Do you think Alien 5 should digitally de-age Sigourney Weaver/Michael Biehn?

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Jul 23, 2015, 10:49:34 PM

Author
Do you think Alien 5 should digitally de-age Sigourney Weaver/Michael Biehn? (Read 16,298 times)

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jul 23, 2015, 10:49:34 PM
Digitally de-aging actors has improved a great deal in the last couple of years.

The technology made its debut, I believe, in X-Men: The Last Stand.
http://themoviesrevealed.webs.com/x3001316ru.jpg

Sure, it wasn't really all that convincing in the days of Tron: Legacy or Terminator Salvation.

http://www.newcinema.it/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/schwarzenegger-computerizzato-in-terminator-salvation-480x349.jpg

Two films this year, however, have improved upon the effect.  First of all - the 'young' T-800 in several shots of Terminator: Genisys looked rather good, even if other shots stayed within the uncanny valley.

Ant-Man , which came out this month, is responsible for bringing about some of the most convincing results, in its opening scene.  Everywhere I've seen very very positive reactions to the execution of this effect.  Many audience members I've read on various forums or seen in Youtube reviews say how they were legitimately fooled. 

Spoiler
[close]

The only real criticism I've heard regard slight proportional inaccuracies, and how the mouth was sometimes unconvincing.  It's still a tremendous improvement for the last couple of years.  And with a few more years before we can expect Neil Blomkamp's entry into the Alien series, do you think it is possible that it is that movie that will finally perfect the technology?

Do you guys think they should use this technology? Or should they stick with how the actors look now?

So, de-aging would be counterintuitive. Sigourney and Michael's ages should be embraced much like the trio's age in The Force Awakens. No one complained that any of them looked older. They looked older because they WERE older. The audience isn't naive. That makes it cooler. Own your truth.

Newt would probably be in her 20s/30s in this film. So all you gotta do is pair up classic Ripley with a hot young A lister to pass the baton to and you've got success!

MrSpaceJockey

I could see it being used briefly in the start just to see what happened right after Ripley, Hicks, Newt, Bishop wake up, before a fast-foward to 30 years later, which would be the time frame for the rest of the film.

BishopShouldGo

MrSpaceJockey

Thanks for stating the obvious? 

Most details in movies are, in fact, "unnecessary."  The scale of the space jockey set in ALIEN was initially deemed "unnecessary" by the studio.  It wasn't "necessary" for James Cameron to recreate the miniature model and full sized set of the Narcissus from scratch in the opening of ALIENS.  He could've just started the film from Gateway station, but he made some decisions to help bridge together the first movie to the second.  I merely suggest how de-aging tech could be used in the opening of Blomkamp's film to help bridge together a 31 year old film to a new sequel, which could help establish the choice the ignore Alien 3 and Resurrection, in a thread about de-aging technology.  Pointless comment.

BishopShouldGo

You don't need to bridge anything to anything. The studio isn't going to spend extra money de-aging when they could just treat have the story take place 30/35 years later. They could establish dates and years in one or two pieces of dialogue. No need to baby-step the audience.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

I'm going to say that it would be perfectly ok to just do a film 30 years after Aliens.  But if they want to add a snippet here and there with young digitally de-aged actors, as long as they don't overdo it, and it actually serves the story, it should be ok.  Peace, I'm out of this thread.  Starting to chase my own tail...

SM

QuoteGosh I know sarcasm is hard to discern via text but I thought I was making it blatantly obvious.

You did.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 09, 2017, 10:58:47 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 08, 2017, 10:14:23 PMFalse. Only A list actors have the ability to be good.

You're a moron.

I've seen so many unknowns turn in stellar performances, and I've seen plenty of "A-listers" turn it utter crap.

Huda, that was completely inappropriate and uncalled for.  How old are you?  Who talks that way to other people, even when they don't agree on something?

The Cruentus

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 09, 2017, 10:30:24 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 09, 2017, 10:58:47 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 08, 2017, 10:14:23 PMFalse. Only A list actors have the ability to be good.

You're a moron.

I've seen so many unknowns turn in stellar performances, and I've seen plenty of "A-listers" turn it utter crap.

Huda, that was completely inappropriate and uncalled for.  How old are you?  Who talks that way to other people, even when they don't agree on something?

A lot of people on here apparently and unfortunately, sadly that is forums for you, I wish it was different. There was no need to bring this up either P-O, Hicks already told him to rise above it.

Going back to what has been said, I too see no point in de-aging them, even for a short flashback... the movie can just be set 30 years later. Star wars did it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed