AlienExplorations Blog

Started by wmmvrrvrrmm, Feb 10, 2013, 03:00:53 PM

Author
AlienExplorations Blog (Read 50,998 times)

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

I've just posted on my blog an article about Moebius' influence on Prometheus. Most of the connections have been discovered by people at this forum already.

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/exploring-moebius-influences-on.html

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I've always had an admiration for the input and effort you put in your blog, especially when I saw you even made a transcript of some of the commentaries (even the 'raw' Ridley Scott one -- Cool and funny at the same time). Been a follower for a long time.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Thankyou. I'll be putting up more commentaries soon. I've been working on the other Alien commentary as well mixed with the Blur-ray version of the commentary that has been editied slightly differently which has been confusing but slowly I'm working on it. But I'm half way through transcribing the 3.5 hour documentary for Prometheus as well which is a bit more straightforwards

Alien³

Alien³

Awesome read!

Virgil

Virgil

Really interesting read. Thanks for posting, wmmvrrvrrmm.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Moebius article was great. Thank you :)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Amen, what a great article. Really love you bringing these visual/thematic crossovers to our attention, it's spectacular. Increases my appreciation for both the film and the original artwork.  :)

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Thankyou everyone. Yes,  finding the ways he leaned on Moebius imagery certainly helped me appreciate more the poetic licence he had for all the changes that he made

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

I've done my best to transcribe the notes from Carlos Huante's Prometheus artwork video, and also add images of various things from nature that he talks about in relation to visual ideas for the film. I admit that there are still a couple of words that I can't read properly but maybe one day I'll work them out. http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/carlos-huantes-prometheus-notes.html

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Mar 11, 2013, 12:27:27 AM
I've done my best to transcribe the notes from Carlos Huante's Prometheus artwork video, and also add images of various things from nature that he talks about in relation to visual ideas for the film. I admit that there are still a couple of words that I can't read properly but maybe one day I'll work them out. http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/carlos-huantes-prometheus-notes.html

Another great read  ;). Thanks for taking the time to do this.

nonentity

nonentity

Thanks for posting!!  There are some really interesting things in those notes.  The hammerpede actually being an experiment that was ditched for a better design.  I guess the one thing that I really feel they should have shown in Prometheus is how some of their advanced biotech works.  It was stated in the notes how they wanted to show the engineers controlled their tech on a molecular level but in the film we do not get a true feeling of this.  There are hints of it, like when David looks at the green goo up close and says "impressive", but they never show us what he even saw. 

It is also interesting that at one point Huante actually puts Angels in parenthesis referring to the engineers.  I thought it was very fitting that the movie went the route it did because I remember reading a long time ago that Ridley and others were staring at the alien Giger created for the first movie and speculating how it actually came to be - Ridley's response from the reflection was that it had to be a demon.... kind of strange in a pretty hard sci-fi movie but coming from Giger's art it makes sense :P

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: nonentity on Mar 11, 2013, 08:00:44 PM
  It was stated in the notes how they wanted to show the engineers controlled their tech on a molecular level but in the film we do not get a true feeling of this.

well, at least this is what Carlos had as an idea

"The engineer tech should form as water (Milky Liquid) that pours unnaturally upward and over them (The Engineers) to form boney plating or ribs, and architectural surfaces. Like they control it at a molecular level."

Mmmmm, I wonder if thats the explanation for this stuff...?

PS - Good work wmmvrrvrrmm. It has to be said that new batch of Carlos Huante stuff is excellent, and very much in the spirit of Giger. Looks like those original concept drawings paid a bit more respect to the massive Space Jockey proportions and general distorted humanoid alieness of their being. He even has six fingers...

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed