Petition to not retcon the Alien franchise

Started by marrerom, Mar 06, 2015, 05:17:37 AM

Author
Petition to not retcon the Alien franchise (Read 4,505 times)

JPredator

although i can understand fans of alien 3 and 4 being upset over a retcon, i am not sure why this is necessary.

alien 3 and 4 are not going anywhere. they exist and will always exist. if they make a new film retconing them then so what? as long as we get a great film then that should be all that matters.

for the record, i do not believe this new alien film will be better then the assembly cut of alien 3. i have come to really appreciate that film. however, if someone wants to make a new film showing an alternate version of ripley, hicks and newts fates then i dont see a problem. we have it in comics in the form of earth war and that was interesting. we have it in the form of what if stories from the unused alien 3 scripts. this time we get to see a new version of what could of happend.

i hate alien 4 with a passion and believe blomkamp will make a better film then that.

no matter what though, this film will not replace your copies of alien 3 and 4 so why cant we just accept that this is happening and wait and see how it turns out.

The Cruentus

You know what? I was conflicted about a retcon, because as much as I would like to see Alien: Resurrection retconned because it was too O.T.T and silly as hell. I didn't mind Alien 3, it punches you in the gut sure but it had its own message and I liked the Runner and adaptive abilities of the Alien.

Now I honestly wouldn't mind at all if Alien V retcons Alien 3 as well if only to undo the magic egg thing.

Asks yourselves one thing, for a series supposed to be grounded in gritty realism, is it so bad to retcon Alien 3 (GR but magic egg) and Alien: Reurrection (no GR, full of borderline supernatural fantasy nonsense with super-hereos with acid blood that spoiled the series)? The answer really becomes so easy when you realize what the series was supposed to be like. Sure maybe it would be better to only retcon Resurrection but this path is better than nothing and could put the Alien series on a serious path again.

Rankles75

The last two films were abominations that received poor ratings, were widely hated by fans and set the series on the road to ruin. I have no problem in taking them out of the continuity. As has been mentioned elsewhere, it's not like those films are going anywhere, I'm just interested to see if NB can get the series back on track. Not going to be easy after all these years but I remain cautiously optimistic...

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuotePetition to not retcon the Alien franchise

lulz

Perfect-Organism

This has inspired me to set up another petition to retcon Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.  Great idea!  Those films are pretty good but they have to go in favor of better films...

Adam802

cant support this

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 06, 2015, 02:03:00 PM
QuotePetition to not retcon the Alien franchise

lulz

This.  Go ahead guys, create even more buzz.

marrerom

Guys, calm down.  I'm not against Neill Blomkamp, I actually think he has the potential to make an awesome Alien film.  I also don't care if his new film ignores Alien 3 & 4 completely the same way Predators ignored predator 2 and the AvP films.  What I want to avoid is his new film "undoing" Alien 3 & 4. As in, it would be impossible for them to have occurred. 

I created this petition to show support for the continuity of the franchise, not because I am against Blomkamp or his supporters.  We're all friends here  :)

Son Of Kane

This won't undo A3 & A:R for the hundredth time.

It's an alternate continuity.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 06, 2015, 05:01:36 PM

Yeah, unless they're going to bury all the copies of A3 and AR next to the Atari 2600 E.T. cartridges, this movie won't "undo" anything.

The Cruentus

The movies will always be there but the "continuity" will be retconned thus making the films non-canon but always present.

Local Trouble

Superman III and IV say welcome to the club.

The Cruentus

Indeed, Nuclear man will be good friends with Newborn.  :laugh:

Close Encounters

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 06, 2015, 06:44:25 PM
Superman III and IV say welcome to the club.

Don't forget Holloween III-VI. They were there first.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 06, 2015, 05:01:36 PM

This. Strongly this.

I don't understand why the fandom has to have a narrow view. Why does everything have to be black and white? Canon or non-canon? Why can't there be a compromise with alternatives?

Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 06, 2015, 06:50:30 PM
Don't forget Holloween III-VI. They were there first.

According to the Halloween wiki and the TV Tropes... those are an alternate continuity. At least IV through VI are.. Halloween III is it's own thing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed