AvPGalaxy Reviews Prometheus

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 01, 2012, 08:45:29 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Reviews Prometheus (Read 35,590 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Ooze on First on Jun 02, 2012, 02:34:47 AM
I'm probably going to like this movie al lot.
Mostly every movie that hadcore fanboys hate, I enjoy...mostly.
Guess that means the AVP films must have a proud position on your shelf.

First Blood

First Blood

Judging from your review Hicks, it sounds like this is suffering from "Lost syndrome" in which there's too many questions and not enough answers.

psychonaut25

psychonaut25

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 02, 2012, 03:01:31 AM

Believe me or not but they have...AvP 1 is my favourite, after Alien and Aliens.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So I got into job #2 yesterday (cinema job) and literally all the staff were talking about it. They were theorizing and asking me questions and they were excited about it. Ridley obviously did what he set out to do. And being round my friends, being asked those questions and them being excited about it...It's really got me pumped to see it again.

I didn't go to the midnight showing but I'm going again today and I'm excited for it again. I keep thinking of those questions, keep thinking of answers...keep wondering if there's anything I missed. It's all mystery and I'm excited about it.

How strange.

Valaquen

Valaquen

I'm curious to see it again but only to drink it in, visually, as well as the sound. I know that the same editing problems will still be there when I go back. I need a new cut of the film, an empty dark room, and some time alone to view it.

Thomas

Thomas

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 02, 2012, 03:01:31 AM

Yes he will....... and so will i....... not everyone is and mindless drone whos afraind to like what everyone else says you are supposed to hate.......

An absolute buy on DVD/BluRay for me at least........

Only very few things i didnt like about it........

Spoiler
But i REALLLLY like that they expanded the alien life cycle and showed that the engineeres of "bioweapons" are just that "Plural".......

A nice little nod to the Alien fans in the end with a proto-alien queen breaking out of the engineers chest at the very end.......

Yes a queen despite what others say....... ::)
[close]

Ohhh did i mention this was my very first 3D movie ever.......

Nice way to start.......

psychonaut25

psychonaut25

allready a Prometheus game at work ? :) :)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Max Powers on Jun 02, 2012, 02:59:49 AM
A lot of people have complained about the editing in this movie and it makes me think of the 'landing sequence' that was released a few weeks ago. The editing in that 1 minute video was complete crap. So I'm wondering, is that actually how it was in the movie? Or was there a lot more than was in that short clip?

here's the clip for reference http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=43438.0

No it's not like that in the movie. I didn't have a problem with the editing. It has its flaws, but for me those were to do with a couple of set pieces that could have cranked up the suspense a lot more. That and the fact that the trailers were too revealing after all. Oh and Guy Pearce is a great actor but Ridley should have cast the role as he did with Richard Harris or Joe Turkel for more gravitas and less of a distraction.

Of other pace/edit issues...

Spoiler
The Shaw Caesarian scene seemed to come up very much sooner than expected, and I realised that we must be approaching the final act. The build up (temple search, David's duplicity etc) is great and very engaging but when things start to go awry you do feel like the suspense and horror element is missing as the crew don't really get whittled down and more desperate as you might expect. So Shaw's birth heralds the third act and it just seems too soon. Unlike many an action film that goes on close to three hours and really drags, Prometheus has created intrigue that sustains it and it really could have easily been 30 minutes longer without outstaying its welcome, making better use of the crew being victims of the bio weapons so that the truth of what they were facing dawned on them. ie somewhere in the story it became known that the urns were bio weapons but I'm not sure who drew this conclusion.
[close]

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

People really need to learn to use spoiler warnings around here...

I've edited some of the replies in this thread, accordingly. Please remember to use them. It's the nuclear warning-looking symbol in the reply panel.

Quote from: AVP1974 on Jun 01, 2012, 03:14:02 PM
Spoiler
Why is no one referring to the fact that the proto-Alien "born" in the very end of the movie is a "queen".......
[close]

Spoiler
Because there's nothing to prove that it is. There's nothing to state it is or isn't. It doesn't even have a tail and the head is completely different to any Alien we've seen, so far.
[close]

As for the review, now that I've seen the film, I'd disagree with at least one point of it: It very much is an 'Alien' movie. Certainly far more so, in terms of atmosphere and style, than 'Alien Resurrection' was.

Pete Script

Pete Script

I know I haven't posted much on this excellent forum but I have been enjoying it for a long while now. I think this site is perfect in terms of debate on something we are all clearly very passionate about and for that I would like to thank each and every one of you for keeping me so entertained.  :)

I got to see Prometheus at a midnight showing, after thinking about it for a couple of days I have decided as flawed as it was in places that...

I loved it

Nothing in this world is perfect and we all had expectations of what this film should be, but at the end of the day this film entertained the s**t out of me.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jun 01, 2012, 03:29:08 PM
So i guess the list now goes like this in terms of quality? 

1 - Aliens
2 - Alien
3 - Prometheus
4 - Ali3n
5 - Alien Resurrection 

;)  :D

Huh?!? You would put aliens over alien I terms of quality? And depending on your idea of quality Prometheus could well be top, of the series it's the most visually stunning

n00b133

n00b133

@Pete Script i couldnt have said it better myself!

chupacabras acheronsis

why would reviews matter when i watched the movie already?

jonnystash

jonnystash

I enjoyed it, won tickets to the midnight screening locally :D, Awesome 3D, beutifully shot, Nice nods to the series with little scene variations, and nods to the orignal alien score but some things were left out, didnt ridley say in an interview there was a 2 hour 40 min version of the film? ... scenes missing/ things not explained

Spoiler
From the trailers the shot of weylan and his entourage entering a room on the promethues with the head of secruity shooting?  When the mowhaw guy returns to the ship, a bunch of the guys jump into the people carrier thing and drive off never to be seen or spoken off again, in the trailer the captain shouting, why is that door open and shoot anything that moves? Shaw just not telling anyone bout the thing she just cut out of her self or NO one taking on the incission. The shot of shaw driving the people carrier? Vickers death felt like a huge cop out
[close]

Still enjoyed it alot, the ending felt like force sequel bait, and people bitched bout gestation time in the avp films lol hide for cover.

XenoPuke

XenoPuke

I read your review, seems interesting. Although, the ProtoAlien doesn't really make alot of sense.

AvP has established that Xenomorphs have already existed for thousands of years, meaning that the creatures encountered in Prometheus could not have been ProtoAliens.

My only theory for these organisms is that, if they originated from this black goop, which obviously must contain genetic material, then perhaps, assuming that the Xenomorphs are a creation of the Space Jockey, these organisms came from leftover genetic material from true ProtoAliens made long ago.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed