Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film!

Started by MudButt, Mar 04, 2022, 10:06:48 PM

Author
Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film! (Read 60,432 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 31, 2022, 02:01:02 PMUrgh. I know it's off-topic but that is just one of the things I find immensely frustrating about Shaw (and people).

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Prometheus. The plot is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of metaphysics most of the story will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Davids's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these themes, to realise that they're not just macabre- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Prometheus truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the nuance in Shaw's existential catchphrase "It's what I choose to believe," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Damon Lindelof's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

Corporal Hicks

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 01, 2022, 12:04:41 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 31, 2022, 02:01:02 PMUrgh. I know it's off-topic but that is just one of the things I find immensely frustrating about Shaw (and people).

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Prometheus. The plot is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of metaphysics most of the story will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Davids's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these themes, to realise that they're not just macabre- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Prometheus truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the nuance in Shaw's existential catchphrase "It's what I choose to believe," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Damon Lindelof's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

I've actually read general commentary like this for Alien Covenant, sans the sarcasm.

Jun 01, 2022, 01:05:21 PM

"My truth"?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 01, 2022, 01:01:16 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 01, 2022, 12:04:41 PM

I've actually read general commentary like this for Alien Covenant, sans the sarcasm.

That's why it's funny!  :P

Jun 01, 2022, 01:05:21 PM

"My truth"?

Precisely.

Pretentious substitute for "non-negotiable personal opinion."

Often used by academics, this is a convenient phrase for avoiding arguments because people can contradict your opinion but not your "truth."

The phrase is often used when seeking to justify a controversial personal stance or action because people are not allowed to argue with "your truth."

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=My%20Truth

Especially from a scientist character. The whole point of science is to challenge and reevaluate and learn. I just find her and that so frustrating.

St_Eddie

Just for the record; I was using that image ironically.  I also think that it's a terrible line of dialogue and in that moment, it makes Shaw deeply unlikable as a character.

BigDaddyJohn

So Prometheus has some pretentious intentions, and a pretentious director huh ? That's pretty accurate  ;D

Hope Alvarez doesn't have the same problem, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Scott's god complex began pretty late in his career.

Corporal Hicks

According to a comment from Perfect Organism's JM, this is apparently already filming in Puerto Rico.

skhellter

!!!!!
there's got to be some production article somewhere, probably in spanish.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 05, 2022, 09:46:51 AMAccording to a comment from Perfect Organism's JM, this is apparently already filming in Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico??

That's a Caribbean island. Probably some kind of tropical/jungle setting then IF true?

The Blue Beetle production is the only major film that I'm currently picking up on radar there.

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 05, 2022, 09:46:51 AMAccording to a comment from Perfect Organism's JM, this is apparently already filming in Puerto Rico.
What source? Seems very unlikely it's already filming.

Nightmare Asylum

Digging through a lot of the usual suspects (Production Weekly and the like) and haven't been able to find anything yet.

Curious about this, though...

If this is true, from what I'm seeing Puerto Rico's film commission doesn't really seem to be boasting any soundstage/studio space, so if it is shooting there then I'd imagine the reason would be that they want to make some use of the area itself.

https://puertoricofilm.ddec.pr.gov/

BigDaddyJohn

Interesting setting if this is true.

Kimarhi

Imagines the amazing big idea to just set Alien in the Predator movie. 

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Just laying down a summoning circle of urns in an attempt to manifest some actual information about this film at the 20th Century Studios D23 panel on Saturday...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed