Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 279,059 times)

BlueMarsalis79

No I blame capitalism.

Xiggz456

I get everyone wanting one of a kind art (I do too!) but being married to a professional artist I know how prevalent it is for artists to use a reference photo to varying degrees including tracing (which surprisingly was even encouraged during her art school days by painting professors who say it's just another tool at an artists disposal). Ultimately it comes down to time with most artists; do you put in 50-100 hours for an original piece or put in 10 hours on a piece that you used a reference photo for? Especially once we're talking comics and you need a quick turnaround the answer is easy because there is no way you'll be fairly compensated for the hours put in on the original piece. Obviously there are exceptions but even in art galleries you'd be surprised at how many pieces are traced to get the base outline and then the artist fills in the rest.

BlueMarsalis79

Pay your artists more and give them time.

Kradan

That's not how business works. Must unfortunate. It's all about getting your product out as quickly as possible

judge death

Dark horse dont have that working ethics for the major part. Especielly 2000AD wont ever allow tracing and only do unique art for their series, dark justice book with the return of the dark judges took 4 years to finish the art for!

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 02, 2021, 03:42:59 PM
That's not how business works. Must unfortunate. It's all about getting your product out as quickly as possible

Bullshit, look at Image and Dark Horse.

Kradan

And who is bigger and more financially successful company ?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Diamond's the winner overall because of holding a stranglehold monopoly over the industry for so bloody long.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/apr/20/great-depression-will-comic-books-survive-coronavirus-marvel-cuts

But while Marvel and DC routinely profit more on single issues they don't often have the reader retention DH and Image inspire.

And Image makes far more through trades than any of the others. And DH's getting along fine far as I am aware.

QuoteImage Comics titles have garnered both comics and mainstream critical acclaim. Image Comics titles boast multiple award nominations and wins across all categories in the Eisner Awards, Hugo Awards, Russ Manning Awards, The Edgar Awards, Bram Stoker Awards, Young Adult Library Association's Great Graphic Novels for Teens, and more. Image Comics' title list includes domestic and international bestsellers with regular appearances on The New York Times bestseller list, The Washington Post's bestseller list, USA Today's bestseller list, the Amazon.com bestseller list, and more.

In July 2018, Marjorie Liu won the Eisner Award for Best Writer for her work on Monstress, making her the first woman in history to win in the category.

In April 2019, Image Comics titles received a total 30 Eisner Award nominations—more than any other nominated publisher—and made history as the first publisher to sweep the Best New Series category, with all six titles nominated published by Image.

Kradan

OK, my point is that getting your product out quickly and with questionable quality has nothing to do with creative side of making comics

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 02, 2021, 01:32:35 PM
Pay your artists more and give them time.
How I wish this was the standard..... :'(

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 02, 2021, 07:40:29 PM
OK, my point is that getting your product out quickly and with questionable quality has nothing to do with creative side of making comics

Incorrect.

Kradan

Ugh, whatever

judge death

Gives me more reasons why to not support marvel and support avatar, dark horse and 2000AD who makes stunning art and pays their artist well. The dark justice book have near photorealistic art, as the artist said: tried to do a horror movie quality in his art, looks damn stunning :D

Prez

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 02, 2021, 06:43:44 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 02, 2021, 03:42:59 PM

Bullshit, look at Image and Dark Horse.

One thing to remember is that Image have full creator ownership. The onus is on the creators to produce quality and probably with far more unique artistic license too. Marvel and DC are pretty much major production lines. It's about quantity to them. You'll find in most creative businesses that the bigger you are the more it becomes about the bottom line, profit margins, production efficiency .... which usually also means you'll take the shortest route to the biggest return.

I say this simply from working within that industry for over 30 years too.

BlueMarsalis79

I understand but that's why I cited both Image and Dark Horse.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed