ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 386,886 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Might be as simple as keeping the Aliens or the worlds or the company or whatever else in line with how they're going to be portrayed in the new film. Even if it's a different timeline, they probably don't want things straying too far off the path of what we're going to be seeing over the next few years.

RakaiThwei

I'm still trying to wrap my head to how Rage War is accommodating for Alienkamp (I refuse to call it Alien 5 since officially, it's not being called that) because that would imply that a script has already been produced, and that Lebbon has looked at it or that Fox has looked at it and given him a list as to what to do and not to do in order not to give anything away. For this movie to be set in the Resurrection era, more or less would set it in conflict with the upcoming movie UNLESS... references to Resurrection were removed.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 09, 2015, 12:40:58 PM
I'd be quite surprised if they did. Judging by the timeline included in the book, the info regarding the third and fourth films is quite ingrained into it. Be pretty hard to just lop it out without affecting the book. Plus, it's already been released as-is in some countries.

I would be surprised if they had added Alienkamp to this book as well, though I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen. Working Alienkamp around Alien 3 and Resurrection, and keeping in mind of the things Blomkamp said is pretty hard to do.. well, not really since the whole Bobby Ewing route is an easy, easy but cheap cop out. But even if those were retconned to be dreams (I'd be pretty mad if they were and just not ignored-- not because I hate 3 and Resurrection, I love 3 but Resurrection is another story) then how would the source book keep dreams as "real" in-universe or even have a reason to keep them? Why would new EU material so much as even reference them aside from dreams them?

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 09, 2015, 12:40:58 PM
The only way I can see it being edited to fit the new film is if Blomkamp's movie somehow isn't a retcon and happens around the existing movies.

Personally, I hope the movie ignores Alien 3 and Resurrection and has no relation to them aside from the characters. I say this not because I hate Alien 3 and Resurrection, but it would cement what I've long since believed-- alternate timelines. Everything would have an assigned place. Call me selfish, but if it does what other franchises have done (you know which ones since I reference them), then I would be very happy and no one would be wrong in which path they follow.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 09, 2015, 01:01:30 PM
Might be as simple as keeping the Aliens or the worlds or the company or whatever else in line with how they're going to be portrayed in the new film. Even if it's a different timeline, they probably don't want things straying too far off the path of what we're going to be seeing over the next few years.

That might be the likely scenario. Everything which Blomkamp is saying so far suggest that this is a different timeline. Or as Hicks refers to it.. an alternate sequel. Having that said, Nightmare, I think you are on the ball with that statement.

The only way I can see Alien 5 being put into new EU stuff, or Weyland-Yutani Report is if they print out a second edition which keeps Alien 3's concepts (not necessary the events of Fury-161) and outright ignore Alien Resurrection.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 09, 2015, 12:24:56 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 09, 2015, 07:25:47 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was changed in some way to accommodate Alien 5. We know Rage Wars was.

Wait, what?

Why accommodate for a movie if it's supposed to ignore two movies?

I don't know what was changed. All I know is something was changed because of the new film. Same for Fire and Stone 2, if I recall rightly.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 09, 2015, 02:25:42 PM
Same for Fire and Stone 2, if I recall rightly.

Are we sure we're getting Fire and Stone 2, because from what I remember of Randy's tweet, he said that another RESTART was called in order.

Perfect-Organism

In the end, we will probably have some sort of volume published which traces the various different alternate EU threads that have been explored over time through various media.  Someone needs to make sense of all this for the uninitiated.  That would be a valuable guide to the Alien Universe...

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 09, 2015, 05:05:18 PM
In the end, we will probably have some sort of volume published which traces the various different alternate EU threads that have been explored over time through various media.

As cool as that sounds, I doubt it would happen.

Of course, never say never. But it seems unlikely.

Murfy426

This along with the colonial marine handbook would be a great addition to any aliens fans library for reference. does anybody know how much the standard edition will cost.

Perfect-Organism

I'm down with standard version as well.  The Alien on the front is bordering on cheesy.  Just give me a nice glossy dust-jacket thank you.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Murfy426 on Jun 11, 2015, 04:29:06 PM
This along with the colonial marine handbook would be a great addition to any aliens fans library for reference. does anybody know how much the standard edition will cost.

Not a clue. It was originally intended to be a $50 hard cover book.

HuDaFuK

The only reason that springs to mind as to why they're holding off on announcing a standard edition is that they're trying to peddle these pricey ones first, because if they announced a budget $50 version I'm guessing a lot of people would just go for that instead.

Corporal Hicks

I imagine that's the case. I believe it actually cost them a bit to put together so they need to recoup the costs, I guess.

HeavenHeart

I contacted Insight Editions through Facebook, to ask about the standard edition.

This is their reply:

"Hello (...),

We now have The Weyland Yutani Report available through our website here:

http://www.insighteditions.com/Alien-The-Weyland-Yutani-Report/dp/B00YT18PPI

At this time, there is no plan for a standard edition, though.

Thanks!
Insight team"

So there you have it, for what it's worth.

predxeno

Quarax

Quarax

:(

I guess I'm getting the French edition then. Good thing I went to a French-only elementary school.

I wonder why they called it a Collector's Edition then? That promo card they gave out at NYCC 2013 did give a price of $50.00, but the ISBN is the same as the CE.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HeavenHeart on Jun 13, 2015, 10:50:00 PM
So there you have it, for what it's worth.

They're just peddling the fancy edition, trying to push the sales. A lot of money went into it. Everyone I can think of that I've spoken to on the down has said one will be following.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed