ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 386,851 times)

Perfect-Organism

So there are some rumours that since "Fire and Stone" is mentioned in the W-Y book, that Predators are also mentioned in the W-Y book.  Is this true?  Is there any mention of predators in the W-Y book?  That would be pretty lame IMO.

Xenomorphine

If FAS is canonised, then everything within that series is, too. Nonsensical Elden stuff, included.

Of course, depending on what the new 'Alien' film does in regards to the previous two, this entire book might soon be rendered irreconcilable with new canon, regardless. :)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 11, 2015, 03:37:14 PMSo there are some rumours that since "Fire and Stone" is mentioned in the W-Y book, that Predators are also mentioned in the W-Y book.  Is this true?  Is there any mention of predators in the W-Y book?  That would be pretty lame IMO.

As I just explained in the other thread, the report makes reference to the events of Aliens: Fire and Stone, ergo Predator: Fire and Stone must also have happened.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 11, 2015, 03:54:01 PM
If FAS is canonised, then everything within that series is, too. Nonsensical Elden stuff, included.

Of course, depending on what the new 'Alien' film does in regards to the previous two, this entire book might soon be rendered irreconcilable with new canon, regardless. :)

This is exactly what I just pointed out in another thread.  But it should be mentioned here.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 11, 2015, 04:00:22 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 11, 2015, 03:37:14 PMSo there are some rumours that since "Fire and Stone" is mentioned in the W-Y book, that Predators are also mentioned in the W-Y book.  Is this true?  Is there any mention of predators in the W-Y book?  That would be pretty lame IMO.

As I just explained in the other thread, the report makes reference to the events of Aliens: Fire and Stone, ergo Predator: Fire and Stone must also have happened.

Yes and its appropriate to bring the predator comment into this thread totally.  I think basically this draft of the W-Y book is doomed.  It will have to be retconned completely once Alien 5 comes out.  I smell a real cluster-truck brewing.  I honestly hope that in a future version of the book they include the Alien 5 and Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection films, but how could it then be presented as an "in-universe" documentary?  If W-Y puts out a documentary about two separate timelines, that smells of time-travel which is not suitable for this franchise.  Ergo, the whole book will need to be re-written.  Only the pictures will be good.

The idea of Elden doesn't bother me as being potentially canon.  But the execution would need to be totally different.  Elden was actually pretty well done for a comic book but there is no way that would ever fly in film.  Is Elden really canon?  Seriously?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 11, 2015, 12:46:01 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 11, 2015, 11:29:30 AMIt is:

Spoiler
Scott Milburn (with one "L") from Prometheus. Formerly Rafe Millburn, biologist.  ;)
[close]

Spoiler
Well if I'd known SM's first name was Scott, that would've made working out who it is a lot easier!
[close]

Spoiler
haha... I don't know for sure if that is the correct character, it's just an educated guess. Millburn is a good choice since his initials would be SM.  ;)
Anyone know if they managed to fix Mil(l)burns last name? I know SM warned the editors about the typo but it might have been too late.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 11, 2015, 04:09:58 PMErgo, the whole book will need to be re-written.

Lolwut?

No reason to screw with it for no reason. It's a beautiful book. Who cares if it doesn't fit in with the new film? It can still stand as a fine document of the old series.

Perfect-Organism

It can totally stand alone as a document of the original series.  But I think everyone here would love to see the art and contents of this book combined with Alien 5 and Prometheus 2.  And that would require not just an addition to the book, but an actual rewrite and rethink.  It won't be possible top resent 2 timelines from an in-universe perspective.  Which is all just as well.  I'll probably get the second version too...

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 11, 2015, 04:09:58 PM
I think basically this draft of the W-Y book is doomed.  It will have to be retconned completely once Alien 5 comes out.  I smell a real cluster-truck brewing.  I honestly hope that in a future version of the book they include the Alien 5 and Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection films, but how could it then be presented as an "in-universe" documentary?  If W-Y puts out a documentary about two separate timelines, that smells of time-travel which is not suitable for this franchise.  Ergo, the whole book will need to be re-written.  Only the pictures will be good.

And what if Alien 5 sucks balls? In such a case, why would you rewrite a perfectly good book just to accommodate a potentially crappy movie's canon?

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 11, 2015, 05:06:53 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 11, 2015, 04:09:58 PM
I think basically this draft of the W-Y book is doomed.  It will have to be retconned completely once Alien 5 comes out.  I smell a real cluster-truck brewing.  I honestly hope that in a future version of the book they include the Alien 5 and Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection films, but how could it then be presented as an "in-universe" documentary?  If W-Y puts out a documentary about two separate timelines, that smells of time-travel which is not suitable for this franchise.  Ergo, the whole book will need to be re-written.  Only the pictures will be good.

And what if Alien 5 sucks balls? In such a case, why would you rewrite a perfectly good book just to accommodate a potentially crappy movie's canon?

Wish somebody asked that in 1992...

janenad

Thanks SM for the reply!  ;D Though it is just theorizing, the theory would not really match with Alien Isolation where all the xenos are domed and a queen is supposedly present, plus they're older than the xenos in Aliens which just throws out the age theory..  :-\
I'd just like for a more concrete explanation for the difference, James Cameron in Aliens said it was age, A:CM and other sources said it was casts ( I like that idea the most), A:I just added more to the confusion not explaining anything even though I love the game.

Who knows, maybe it's the environment? 

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 11, 2015, 05:05:46 PMBut I think everyone here would love to see the art and contents of this book combined with Alien 5 and Prometheus 2.

Have you asked "everyone"?

I for one wouldn't want that at all.

Pretty sure everyone who worked so hard on the book would be pretty pissed off by the idea too.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 11, 2015, 05:22:28 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 11, 2015, 05:05:46 PMBut I think everyone here would love to see the art and contents of this book combined with Alien 5 and Prometheus 2.

Have you asked "everyone"?

I for one wouldn't want that at all.

Pretty sure everyone who worked so hard on the book would be pretty pissed off by the idea too.

You're certainly welcome to not want a book which would feature a documentation of all the main Alien films.  I mean that would only make sense.  Who am I to judge?

Maybe you can refrain from talking on behalf of the creators and I'll change "everyone" to "most people".  Ultimately a poll will solve the rhetorical question.

Why don't we ask the creators if they would ever want to change the book to accommodate Alien 5 and Prometheus 2?  I'm not knocking the book.  I think it is an outstanding achievement.  I just think it's a fair question so that the hard work they put in does not get relegated to non-canon status.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 11, 2015, 05:40:29 PMYou're certainly welcome to not want a book which would feature a documentation of all the main Alien films.

It does document all the main Alien films. Alien 5 isn't going to be out for years yet, so are you suggesting they delay the book until then? What would be the point in that?

Perfect-Organism

Not at all.  I'm suggesting that once the new films come out, it would be great to see this book get updated to reflect the complete Alien films.  That does not negate the value of this book as it is, but it would necessitate a new format in the sense that it could no longer be in-universe if it covered multiple timelines.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 11, 2015, 06:13:44 PMNot at all.  I'm suggesting that once the new films come out, it would be great to see this book get updated to reflect the complete Alien films.  That does not negate the value of this book as it is, but it would necessitate a new format in the sense that it could no longer be in-universe if it covered multiple timelines.

Or they could just leave it as it is and not worry about it.

Seriously, what would be the point? If we're redoing stuff to make it fit the new film, why not go back and redo all the old comics? All the novels? Everything? Because it would be an utterly pointless enterprise. The book serves its purpose as it is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed