Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by ikarop, May 04, 2012, 08:12:31 PM

Author
Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines (Read 43,113 times)

Predaker

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on May 10, 2012, 04:18:34 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 10, 2012, 04:12:38 PM
Well he's right - if the AP station is pumping stuff into the air for 20 years, enough to let people breathe unassisted, having the station go away isn't going to make all that breathable air just vanish instantly.

yes but the heat output of the AP ceasing would drop the temperature way below living conditions.
Better put on your Colonial Marines hoodie, then. It's going to be chilly!

chupacabras acheronsis

i'm saying it again, that portion of the game should be played using SEVA suits.

seriously, not only it would make sense(radiation, cold), it would also add a lot of atmosphere and would be a nice call back to Alien.

escroto

Well he's right - if the AP station is pumping stuff into the air for 20 years, enough to let people breathe unassisted, having the station go away isn't going to make all that breathable air just vanish instantly.
Wouldn't be that sure given the hostile nature of the Acheron atmosphere and weather. I'm not saying the air should  be no breathable already when this ACM regiment arrives, but I think shortly after, like two or three months max and breathing on that moon should not be that easy.

I'm more concerned about the radiation left by the lolexplosion, and we see the marines over there so happily without wearing similar suits to those WY flamethrower units often wear.

Ash 937

Ash 937

James Cameron gets the shaft every time.  First, Fox took a massive dump on his characters with the storyline for Alien3.  Then, they wouldn't let him return to the series because they wanted to release AvP instead of a film that followed Alien: Resurrection.  Now the success of everything his characters accomplished in Aliens is getting dumped on with A:CM. 

The oddest thing about all of this is that his film is a benchmark for the series and for science fiction in general yet everything that he established in Aliens has slowly been dismantled by poorly-imagined sequels over the last 25 years and (now) a poorly-imagined video game.

Predaker

I am curious to know why exactly they decided to resurrect Hadley's Hope and the AP. They could have done parts of the game on LV-426 without going back to the exact same place. I can accept the derelict survivng, but why bother trying to explain HH and the AP? Pure fan service? Did FOX make the final decision on this or what?

Samus007

Quote from: Predaker on May 10, 2012, 04:49:48 PM
I am curious to know why exactly they decided to resurrect Hadley's Hope and the AP. They could have done parts of the game on LV-426 without going back to the exact same place. I can accept the derelict survivng, but why bother trying to explain HH and the AP? Pure fan service? Did FOX make the final decision on this or what?

I think it's pure fan service, to bring us back to someplace familiar I guess. I'm not a huge fan of the idea myself, but I guess we shall see soon.

Mechafist

Even more simple than that, why not make the game in Fury 161?

Predaker

Quote from: Mechafist on May 10, 2012, 05:47:53 PM
Even more simple than that, why not make the game in Fury 161?
Yeah I think the game had potential to go to several other places instead of Hadley's Hope while still being a solid game. No idea who had the final word on that decision.

BTW, welcome to the forums mechafist!!! :)

Xenomrph

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on May 10, 2012, 04:18:34 PM

yes but the heat output of the AP ceasing would drop the temperature way below living conditions.
Why? The atmosphere processor was only pumping atmosphere, it wasn't warming the planet up. We don't even know how cold the planet was in 'Alien', merely that the native atmosphere wasn't breathable.

Quote from: Ash 937 on May 10, 2012, 04:35:12 PM
James Cameron gets the shaft every time.  First, Fox took a massive dump on his characters with the storyline for Alien3.  Then, they wouldn't let him return to the series because they wanted to release AvP instead of a film that followed Alien: Resurrection.  Now the success of everything his characters accomplished in Aliens is getting dumped on with A:CM. 

The oddest thing about all of this is that his film is a benchmark for the series and for science fiction in general yet everything that he established in Aliens has slowly been dismantled by poorly-imagined sequels over the last 25 years and (now) a poorly-imagined video game.
This is the silliest, spergiest post I've seen in this thread so far. Nothing in 'Aliens' has been undone, and the movie still exists and people can (and do) still enjoy it.
And it wasn't that FOX wouldn't let him come back, he said he would do another movie if AvP wasn't made (and even then we don't know how serious he actually was, and after 'AvP' came out he watched it and enjoyed it).

chupacabras acheronsis

Deep cold. Ash said it. LV-426 was in primordial state.

Xenomrph

Yeah, and the atmosphere processor going away isn't going to immediately plunge it into a new ice age. Maybe over a long period of time the temperature would drop, but I don't see a problem with it still being habitable within the timeframe of Colonial Marines.

escroto

and the radiation left by the explosion?, not a problem too I guess.

Seriously, you are the man

Xenomrph

Future reactors (that shouldn't explode anyway) might not give off the same radiation.

Ash 937

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 10, 2012, 06:06:22 PM
Quote from: Ash 937 on May 10, 2012, 04:35:12 PM

This is the silliest, spergiest post I've seen in this thread so far.

You need to approach the way you begin posts in way that are a bit more constructive imo.  It's fine if you express a counter point with evidence as a rebuttal to what others say but its not cool to be offensive about it.  I often like the points you make here and respect your posts because they are often so well thought out.  But when you begin your responses like this, its just not in good form.  You made me cry a little, actually.   :'(

Xenomrph

I guess I'm not sure how to respond to it because ultimately it's just so unreasonable. Like, there's no way for me to be reasonable or constructive with you about it if that's seriously the approach you're taking to the topic and that's what you really believe.

'Aliens' is still a beloved classic, and the "lore" hasn't done anything to damage or negate it. It killed off some characters, but that doesn't make 'Aliens' itself any less of a triumph. Keeping Hadley's Hope around for another round of Alien madness isn't a bad thing either, especially if Gearbox is looking to pay tribute to 'Aliens' and give players the opportunity to revisit locations from the movie and relive some of the iconic moments.

It's like the rides at Universal Studios, they pay homage to the movies and let people "live" them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed