Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

Author
Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5 (Read 86,442 times)

Ingwar

Guys, please don't compare Chappie (one of the most poorly executed blockbuster I've ever seen) to Alien 3. You hurt my feelings :).

Beatnation

Beatnation

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 12, 2018, 09:36:53 PM

Because it's a bit hypocritical saying "Elysium is terrible at best" while saying Alien3 is a "masterpiece". In your opinion they might be but the majority of professional critics and regular viewers think otherwise.
¨

The majority of critics at the time say that, indeed. I don't think critics nowadays will critize the movie so heavily. But to each his own.

So does the Alien 3 assembly cut totally redeem the film then?
¨

Almost. Anyhow I would love to see the original cut of the movie.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 12, 2018, 09:36:53 PMBiomechanoid already explained earlier in this thread how IMDb deals with skewed user review scores.

He thinks he know how it works, yeah, but he is wrong and when BP premieres I will demostrate that EASILY.

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 12, 2018, 10:01:38 PM
Guys, please don't compare Chappie (one of the most poorly executed blockbuster I've ever seen) to Alien 3. You hurt my feelings :).

SiL

How are you going to demonstrate the flaw IMDB's rating system when Black Panther comes out, exactly?

kwisatz

Lol this better be good.

Huggs

So, Neill has his idea. We start after Aliens and move forward from there. This timeline shift and the direction of the Covenant 2 are often spoke of. But what if Alien 3 and ripleys death were left alone? What other directions could they have gone after Alien 3 besides resurrection? Or should the franchise have ended with the death of ripley?

As for me, I think if they would've written Alien 4 as something totally different than resurrection, and given it to somebody like Carpenter, we'd have gotten something truly special. Maybe something along the lines of (not necessarily river of pain) normal people at a random outpost. Sort of a blend of Alien 79 and The Thing. It would've demonstrated that these creatures were not confined to lv-426, and allowed the series to continue with new characters and locations.

SM

QuoteAlien 3 -AC- it will be recieved VASTLY better today than it was in 1992.

Why?

All the problems in the TC in 1992 are still there.

Local Trouble

QuoteAlien 3 -AC- it will be recieved VASTLY better today than it was in 1992.

So does the Alien 3 assembly cut totally redeem the film then?

;D

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Beatnation on Jan 12, 2018, 10:30:33 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 12, 2018, 09:36:53 PMBiomechanoid already explained earlier in this thread how IMDb deals with skewed user review scores.

He thinks he know how it works, yeah, but he is wrong

Heh, heh. No, I don't THINK how it works. I READ how it works. They give details on their site, breaking down how their weight average system works. I'm not saying you're ignorant, but you're making ignorant comments right now because you're foolishly choosing to believe your uniformed assumptions trump stated facts that you don't bother to educated yourself on.

Educate yourself before mouthing off, it saves you from that whole foot in mouth thingy.

Quote from: Beatnation on Jan 12, 2018, 10:30:33 PM
and when BP premieres I will demostrate that EASILY.

I'll be here when you offer up your demonstration . . . . ;)

ralfy

That's too bad, but they need to come up with a very good story (to complete the franchise?) and not involving characters from previous films.

SM

They're not going to 'complete' the franchise any time soon.

Scorpio

Either they make a sequel to Alien Resurrection, do another spin-off or reboot.  But if they retcon it they'll ruin it.  Yes, I say retcon because if you make Aliens 2, you ruin any chance of continuing after Alien Resurrection.  It's putting the series on a totally different path to the one before.

I would like to see a spin-off, they already brought Ripley back from the dead, time to let her character rest unless they commit to doing a sequel to A:R.

Jarac

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 13, 2018, 02:28:45 AM
So, Neill has his idea. We start after Aliens and move forward from there. This timeline shift and the direction of the Covenant 2 are often spoke of. But what if Alien 3 and ripleys death were left alone? What other directions could they have gone after Alien 3 besides resurrection? Or should the franchise have ended with the death of ripley?

As for me, I think if they would've written Alien 4 as something totally different than resurrection, and given it to somebody like Carpenter, we'd have gotten something truly special. Maybe something along the lines of (not necessarily river of pain) normal people at a random outpost. Sort of a blend of Alien 79 and The Thing. It would've demonstrated that these creatures were not confined to lv-426, and allowed the series to continue with new characters and locations.

That's the direction they should have gone, sort of like many of the comics. Move on from Ripley and gang, and tell a bunch of stories. Some could be in the vein of Alien/Alien 3 and some like Aliens. I just hope that Disney is not stupid enough to reboot the franchise, though.

OpenMaw

There's no point to doing a sequel to Alien Resurrection, anyway. There's only the crisis of Ripley 8's duality to work with, really. The USM are throwaway, and there's no meat on the bones of any of the other Resurrection survivors, really, except for Call and the Auton units... None of that would really, in my opinion, make for a compelling sequel. Especially going on 21 years later.

Personally, i'd love the series to go the route of Alien Isolation. Something like that, anyway. Pull back from the mythos aspects being explored in the prequels and go back to the mystery and bizarre horror of this universe.

Hell, something along the lines of Alien Isolation, broken into six hour long parts for Netflix. Do an Alien miniseries.

You could do a The Thing-Esque miniseries. Call it, say, "ACHERON"

Story would show the life, struggle, and ultimate downfall of the people of Hadley's Hope to the aliens. Even ending it on a bleak Carpenter-esque note. Newt left alone somewhere in the base, the only other human character is left cradling a gun with one bullet, a fire dying down under sprinkler systems, an old style motion tracker bleeping as the Aliens close in. HARD CUT to DARKNESS.

Russ

I'm becoming an open-maw fanboy  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed