The Matrix: Resurrections (2021)

Started by Shasvre, Jan 24, 2011, 03:00:52 PM

Author
The Matrix: Resurrections (2021) (Read 52,210 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I f**king LOVED this movie, hot damn!

Kradan

Kradan

You ... did ? I genuinely curious to hear your thoughts

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jan 14, 2022, 10:41:26 PM
I f**king LOVED this movie, hot damn!

Current situation means I haven't been able to see it yet, but I suspect I will too. Also interested in reading your thoughts.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

First of all they maxed out on the photography this thing looks gorgeous, I WISH all blockbusters nowadays looked THIS good

can't for the life of me get why people say "the directing is poor" really, perhaps there's some misconception on what directing is because this was wonderfully directed & scripted (except for the dialogue which sometimes incorporates modern terminology like "sheeple" which is jarring, but we're literally talking words)

the meta element is really on the nose and that's what's great about it -- I'm tired of some themes having to be subtle with what they want to say, this one goes balls out (much like Don't Look Up) and it works

there's some great expansion on the lore which deserves its own movie or TV series (I'd love another Animatrix based on this), you'll get it when you see it

[cancerblack]

Glad you enjoyed it. I read the (extremely accurate and comprehensive) leaked plot document at least six months before the film came out and have also read a lot of discussion about it - frankly after reading the leak it didn't feel like the type of thing I need to worry about spoilers with at all in regards to the minutiae not covered there.

The fact some sources are claiming it will lose WB up to $100m is the icing on the cake as well.

Nightmare Asylum

Will post more/engage in more discussion when I'm less tired, but for now, bumping my initial post as I firmly sit in the "I loved the movie" camp.  8) Have watched it a second time since then as well.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 22, 2021, 11:10:55 PM
The day tickets went on sale for this a few weeks back, I immediately booked tickets for the very first IMAX screening. Along with The Green Knight and Dune, this has been right up there as one of my most anticipated movies of the year. Unfortunately, this morning, I wound up canceling that IMAX screening I had booked – where I'm located COVID has been rearing its ugly head in pretty terrible fashion these last few weeks and I've been a bit under the weather myself, so I made the tough call and decided that I just really didn't want to bring my potentially-weakened immune system into a packed, opening day theater crowd and opted to watch on HBO Max instead.

Anyways, I hope that at some point after the Christmas season I'm able to get a screening of this in at a relatively empty theater because The Matrix: Resurrections really does scream for that big screen treatment.

Spoiler
This is not "The Matrix 4." It's an epilogue, a commentary, and a totally earnest romance in one swing, standing on its own two feet as a contained film. Unlike so many similar contemporary returns to big franchises in this vein, Resurrections feels like the product of an actual person calling the shots. The love story, which would be the B-plot at best in a film of this sort traditionally, is genuine and takes center stage here, and on the peripheral Resurrections is downright scathing of the modes of control – focus groups, test audiences, etc. – that steer the general direction of the entertainment landscape we currently inhabit (if the body of the film didn't make it clear enough, stick around for the credit scene – I'm sure it'll have everyone obsessing over the next big thing coming in a month before the next big thing coming in a month before the next big thing coming in a‐), but also genuinely hopeful and earnest in its own tale. The film can be messy at times, but messy in the way any work of the human hand might be. I love it and already can't wait to spend further time with this film on rewatch.
[close]

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I didn't think it was as bad as people said either. 

A few gripes is that age is finally catching up with my boy Keanu, and his action just isn't the same as it once was.  The fighting scenes just aren't as fluid when he's in as they used to be...........but that is expected. 

That the characters replacing other characters haven't found themselves in their roles yet.  Of the new mains none of them feel like natural fits like they did in the first series.  But they aren't terrible either.

That it feels too small scale compared to all the rest. 

Which all would be fine IF this movie does well enough to warrant sequels.  But poor box office returns is looking like this will be a no go. 

Would've been fine as a starting point for a new trilogy, but as the final in the series, if it remains that way,  it is disappointing. 

I suspect it will be one of those movies that gains popularity the longer it is released and people realize it just isn't the first trilogy, but that it also isn't bad.

Also, if you are going to bald someone in the real world, at least trim their DAMN EYEBROWS to match.  I was continually distracted by fuzzy caterpillars resting on the brow.

6.5/10

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The thing with Keanu's age is that he kicks a ton of ass in the John Wick movies (and there's, like, at least 2 more of those in active development) so the problem is with the movie and the action direction, not Keanu.

The director of the John Wick movies (who was also the fight choreographer for the first three Matrix movies) is *in Matrix Resurrections*, he plays Trinity's faux husband. Does anyone know if he was handling the action, too? There was kind of only one decent fight in the movie and it was alright, even if it was no John Wick.

Kradan

Kradan

Watch Keanu beat the crap out of bad guys in John Wick 4. WITH CANE !

dave1978

dave1978

The photography was awful,  it looked like a B movie or cheap TV series.  You must be watching on a CRT TV,

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: dave1978 on Jan 17, 2022, 11:32:49 AM
The photography was awful,  it looked like a B movie or cheap TV series.  You must be watching on a CRT TV,

I was about to say it clearly wasn't gorgeous, though I wouldn't say awful either.

Master

Master

New Matrix is like farting in the water. Bubbles are quite funny but then comes the smell...

Voodoo Magic

I finally got through this in 20-30 minute increments. The only thing I can personally appreciate about Resurrections is, next to it, suddenly I don't feel Reloaded and Revolutions is that bad.

[cancerblack]

Reloaded was never bad, and Revolutions is a drudge if you're not super invested in the metaphysics of the series as opposed to the action, but does resolve things in an appropriate way.

KiramidHead

Eh, I'd argue the machines basically pinky swearing not to murder all humans was a little hard to swallow and unsatisfying.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed