Alien 3 Podcast Featuring Vincent Ward & Lance Henriksen

Started by Darkness, Jul 22, 2015, 07:31:57 PM

Author
Alien 3 Podcast Featuring Vincent Ward & Lance Henriksen (Read 33,111 times)

Xenomorphine

That's exactly what it's wearing.

CrespiChickenStrips

They get the details of the eggs/facehuggers on the Sulaco all mixed up, as well as other details from the movie most fans should have been able to understand.  Plus, my weirdest and biggest pet peeve of the Alien series is people calling the rod puppet in Alien 3 "CGI."  Literally one shot in the film is CGI and that's the dome cracking scene at the end.  The coolest part of this whole thing was the Dark Horse Comics segment towards the end.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: CrespiChickenStrips on Jul 24, 2015, 12:26:48 AM
They get the details of the eggs/facehuggers on the Sulaco all mixed up, as well as other details from the movie most fans should have been able to understand.  Plus, my weirdest and biggest pet peeve of the Alien series is people calling the rod puppet in Alien 3 "CGI."  Literally one shot in the film is CGI and that's the dome cracking scene at the end.  The coolest part of this whole thing was the Dark Horse Comics segment towards the end.
I'm pretty sure there was more than one cgi shot in the movie

Never mind. You're right. I just looked it up. Only 1 cgi scene. :-)

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Engineer on Jul 24, 2015, 12:41:09 AM
I'm pretty sure there was more than one cgi shot in the movie

Never mind. You're right. I just looked it up. Only 1 cgi scene. :-)
That was why i was unhappy with the podcast

Corporal Hicks

Yeah - that always gets on my nerves too. xD I got as far as the Ward interview yesterday which was interesting enough. Can't say I've ever been a fan of the wooden planet concept but it was interesting to hear him talk about.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Engineer on Jul 24, 2015, 12:41:09 AMI'm pretty sure there was more than one cgi shot in the movie

Other than the quick shot of the Alien's head cracking, the only thing I know of in the film that was done with CGI was the airborne debris in the exterior shots. I heard once that the rod puppet's shadows might have been added digitally too, but I'm not so sure on that.

Xenomorphine

It was an interesting concept, visually, but never made much sense. If they wanted to make life hard for themselves, they could just retreat to somewhere desolate on Earth. Living in harmony with nature doesn't sound very logical when you have to cut down an entire planet's worth of trees to get all that wood!

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 24, 2015, 07:38:50 AM
Other than the quick shot of the Alien's head cracking, the only thing I know of in the film that was done with CGI was the airborne debris in the exterior shots. I heard once that the rod puppet's shadows might have been added digitally too, but I'm not so sure on that.

I think it was Richard Edlund who mentions the shadows being digitally added for the rod puppet in one of the special features documentaries.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Jul 24, 2015, 12:15:23 PMI think it was Richard Edlund who mentions the shadows being digitally added for the rod puppet in one of the special features documentaries.

Ah, OK, thanks. I thought it was probably from one of the making-ofs.

Engineer

To be honest, I'm really surprised by this! Some of the scenes where the alien is running along the ceiling totally look CGI! learn something new though right! :-)

I was never really bothered by alien 3's effects anyway... One way or the other...

xeno_alpha_07

When I first saw those rod puppet effects they gave me a slight Ray Harryhausen feel.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Jul 24, 2015, 07:54:49 PM
When I first saw those rod puppet effects they gave me a slight Ray Harryhausen feel.
Who is he

Xenomorphine

I've you've seen a 'creature feature', you've probably seen his work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Harryhausen

CrespiChickenStrips

I think the wooden planet idea would have been visually beautiful, but as many have stated, wouldn't really hold up under scrutiny.  Like a modern day Ridley Scott film (zing!)

Alien 3 is my favorite in the franchise, and contrary to this podcast, for totally non-hipster reasons.  I like the visuals and music the best of the series, and it's my favorite Alien costume design.  The workprint version has only enhanced it, in my eyes.  As is repeatedly said, it's amazing that such a wonderful film can come out of such a clusterf$%^ of circumstances.  Shame Fincher won't talk about it at length.  I might go revisit the "making of" documentary.

THE CITY HUNTER

I think the pod casters and this guy would have a big argument with each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHbBvuo4Yak

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed