Blomkamp v Fox: The Continuity Wars

Started by Magegg, Mar 01, 2015, 03:56:08 PM

Author
Blomkamp v Fox: The Continuity Wars (Read 6,974 times)

Magegg

Magegg

The idea of Ripley and Hicks's deaths being retconned doesn't seem that unlikely, still.

The idea has been touched many times in the last years and Fox made Alien: Colonial Marines canon... I mean, I know how little "game canon" means in the end, but that's probably a sign that they might end up approving the idea...

What I don't want them to do is trying to make everything connected to Prometheus 2 in hopes of bringing a higher explanation while trying to reconcile all the storylines. I want the Alien series to be Alien, to keep on with their low level of sci fi and not start introducing things from Prometheus there.

Prometheus is OK for a spinoff, I can even consider them canon but just don't have those series to touch, the themes on both are extremely different and even the opposite...

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 01, 2015, 04:54:08 PM
If Ripley 8 is not going to be in it, and Weaver is supposedly in talks to be in it, then it's going to feature Ripley (obviously). It means both 3 and 4 are ignored, unless you want some Doctor Who stuff to happen in the midst of 3, or Alienkamp to be a dream -- none of which is actually going to happen, because in their own words they want to give a "proper closure" to the character of Ripley. Factor in the concept art and there you go.

People have been taking the "I don't want to undo 3 and 4" thing down to semantics because there's a clinging desperation to hold onto them (for some reason; people are completely free to ignore this new project). That statement does not necessarily have a literal meaning. It can simply mean that the filmmakers do not want to disrespect those films -- or they do not want them to be any less significant after this new film is released. To me, it just sounds like some kind of programmed soothing thing to calm down some fans.

I haven't taken anything down to semantics. What he has said, doesn't make sense. He mentioned 'not trying to undo A3 or A:R'
This seemed to us all, in response to the internet blasting of "He is retconning the series." So, this doesn't make sense without some further context.

It's not butt hurt to not want to see the integrity of the franchise to be further ruined.
Im the first to face palm every time I see A:R... Still, I don't think its unsalvagable at all.In fact I think the more Ive examined this retcon idea the more salvagable I think it really is.

The fact is I want to see A L I E N 5 I do not want to see A L I E N S² !

But I digress, it's not about my attachment to the narrative. It's about the integrity of the franchise AND MORE IMPORTANTLY FUTURE FRANCHISES. This isn't TERMINATOR where you have a trap-door because of Time Travel.

If you do this, you can simply just do anything at all moving forward.

I am also a huge fan of the Halloween franchise. And to this day, I cannot believe how screwed up it is. It has been completely ruined in very much the same way and in retrospect, all I see is this gaping "We just didn't care enough to try. We just wanted to do whatever would make us money."

And I think that YES, I do LOVE Alien 3 with every bit of gratitude that I love Aliens, but that really is beside the fact.

I just am fundamentally against the entire idea of retcons as being a possibility whatsoever. Maybe its because I am a writer of sorts? To me, its a complete and utter disgrace and it will cheapen the franchise I have loved for so many years in a way, I can't not be angry about because Ive invested years of fandom into Alien and one of the reasons I was so proud to have doen so, was because it DID NOT do things like this that ruin the integrity of the series.

To me this is worse than the AVP - they've been on earth all along - BS. At least, in that case, you could make it work in your brain if you want to (which I didn't). And don't get me wrong. AVP was garbage precisely because they set it on Earth. I would have been very happy with it set on some far off planet and I hope they REBOOT AVP in that specific way. But AVP never had the integrity ALIEN does. Its just a fun comic book movie. Alien is a-class filmaking all around.

marrerom

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 01, 2015, 05:35:23 PM
If Ripley 8 is not going to be in it, and Weaver is supposedly in talks to be in it, then it's going to feature Ripley (obviously). It means both 3 and 4 are ignored, unless you want some Doctor Who stuff to happen in the midst of 3, or Alienkamp to be a dream -- none of which is actually going to happen, because in their own words they want to give a "proper closure" to the character of Ripley. Factor in the concept art and there you go.

People have been taking the "I don't want to undo 3 and 4" thing down to semantics because there's a clinging desperation to hold onto them (for some reason; people are completely free to ignore this new project). That statement does not necessarily have a literal meaning. It can simply mean that the filmmakers do not want to disrespect those films -- or they do not want them to be any less significant after this new film is released. To me, it just sounds like some kind of programmed soothing thing to calm down some fans.

I haven't taken anything down to semantics. What he has said, doesn't make sense. He mentioned 'not trying to undo A3 or A:R'
This seemed to us all, in response to the internet blasting of "He is retconning the series." So, this doesn't make sense without some further context.

It's not butt hurt to not want to see the integrity of the franchise to be further ruined.
Im the first to face palm every time I see A:R... Still, I don't think its unsalvagable at all.In fact I think the more Ive examined this retcon idea the more salvagable I think it really is.

The fact is I want to see ALIEN5 I do not want to see Aliens^2 !

But I digress, it's not about my attachment to the narrative. It's about the integrity of the franchise AND MORE IMPORTANTLY FUTURE FRANCHISES. This isn't TERMINATOR where you have a trap-door because of Time Travel.

I am also a huge fan of the Halloween franchise. And to this day, I cannot believe how screwed up it is. It has been completely ruined in very much the same way and in retrospect, all I see is this gaping "We just didn't care enough to try. We just wanted to do whatever would make us money."

And I think that YES, I do LOVE Alien 3 with every bit of gratitude that I love Aliens, but that really is beside the fact.

I just am fundamentally against the entire idea of retcons as being a possibility whatsoever. Maybe its because I am a writer of sorts? To me, its a complete and utter disgrace and it will cheapen the franchise I have loved for so many years in a way, I can't not be angry about because Ive invested years of fandom into Alien and one of the reasons I was so proud to have doen so, was because it DID NOT do things like this that ruin the integrity of the series.

To me this is worse than the AVP - they've been on earth all along - BS. At least, in that case, you could make it work in your brain if you want to (which I didn't). And don't get me wrong. AVP was garbage precisely because they set it on Earth. I would have been very happy with it set on some far off planet and I hope they REBOOT AVP in that specific way. But AVP never had the integrity ALIEN does. Its just a fun comic book movie. Alien is a-class filmaking all around.

Preach it brother, I'm against the idea of a retcon 100%. All I want is an Alien 5 that respects continuity and gives a satisfying conclusion to Ripley's journey.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 01, 2015, 05:13:23 PM
At the end of the day, the buck stops with Fox. They won't allow Blomkamp to make the movie unless they're satisfied with where it's going.

This is what I imagine happened:

-Late 2014: Blomkamp pitches his Alien film idea to Fox. Fox likes it but says they require changes.

Blomkamp says he wants complete and unfettered creative freedom or he is not interested anymore.

Negotiations reach an impasse.

-2 January 2015: Blomkamp posts selected images from his pitch on his Instagram account saying he no longer thinks that he is working on it anymore.

The images make headlines on Film and Mainstream media. Lots of positive reactions.

-19 February 2015: Blomkamp gets a call from Fox. Fox says ok, he can have it his way.

evolution_rex

Actually, I'm pretty certain Blomkamp and Fox are both leaning to the retcon idea, they just understand that saying the word 'retcon' will create a negative response from the fanbase.

marrerom

Quote from: evolution_rex on Mar 01, 2015, 07:52:43 PM
Actually, I'm pretty certain Blomkamp and Fox are both leaning to the retcon idea, they just understand that saying the word 'retcon' will create a negative response from the fanbase.

That begs the question of why would they be leaning towards doing a retcon if they know that the fanbase would have a negative response?

Son Of Kane

Quote from: marrerom on Mar 01, 2015, 08:02:08 PM
Quote from: evolution_rex on Mar 01, 2015, 07:52:43 PM

That begs the question of why would they be leaning towards doing a retcon if they know that the fanbase would have a negative response?

Because they think we're... we're crud.
And they don't give a f**k-

JK

Rankles75

Who says the fanbase would have a negative response to a retcon???

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Rankles75 on Mar 01, 2015, 08:06:54 PM

It wouldn't, just a vocal minority really.

marrerom

Quote from: Rankles75 on Mar 01, 2015, 08:06:54 PM

According to the poll on the front page the fanbase is split pretty evenly at 57% vs 43% on the idea of a retcon. Thats not an overwhelming majority by any means. 

Son Of Kane

Yes, but I'm willing to be that most Alien fans don't even attend websites like this. So I wouldn't call that number accurate exactly.

Adam802

Quote from: marrerom on Mar 01, 2015, 05:45:30 PM
Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 01, 2015, 05:35:23 PM

The fact is I want to see ALIEN5 I do not want to see Aliens^2 !

Preach it brother, I'm against the idea of a retcon 100%. All I want is an Alien 5 that respects continuity and gives a satisfying conclusion to Ripley's journey.

Satisfying conclusion to ripley's journey.  Then it cant be after A:R, thats for damn sure.  Thats one reason why I like the retcon/alt-timeline idea.

Mister Skeezler

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 01, 2015, 04:58:09 PMI'm sure Fox would allow her to be included if that was the plan. They allowed the comic where Aliens, Predators and Terminators were going at it, after all... And that was genuinely awful. :'(

I just had a horrifying flash of bad hentai.

I'd like to know the real numbers of the actual fanbase that are in favor of keeping A3 and AR. And what the f**k are we going to do if this turns out better than A3?

Son Of Kane

A3 and A:R will still exist, I suppose the new film would become the official canon for most.

Adam802

Quote from: Mister Skeezler on Mar 01, 2015, 08:45:01 PM
And what the f**k are we going to do if this turns out better than A3?

Rejoice?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed