the story and throwing in whatever in the story as he seem fit.

Eh. Lore is kinda neither here nor there for me. If it suits the story that he's trying to tell, and the story is well told, then I say have at it with that stuff. I'm not one to get too hung up on continuity and the like.

The "art" and presentation here is a much bigger concern to me than any lore issues.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed