Introducing Walter, Alien: Covenant's New Synthetic

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2016, 10:29:12 PM

Author
Introducing Walter, Alien: Covenant's New Synthetic (Read 48,366 times)

Ingwar

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Nov 03, 2016, 07:11:16 PM
First they change the Xenos and now they are changing the naming order of the androids?

When are you going to stop, Scott!? Stop changing stuff!!!!!

Is that naming order so important? It's just a name. Edward or Walter? Who cares? Accept that. Don't be so orthodox about those little things. It doesn't have any impact on the plot itself.

motherfather

motherfather

True it doesnt serve any purpose on lots of levels, but like Mulder placing an impromptu X on his window using masking tape, or gulping down sunflower seeds,  the alphabetic naming of Alien androids belongs to the nerdgasmic slightly ritualistic minutae that makes for a great movie/show with a cult following.

Master

It is one of this little quirks specific to alien franchise , like drinking birds placed all over. Are they crucial for the franchise? Of course not, but by throwing them out you lose identity bulit for thirty years.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: motherfather on Nov 03, 2016, 10:03:14 PM
True it doesnt serve any purpose on lots of levels (...)

It doesn't serve any purpose at all. Some hardcore fans have almost "religious" approach towards that matter which I utterly don't understand. But then again, everyone's got different taste.

Quote from: Master on Nov 03, 2016, 10:13:05 PM
(...) Are they crucial for the franchise? Of course not, but by throwing them out you lose identity bulit for thirty years.

You don't lose anything. Especially identity. It's just a name :)

Master

For me it's throwing away something small but special.  Throwing away willingly!

The Bonus Situation

Agree with Ingwar. Plus there is still the capital 'D' David in this film, right after the capital 'C' Call from Resurrection, so technically Scott is not really breaking that alphabetical order. Maybe even David somehow integrates his AI conscious into Walter and starts doing bad things again, so its not really Walter, but its the capital 'D' David.

Valaquen

I'm sure the naming of Walter and David is more of an ode to Walter Hill and David Giler, who created the character of Ash.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 04, 2016, 12:01:49 AM
I'm sure the naming of Walter and David is more of an ode to Walter Hill and David Giler, who created the character of Ash.

Nailed it! :)

HuDaFuK

Good call, Val!

Corporal Hicks

I'll love it if that is intentional.

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 04, 2016, 09:44:49 AM

All we need is a character named Dan who insists the robots aren't needed on the ship  :laugh:

Necronomicon II

426Buddy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 04, 2016, 09:44:49 AM

This has been mentioned twice already in this thread lol  :P

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Oct 30, 2016, 11:15:50 PM
Though bit of a stretch could the name be a reference tribute to Walter Hill one of the producers of the Alien series? Come to think of it does that mean David was named after producer David Giller?

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 31, 2016, 08:52:50 PM
Starting with David these androids will be named after the producers of Alien, the next movie will feature Gordon as the synthetic.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

But Ridley wanted Ash to be a Martian. So 35 years later in a fit of pique, he decided to do an entire film about a Martian and turn the Brandywine dudes into droids in the next Alien film.

426Buddy

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 04, 2016, 04:20:35 PM
But Ridley wanted Ash to be a Martian. So 35 years later in a fit of pique, he decided to do an entire film about a Martian and turn the Brandywine dudes into droids in the next Alien film.

Considering how much David Giler and Walter Hill have been apart of the franchise I think it's quite possible.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed