Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

Author
Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5 (Read 86,436 times)

Corporal Hicks

JungleHunter87

That's a shame, still, it'd be nice to see another director take a crack at a true A L I E N film. Although depending on what Disney does, a Reboot soft or hard (no pun intended) might be inevitable.

SM

There's always five other films with Aliens in for what another director would do.

Scorpio

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yes. I have moved on. What I meant was that I wish there was a way for fans to see some of what we had designed. It was an amazing chance to work in the world Ridley and James Cameron created. And collaborate with Sigourney. <a href="https://t.co/zgztIBj7LQ">https://t.co/zgztIBj7LQ</a></p>&mdash; Neill Blomkamp (@NeillBlomkamp) <a href="https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/948310726191411200?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 2, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The director himself saying it's dead and he's moved on.

It's not happening people.

JungleHunter87

Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2018, 11:18:15 PM
There's always five other films with Aliens in for what another director would do.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean? Are you saying because we have A L I E N, ALIENS, ALIENĀ³, ALIEN: RESURRECTION and A L I E N: COVENANT with Xenomorphs in them that should be enough? Or are you saying that those other five movies have the creature in them time to move away from what the series is all about?

Irregardless, I would still like to see an ALIEN 5 not another Scott DAVID 8 a.i. film. If Scott gets too do another film I'll still zombie walk into the theater and see it. But, the series could do with a fresh take on the universe and creature from a new director.

SM

You said it'd be nice to see another director take a crack at an Alien film.  I'm just saying those already exist.

JungleHunter87

Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2018, 11:48:59 PM
You said it'd be nice to see another director take a crack at an Alien film.  I'm just saying those already exist.

Yeah, and the last time we saw a new directior for the Alien films was 20 years ago... Am I or other people asking too much for a new take on the series that has grown stagnant on celluloid? With a director that's new and cares about where the series can be taken in 2019?

SM

How is it stagnant?  They've gone off in different directions with Engineers and androids and black goo.

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they're not simply repeating the same thing over and over.

JungleHunter87

Quote from: SM on Jan 03, 2018, 12:00:10 AM
How is it stagnant?  They've gone off in different directions with Engineers and androids and black goo.

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they're not simply repeating the same thing over and over.

Same film beats, three different times, from Ridley. Each with diminished story returns. Also, Engineers? Killed, Black Goo? Gone. The only constant is Michael Fassbender as an Android. Real fresh, gotta love that schizophrenic kind of story telling. Not too mention his love/hate relationship with the Xenomorph.

Richman678

Blomkamp confirmed it's still dead.....unless he builds up the hype and shows Disney it needs to be green lit again.

That is what Blomkamp is doing now. Getting you guys hyped up again.

Like i said earlier though now that Covenant was released and the majority of the public didn't care for it....Blomkamp actually has a chance here.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Jan 03, 2018, 12:10:41 AM

Same film beats, three different times, from Ridley.

You can probably lay that at Cameron's door, expectations for what makes an Alien film apparently comes from rehashing ALIEN, and Aliens does it beat for beat, but Scott does it whilst opening up a broader scope.

Quote from: Richman678 on Jan 03, 2018, 01:47:11 AM

..now that Covenant was released and the majority of the public didn't care for it....

Box office receipts are heading downwards generally - Alien isn't Wonder Woman or Star Wars, so it's a broad statement to say the majority of the public didn't care for it. Certain territories cared for it more than others.

SM

SM

Same film beats, three different times, from Ridley. Each with diminished story returns. Also, Engineers? Killed, Black Goo? Gone. The only constant is Michael Fassbender as an Android. Real fresh, gotta love that schizophrenic kind of story telling. Not too mention his love/hate relationship with the Xenomorph.

They might have the odd same beat here and there - it's an Alien film so each film is going to offer up certain expected aspects - but again they're not telling the same story over and over.  It doesn't matter that the Engineers and goo are gone - the point is they were introduced as something new.

What is stagnant though is this fanbase since the release of Covenant.  Every discussion devolves into 'Covenant sucks/ no it doesn't'.  Or 'Ridley is an old fool who doesn't know what he's doing/ more Ridley prequels plz'. Or 'Blomkamps movie would rule/ Blomkamps is a desperate hack who wants to make colonial marine movies for idiots'.  It's all a bit disappointing.

JungleHunter87

Quote from: Gash on Jan 03, 2018, 01:55:19 AM

You can probably lay that at Cameron's door, expectations for what makes an Alien film apparently comes from rehashing ALIEN, and Aliens does it beat for beat, but Scott does it whilst opening up a broader scope.

..now that Covenant was released and the majority of the public didn't care for it....

Box office receipts are heading downwards generally - Alien isn't Wonder Woman or Star Wars, so it's a broad statement to say the majority of the public didn't care for it. Certain territories cared for it more than others.

It's somehow Cameron's fault Scott keeps retreading beats from his own film? Okay, then.

As for a broader scope? Yes, Space Colonization, Colonial Marine Corps. and introducing the Queen Alien are totally NOT broadening the scope.

QuoteThey might have the odd same beat here and there - it's an Alien film so each film is going to offer up certain expected aspects - but again they're not telling the same story over and over.  It doesn't matter that the Engineers and goo are gone - the point is they were introduced as something new.

It's the same beats and different versions of the same story. Also, it most definitely matters if the engineers and goo are gone. What's the point of introducing new concepts? Only to do away with them as if they never mattered in your sequel? That's bad storytelling anyway you spin it.

QuoteWhat is stagnant though is this fanbase since the release of Covenant.  Every discussion devolves into 'Covenant sucks/ no it doesn't'.  Or 'Ridley is an old fool who doesn't know what he's doing/ more Ridley prequels plz'. Or 'Blomkamps movie would rule/ Blomkamps is a desperate hack who wants to make colonial marine movies for idiots'.  It's all a bit disappointing.

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen you do anything to change the narrative. In fact, you do your part in stirring the pot. This is where the fan base has been since 1992. I don't think Covenant changed much in the way we all disagree. It just changed the subject.

Scorpio

The fanbase since 1992 has unfortunately just wanted bad fan fiction instead of originality. 

Gash

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Jan 03, 2018, 02:27:47 AM
Quote from: Gash on Jan 03, 2018, 01:55:19 AM

It's somehow Cameron's fault Scott keeps retreading beats from his own film? Okay, then.

Cameron made the most successful sequel to ALIEN by revisting it, pretty much plot point for plot point, redressed as a war film. It's reasonable to say that expectations on what an Alien film succeeds at is repackaging a similar structure and plot. That's the Aliens legacy.

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Jan 03, 2018, 02:27:47 AMAs for a broader scope? Yes, Space Colonization, Colonial Marine Corps. and introducing the Queen Alien are totally NOT broadening the scope.

Space colonisation wasn't established in Aliens, refinery ships chugging back and forth across the universe infer that from the off. Colonial marine corps? big deal - mid 80s post Vietnam sensibilities, Queen alien - just up the big bad element. It broadens the story very little if at all.

Quote from: SM on Jan 03, 2018, 12:00:10 AMThey might have the odd same beat here and there - it's an Alien film so each film is going to offer up certain expected aspects - but again they're not telling the same story over and over.  It doesn't matter that the Engineers and goo are gone - the point is they were introduced as something new.

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Jan 03, 2018, 02:27:47 AM
It's the same beats and different versions of the same story. Also, it most definitely matters if the engineers and goo are gone. What's the point of introducing new concepts? Only to do away with them as if they never mattered in your sequel? That's bad storytelling anyway you spin it.

Who says the Engineers are gone? The black goo certainly hasn't. It was an important element in Covenant with more than one scene devoted to what it was all about - one, the deployment, the other David's explanation of the work he did utilising the pathogen. It's only bad storytelling to someone who's not paying attention to the story that's being told.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed