Neville Page Designing for Prometheus

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 28, 2011, 02:32:38 PM

Author
Neville Page Designing for Prometheus (Read 23,944 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

By the way SO GLAD ADI ISN'T INVOLVED IN PROMETHEUS. ;)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 31, 2011, 11:49:56 AM
Therefore, how exactly is Mr. Page going to "pull a Cloverfield"?!  ::)
By pulling another rather generic design. :P Though he works really better with something that's not organic, as seen in TRON, so I'm confident.

cloverfan98

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 31, 2011, 05:08:18 PM
Quote from: St_Eddie on May 31, 2011, 11:49:56 AM
Therefore, how exactly is Mr. Page going to "pull a Cloverfield"?!  ::)
By pulling another rather generic design. :P Though he works really better with something that's not organic, as seen in TRON, so I'm confident.

I am offened. Clover is offended. YOUR WORLD WILL BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrSpaceJockey

Our world is your world mate.

Its hard to tell if someone is a good designer for an alien, because there really is nothing like it. If they haven't worked on a xenomorph before, we wont know if it would be biomech.  I have faith this guy will follow Gigers designs, but I wonder about the costumes.

Sharp Sticks

He did some slick stuff for Avatar - and I do mean slick, all the creatures looked like they had car chassis for skin. Very synthetic. I'm sure he'll do good work. As long as Giger's on board I'm happy.

cloverfan98

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on May 31, 2011, 07:58:54 PM

Its hard to tell if someone is a good designer for an alien, because there really is nothing like it. If they haven't worked on a xenomorph before, we wont know if it would be biomech.  I have faith this guy will follow Gigers designs, but I wonder about the costumes.

I still hold that Clover is a fantastic design but I agree. The Alien IS HR Giger's ultimate creation, and as much as I like Page I'm not sure his style blends with Giger's. He's amazing at taking real animal traits and looks and making something new with them, but Giger's style is completly alien. There's nothing on this earth that is simllar to it.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on May 31, 2011, 08:03:08 PM
He did some slick stuff for Avatar - and I do mean slick, all the creatures looked like they had car chassis for skin. Very synthetic. I'm sure he'll do good work. As long as Giger's on board I'm happy.
Part of the -IMHO- greatness in the Avatar designs comes from Wayne Barlowe if you ask me - the design of the Ikran in particular was his, the most part that is, other artists including Page later tweaked it a bit; though I'll agree Neville did a jump for Avatar. Also liked his Lobster Monster in Star Trek; he's generally good, but what he does better is costumes and machines.

Quote from: cloverfan98 on May 31, 2011, 07:55:32 PM
I am offened. Clover is offended. YOUR WORLD WILL BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To tell you the truth some of the concepts were pretty damn sweet; the final result was cool indeed, though it was generic for the most part.

draken161

Quote from: cloverfan98 on May 31, 2011, 08:03:41 PM
Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on May 31, 2011, 07:58:54 PM

I still hold that Clover is a fantastic design but I agree. The Alien IS HR Giger's ultimate creation, and as much as I like Page I'm not sure his style blends with Giger's. He's amazing at taking real animal traits and looks and making something new with them, but Giger's style is completly alien. There's nothing on this earth that is simllar to it.

This.

ThisBethesdaSea

I just can't see a difference between Page and any of the other hundreds of designers on films like Star Wars to the likes of Avatar. The designs aren't bad...they just look like they all went to the same art school and learned the same way. I'm bored by it all. Giger is the only intriguing creature designer I've seen in a while. I do have high hopes however that Giger will come up with something terrifying for PROMETHEUS and the magic will be conjured again.

TEASER POSTER / IMAGE NOW!! hehe

draken161

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 02, 2011, 04:25:32 PM
I just can't see a difference between Page and any of the other hundreds of designers on films like Star Wars to the likes of Avatar. The designs aren't bad...they just look like they all went to the same art school and learned the same way. I'm bored by it all. Giger is the only intriguing creature designer I've seen in a while. I do have high hopes however that Giger will come up with something terrifying for PROMETHEUS and the magic will be conjured again.

TEASER POSTER / IMAGE NOW!! hehe

Giger's visual style is indeed something original. It's what made the series so amazingly creepy. (Well at least the projects he was involved in) It would be clear that Ridley would want to keep what worked for the original, Don't fix what aint' broke. However if Neville Page was hired also, there must be significant reason for him to be even considered.

wmmvrrvrrmm

If I never saw the creature's head, Cloverfield might have been a better film for me. I don't know if it was like that because it was strictly what the film director wanted or if it was the limit of what creature designer was able to create

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Jun 03, 2011, 07:14:11 PM
I don't know if it was like that because it was strictly what the film director wanted or if it was the limit of what creature designer was able to create
The former; If you go to the site I linked in my above post you'll see a lot of other ideas for the creature, based on the same conditions of having long arms and/or legs. Abrams/Reeves evidently liked this one and decided to further modfiy the design on that base, as demonstrated by the concepts next to it. Some ideas were really nice. I liked those:

Gazz

Gazz

That middle picture reminds me of Kothga from The Relic.

I'm happy that Neville Page is on board as I've grown to appreciate his work but I'm hoping his designs are a little more (I'm not sure if this is the word I'm looking for) 'gritty' than he's used to.

Michael Harper

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jun 06, 2011, 12:59:00 PM
Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Jun 03, 2011, 07:14:11 PM
I don't know if it was like that because it was strictly what the film director wanted or if it was the limit of what creature designer was able to create
The former; If you go to the site I linked in my above post you'll see a lot of other ideas for the creature, based on the same conditions of having long arms and/or legs. Abrams/Reeves evidently liked this one and decided to further modfiy the design on that base, as demonstrated by the concepts next to it. Some ideas were really nice. I liked those:

I like the way the top picture has a bit of stubble on it's neck :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed