AvPG Previews Alien Isolation

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 10, 2014, 06:31:40 PM

Author
AvPG Previews Alien Isolation (Read 47,878 times)

Engineer

Engineer

Well said...

On a tangent... tardigrades are amazing by the way. The little criters are damn near invincible! Lol.

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: SM on Feb 19, 2014, 10:46:47 AM
Mesoskeleton.

Ima so sue you

SM

SM

SPRUNG!!

Correction to previous post...

Mesoskeleton (C) Xhan 4evs

Clemens2781

Clemens2781

Hello everyone, this is my first ever blog/community post,ever, so be gentle with me,alright?The changing of the leg structure in A:Isolation?......the purist in me is very unhappy,but at the same time any story/narrative has to move forward,after 35 years ,and if that's what's required- a little up grade here and there...so be it. While the later films and the EU have their merits here and there the original still scares the s**t out of me, even now. Proper brown trousers time. And it seems gaming is trying to catch up,because it's finally got the tools.Shooting things over and over again bring back the memories,for sure, but A:I looks like it'll s*** me up in the comfort of my own home. The cross-overs, EU, are all well and good but my(respect for the creature....I admire it's purity....the memory of the organism is that it'll do you.... on sight.No questions asked. And that's where my fear still comes from. One of them will bloody have you, before you know it.(at the risk of kicking something off, Grid does kill two on his own,just saying)...That's the crux of it.Alien isn't a horror film to me, it's not sci-fi film,...it's terror, pure and simple. I look over my shoulder now when i watch it....but an immersive game hiding in the shadows.....?...an echo of my nightmares?I can't bloody wait!!!!!

mythology

mythology

i did notice the digitigrade legs were wrong for 1979 movie accuracy, but i think the developers did it on purpose to make the alien seem taller, more intimidating, make it seem bigger.

to me, it is because of the queen that maybe the first alien could of had legs like that.

the 1st and 2nd movie didn't have digitigrade legs
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/movies/alien/behind/behind59.jpg
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/movies/aliens/behind/behind10.jpg
the isolation game does.
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news-700/Alien-Isolation-Is-Already-Playable-Dev-Will-Polish-and-Balance-It-until-Launch.jpg?1390231737

but when we first meet the queen
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/movies/aliens/behind/dennislowe06.jpg
she goes from looking like shes got human legs to bending into digitigrade legs. i thought that was a neat trick if you watch it. it just seems so alien to me compared to earth life as she switches between the 2 so naturally.

so if the queen could do that, why not the 1979 alien?

RobThom

RobThom

"The Alien's footsteps boomed."

Why are the Alien's footsteps booming?
The Alien always seemed like a lithe sneaky, covert creature in the first first film.
I believe it was Camerons Queen Alien who was the heavy footed clomper.

"The Alien lets out a frightening roar "

This also seems a kind of a standard issue monster attribute.
Why would a stalking silent killer need to roar?
Except to fit into the standard issue iconography of monster as dinosaur.

(One thing that always irritates me in a videogame and that almost always signifies a general lack of creativity is a scene where a boss monster/character throws their hands down in the Wolverine pose and lets out a roar towards the screen.)

The graphics look nice.
As good as some of the best digital fan art, but interactive.
Which has got to be worth something.

Edit:
Actually I can kind of see how audible footsteps might be necessary from a gameplay perspective.
It probably wouldn't be fun to just be walking along and then get killed without any warning like the movie.
There are concessions that you have to make for gameplays sake.

SM

SM

QuoteWhy would a stalking silent killer need to roar?

Like how it did with Dallas?

Mus

Mus

I don't think it makes noise when it's just walking around, only when it's chasing you. I thought it sounds a bit silly too, but I guess maybe it makes it more intense when you can hear it thumping behind you

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

If the Alien is 9' tall with natural armor capable of deflecting bullets then it would have to have some mass.

Mus

Mus

Tigers have mass but they have soft paws too ^_^

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

RobThom, I have to agree with you big time on the roaring monster crap. Every movie. Every game. Every sort of creature/monster/robot/villain. It's like they go to monsteranimation.com and download a template.

So horrible and stale that I've actually turned off movies because of it lol, and use it to fuel my exhaustive rants about how cgi and art college anime emos are ruining everything, but I digress... the gameplay mechanics should illustrate a much better purpose for noises and footsteps, hopefully.

Seems like CA is committed to trying to make an authentic experience (trying = key word) so hopefully it will be for the most part believable.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Mus on Mar 05, 2014, 03:11:58 AM
Tigers have mass but they have soft paws too ^_^

Tigers don't have body armor capable of stopping 9mm rounds either.

Mus

Mus

Does the alien? It has those ribs and I guess a hard head, otherwise they seemed pretty prone to explode with no reservations

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It exploded when 10 mm explosive tipped light armor rounds hit it.  The standard 9mm certainly hurt the Alien, but if you look at small arms hits Gorman had on the creatures, there is no penetration. 

.45 at point blank range took several shots before it went down as well.

.45 and 10mm are much bigger rounds than 9mm.

SM

SM

They explode when hit by smart or sentry gun fire.

10mm pulse rifle rounds - not really.  They do sting a bit, though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed