Fan Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 23, 2020, 05:47:47 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 4,822 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Just getting this up early and will unlock tomorrow morning. Please share your reviews of the game here.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

If you ever told me I could get angry at hearing the Predator theme, I would have never believed you until I played this game.
This thing stuck on a loop is so anti climatic! There are great soundtrack and great use of great soundtracks.
Apparently they thought putting the Predator Font and the theme would be enough to feel predatorish.

I did not have fun and to be frank I had the feeling of A:CM all over again.
I think both are the same game honestly, they are so comparable like you could have me play A:CM on a custom Predator Hunting Grounds map or Predator Hunting Grounds Marine game in an A:CM maps and I wouldn't know what game it is really!
Clunky mechanic, bad bullet feedback, terrible animations, no understanding of what's the universe they get in aside the nice skins.
There are even laughable moments like the AI death sounds. It's almost as if they did a recording with the cheapest Zoom of someone saying "ahhhh"  ::)

Graphics are outdated by more than 10 years. At first the cinematic of the beginning was "wow that's nice" and then came the game and it was ugly. I can understand you need optimization for the multiplayer code but even different assets felt the same. It's the same type of shading everywhere, the same color pattern, the same rocks, the same lighting no matter the maps the same river the same ruins. A:I had a similar impact which is Ironic because in a way A:I as much more re-used assets but each location feel "singular". When I was in the Sheriff Office it felt so, when I was the med lab it felt so, when I was in the core it felt so. There's no mood that really comes out, I guess the only place I had a good feeling was the village next to the large lake which felt kind of different and had more interesting setup for both teams.
To some degrees it feels exactly on par with AVP2010 and A:CM graphically. And it's really not a compliment, I just think AVP2010 looked more coherent and had (by a tiny margin) more variety in the designs.

Another thing A:CM was super well known for was its bug.
They are back in PHG again. How many time did I have a diamond stick on front of my vision, or the possibility to pickup infinite diamond or a diamond that would just not be picked. So many possibilities of bug for the tiniest of the details, I let you imagine how are the big ones.
The Predator jumps are unpredictable, sometimes they just won't work in some areas but if you move by a tiny pixel it suddenly does. The reason? I don't know but it sure had me surprised when I did a quick attack was doing a retreat and... nope... a bit on the left... still not. On the right oh yeah! Jump!
There's this super funny one:
-Have your team get to da choppa and evacuate.
-Kill the Predator
-Be Alone for a full minute shooting AI while the chopper leave, it won't trigger the end, only keeping the Predator body safe will.
What's cringy is your team who escaped can't do a thing, they are in the chopper.

This game made me realize how much I hate games which don't know what they are (FPS or RPG?)
This XP and unlocking stuff is nonsense.
And as every game it is plagued by unbalance:
-Don't have the combistick? I'm afraid you'll have to spam the plasmacaster and hope for the best as a Predator. Don't go to the ground or you're likely dead.
-Have the combistick? Easily go 3v1. So if you manage just to have one distracted it's super easy but don't go to the tree, it's useless and they can spot you.
Once you have access to the combistick the game becomes very unbalance. I can't count how many games I ended in less than a minutes (or how many Predator I saw end the game going Berzerker + combi in 4v1 and killing us all).
The only counter is nade. Nade everything! There's not much left of Predator in the end. These were the worse game and became the most common as everyone XP grew.

I don't feel the game deliver.
It has me scratch my head so much as to why I can't be in this map with 12 Marines and 2-3 Predator just doing Team deathmatch or Survivor or any mods previous games were known for.
The fact you have to come back to the lobby, that if only one player leave the game is screwed by imbalance and that the accomplishments are so outside your capacities have me mad.
I don't like seeing that guy or these two guys going in a direction and a guy alone go into the objectives. It's so contradictory but it shows something: Open World leaves you do whatever you want. So why would everyone play the objective? The outcome then become known and it start to be very annoying to go back to the lobby for another 2 minutes before another game can pickup.

I did not feel Predator vibe even once. It would have been a Raptor with lazer in the trees It wouldn't make a difference.

---

The biggest failure is I have no sensation of what I'm supposed to do.
There's no mechanic that explains the player motivation.
It would have been so much better framed to have the game at nightime and have the 4 player survive until morning when the Chopper arrives and there's only you, the pigs and the Predator.
The AI distract so much of the attention and the UI is so heavily charged for me to make sense of the world I'm in.
I feel like the Predator is just a skin for a COD game mod called "Giant Zombie Raptor Ant with Lazor".
There's barely verticality for the Predator to play with despite the trees because these acts as a 2 dimensional zone.
It's only interesting to play on the ground using the rooftops, cliffs but there's not much to play with.

---

Things I've said in the past and I maintain because I think they are bad mechanics:
-Third Person for Predator (Yeah look how cool my Predator look! Doesn't feel immersive, period.)
-Assisted Jump for Predator, it's probably a "bit" better because it reacts faster than AVP2010 but not by much. I still think it's bad.
-Matchmaking

And things to add to the non-wishlist:
-Open World with AI & Scripted moments
-Billions of skins (Makes me wonder how much time was spent on actually developing the game and not the cosmetics)

Rating:

A:CM/10

SteveC484

SteveC484

Honestly, the game isn't "good" and after the beta I didn't expect it to be. It is fun though if both sides no what they are doing.

shadowedge

shadowedge

So far I really like the game. Right now matchmaking takes a while but that is to be expected in the first week of any new online game. I'll give a more detailed review as I play the game more.

As for the graphics I think they are just fine.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

This game CAN be good, but it has currently the worst matchmaking I've ever witnessed in a game.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

NOTE: this is not an impassioned rant, nor am I interested in this spawning another hate-filled thread. I'm sure there will be more than ample avenues for that inevitable response, but this is a place for more measured responses to the current state of the game (launch).

This morning, less than 24 hours after the title launched, I finally resolved to do something that I had begun pondering the night before, after around 80 minutes of in-game time: I requested a refund from the Epic Store.

Before anyone goes leaping to any conclusions, I don't think this game is "broken" in any respect, either technical or gameplay-wise. It has a lot of rough edges and kinks to be ironed out, but if you expect anything less than that in the current games market I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I have no doubts regarding Illfonic's commitment to the game and reverence of the IP overall, I trust they will see to it that the game is refined into much better shape over the coming months and (hopefully) years. There is certainly compelling content here, and a lot of scope for expanding that vision to deliver a fun experience for the fans.

So why did I request a refund?

The short answer is, it was a confluence of factors, primarily arising from the inherent weaknesses of a multiplayer-only game of this nature and the extent to which they overlap with serious shortcomings in the (less-than-)Epic Game Store. At this point I should admit that, while I welcome greater competition and transparency in the digital games marketplace, I have serious misgivings about the way in which the EGS has positioned itself in the market and the tactics they have used. While they claim to be championing developers, to the benefit of consumers, their practice of aggressively pursuing exclusives is an unwelcome throwback in an industry that is moving away from this model. But I digress.

The tipping point came for me when I was attempting to customise the game controls. As many with larger hands might sympathise, I sometimes find the standard WASD control scheme too cramped, particularly for games that require great dexterity and reaction time. Effectively controlling the predator certainly ticks both of those boxes, so I resolved to rebind the controls. No problem... until I finished all the special key-binds and suddenly realised that basic movement controls weren't listed. So you can rebind every control, except for the actually WASD keys themselves.

"I must be missing something", I thought to myself, so I decided to look for some support. I go to the Epic Games library, but there isn't anything beyond some basic game options. I go to the store page and there isn't anything there either, not even a link to official forums. After a google search I finally come across the official Illfonic forums and discover other people having the same problem, with no fix at present. I recalled the key mapping options having been relocated in the first, pre-release patch notes, so I'm sure it's just an error that someone overlooked during the mad rush to the release date.

As a long-time PC player I'm quite familiar and accepting of having to MacGuyver games into a playable state, so I head to the system folders to look for a config file that might allow me to change the binds manually. That's when I stumble across a Steamworks folder, containing store-related files belonging to Valve Corporation. "You know what?", I think to myself, "These kinds of issues are much easier to address through Steam..." I'm normally very good at tracking down the precise status of Epic exclusivity, and have held-off buying any other titles thus far (The Sinking City, Control, etc) because I was always able to establish that these were timed only. In this case I never found even a hint of a suggestion that the game would be on any storefronts other than the EGS.

Now, I understand the factors motivating Illfonic and other developers in these situations, and don't blame them at all for accepting such generous terms. They can mean the difference between studios riding out a less-than-stellar release or having to shut down. If this were a single-player game I'm not even sure I'd care this much, but with multiplayer-only titles the rapid flow of information between players and developer is the single most vital element in allowing the game to be efficiently refined during the critical post-launch window. When these kinds of things aren't addressed quickly, the player base simply moves on to the next title and you have a dead game on your hands.

As it stands, the EGS just doesn't have the necessary features to allow this game to flourish, now or in the long term (which will depend on simple ways of creating dedicated player groups etc). So, for now, I'm viewing it as a paid beta. When it comes to Steam, no doubt in a better state and more content, I'll happily put down the same or greater amount on it. Until then, I'll be watching from the tree line...

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Couldn't agree less, I just discovered the Epic Game Store with this game, I wish I didn't.
I thought the "rumors" were what they were: rumors but for now the state of the launcher is very primitive.
Makes me regret Steam a lot for playing with friends. I don't understand why there's no Single Player too giving the environment of the Epic Game Store.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 25, 2020, 08:54:44 AM
Couldn't agree less, I just discovered the Epic Game Store with this game, I wish I didn't.
I thought the "rumors" were what they were: rumors but for now the state of the launcher is very primitive.
Makes me regret Steam a lot for playing with friends. I don't understand why there's no Single Player too giving the environment of the Epic Game Store.

You seem to actually be agreeing with me here.

For a single-player game I can overlook its shortcomings, but for a game like this it seems woefully inadequate.

Drukathi

Drukathi

Quote from: The Necronoir on Apr 25, 2020, 07:22:01 AM
That's when I stumble across a Steamworks folder, containing store-related files belonging to Valve Corporation.

Wait! What? :o

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: Drukathi on Apr 25, 2020, 11:01:02 AM
That's when I stumble across a Steamworks folder, containing store-related files belonging to Valve Corporation.

Drukathi

Drukathi

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 25, 2020, 11:04:36 AM

Oh... I don't even know what I have to think or say. Release on Steam later? Is the Predator HG temporary or permanent exclusive to EGS?

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Most likely it was in the Pipeline and forgot to be removed before release.
They must have a proper workflow setup at the development of the game and have just copied it brainlessly.
Someone just forgot to cleanup the file before release I bet.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: Drukathi on Apr 25, 2020, 11:11:09 AM

Oh... I don't even know what I have to think or say. Release on Steam later? Is the Predator HG temporary or permanent exclusive to EGS?

Everything I'd been lead to believe suggested that it would be a permanent EGS exclusive, until I saw this. The fact that Sony was also publishing seemed to add evidence to this. I'm placing my bets on it being a timed exclusive in the long run now though. Got my refund so I'll see which way it goes.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Drukathi on Apr 25, 2020, 11:11:09 AM

If it's temporary then I hope I can get if for free once it comes out on Steam

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

The game is competent.
It's a fairly straight forward experience with its customization and frantic pace being its big selling point. We after-all tend to play the multiplayer of a title much longer than we do the single-player offerings and matches can go by quick enough that I'm not bored with it.
Predator:Hunting Grounds is junk food entertainment. This is not a Tripple A product and despite it's price tag at about 40 dollars, that's fine. It could be dropped to 30 but that's not the point. It's a smaller title that's to the point about what you do. Complete objectives as the fireteam and f**k shit up as the Predator.

However within the current discourse inevitably complaints arise. Matchmaking is something of a crap-shoot experience currently. One can get a game going though, the issue is that the game doesn't do it particularly fast and the logical answer to this is of course the Predator itself. Everyone wants to play as the monster since it's the most unique part of the game and a huge sell not helped that bandwidth will struggle given the current pandemic as everyone is working from home. Some technical issues on Ilfonic's end are being hampered by the inevitable swath of players wanting to play as the Predator on top of the already strained internet connections. I managed to get several games in and can safely say that it plays very well. It's really good and frankly Ilfonic should be proud of itself that it makes the Predator fun. That being said its a little too fun as many a player is reporting not being able to play it if at all.

The fireteam is straightforward. If you've played literally any modern shooter you'll know how to play the soldier quick. It's not saying much but it really shines once the Predator shows up. The Predator is what makes this experience but a bad Predator makes this a problem as you can go a few minutes without seeing it and sometimes even a whole match without encountering it once. Bad players will just be bad players but this is a problem.
That being said the game doesn't have an exact win condition. The Predator can f**k about and while the fireteam will have a cake walk you're not penalized for missing them intentionally or not. The Predator can also self-destruct so while they may bring you down, you can take the fireteam with you which is good. Even only getting one kill and missing the trophy kills will still be considered a win. Predator by far is probably the most lenient gaming experience I've had in awhile and in a way it's kind of relaxing. I don't have to worry about points or kills and just focus on an objective of my own choosing outside of the stuff the game pretty much has us doing. I like that and wish it was in more titles because the try-hard nature of games these days is a load of piss.

That being said it's low on content. Mission variety is random which is good but the lack of additional modes does tarnish the experience. Predator versus Predator, a capture the flag scenario, or even a 1v1 game mode doesn't exist here. That's unfortunate as it would bring value down but it seems much of the cost is the license. I don't feel like I wasted money but I won't be surprised if some feel as if this is Battlefront 2015 all over again.
If I had any means of describing my initial feelings, it's that this is Alien: Isolation for the Predator franchise. Or more or less it's Battlefront 2015 part 2. It's not a bad experience but it's hampered by matchmaking, lack of content, and bad players which until the game has a more veteran player-base will incite bitching. It's not like you don't get what you payed for but I understand if those who would wait for a price drop do. It's not bad, could use some work, but it's fun and has it where it counts.

Initial thoughst: B-

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed