Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 Would Have Used Practical Alien Effects

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2019, 10:21:32 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 Would Have Used Practical Alien Effects (Read 28,722 times)

The Old One

The Old One

The face area and no saliva. But believable salvia's nigh impossible. (videogames)
No translucent labia oris.

SiL

Hunched over posture also doesn't help it. The original was often curled, but this is hunched at the shoulders all the time and it feels off. Scott actually got the posture right for the first time in like 40ish years in the shot of the protomorph entering the hangar bay. Chilling.

The Old One

The Old One

I believe the AI creature's posture's superior throughout exploration.

The reason the human posture's excellent throughout the cargo bay- ( and the original 1979 Alien and others) is the depiction's the Xenomorph's midsection, and above not below.

The Alien design full view; the elongated limbs, arms and digitigrade legs is superior IMO.

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 06, 2019, 10:51:16 AM
Love the hunch, markedly improves how the design comes off to me. Looks like you can actively tell it's hunting, or aggressive and if it was just walking about casually with the human silhouette and plantigrade legs it would look silly af.
The problem for me is it looks like every other hunched over man in a suit, which is my issue with every time Woodruff Jnr is in the suit. Upright and looking around calmly gives it a more intelligent aspect; it's scanning, searching, assessing, thinking. You see it even in Bolaji's suit tests, where he's not exactly stick straight, but he's not slouching at his shoulders.

The Terminator, of all things, is a good example of this. When he's tracking something down he scans the area upright, to get a complete view.

Hunched is beastly, which is lazy and unimaginative.

QuoteWhen you see it roaming around in full view, the digitigrade legs and leaning forward posture works best.
I really disagree here. Long, slender, human legs with an elegant walking motion could've worked wonders. The problem in Alien is that the full body shots were exclusively stunt people, not Bolaji. If they'd blown him out the airlock that ending wouldn't have looked quite as dodgy.

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 06, 2019, 12:42:38 PM
but it's not something the Isolation design's incapable of doing.
Well no argument there; I guess that goes more into how they applied it. Bad direction.

The Old One

The Old One

Xenomorphine

Saliva is actually easy to render in CGI. All you need is a transparent PNG image and place an animated 'waterfall' effect of fluid constantly moving down it. There are other methods for closer range renders.

Watching the recent digital series thing definitely reminded me about that weird jaw, I have to agree. A lot of the time, it doesn't matter, because the game uses shadowing to good effect, but it stands out when we see it.

From what I recall, weren't the digitigrade legs used because they couldn't get it look convincing when animating it on ordinary legs? Personally, I've always preferred the tri-jointed look in some of the comics, but it goes against canon for the human-hosted creatures and there are times it looks oddly bendy in the game.

TC

CA said that since the player was going to do a lot of hiding under beds, tables, desks etc, we were going to spend a lot of time staring at the alien's feet, and they felt the human plantigrade feet looked too ordinary and therefore not so scary.

As far as the hunched over posture goes, nowadays this is what you get from dinosaur movies. IOW the hunched over alien looks very similar in silhouette to all those velociraptors and t-rexes we see all the time, and the alien deserves better than that.

Also, (and I know this is counter-intuitive when you're greatest fear is that it will look like a man in a rubber suit), but when it's standing upright the fact that it is more human-like adds to the grotesque, perverted-nature effect.

Just my opinion.

TC

Corporal Hicks

The posture has never really been something that has bothered but me considering the Alien's terraforming bay entrance and it's human-like stance was one of the creepiest Alien moments in ages for me, I can completely agree with wanting a more upright posture.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed, but always? No.

Balance both IMO.

Munkeywrench

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 09, 2019, 05:38:53 PM
The posture has never really been something that has bothered but me considering the Alien's terraforming bay entrance and it's human-like stance was one of the creepiest Alien moments in ages for me, I can completely agree with wanting a more upright posture.

I agree! I'm not the biggest fan of Covenant but seeing it come walking in like that literally gave me chills

Samhain13

If only it didn't ran on four legs.

Kel G 426

How should it have ran? Like a person?

Samhain13

Samhain13

I like my aliens looking like men not dogs.

Spoiler
Unless they came out of a dog  :P
[close]

Kel G 426

Stalking around is one thing, but I can't imagine them sprinting on two legs and looking right. I'm okay with what was shown.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed