POLL: Should Blomkamp's ALIEN film retcon the series?

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Feb 19, 2015, 10:18:17 PM

Should Blomkamp's ALIEN film eliminate ALIEN 3 and ALIEN Resurrection from the canon?

Strong Yes
Indifferent, but inclined to say Yes
Indifferent, but inclined to say No
Strong No
Whatever happens happens.
Author
POLL: Should Blomkamp's ALIEN film retcon the series? (Read 20,508 times)

A.F

This is simple as this Alien 3 and Resurrection have been bad nightmares of ripley on hypersleep. Then we can continue the Alien franchise after Aliens with Colonial Marines going on war with Weyland Yutani.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: A.F on Feb 20, 2015, 09:12:21 PM
This is simple as this Alien 3 and Resurrection have been bad nightmares of ripley on hypersleep. Then we can continue the Alien franchise after Aliens with Colonial Marines going on war with Weyland Yutani.

That's a huge cop out right then and there, and it's that thinking which leads to fan pandering.

The last thing the franchise needs to do is to pull off what Dallas and Roseanne did by making the last installments rendered as nothing more than bad dreams. It sounds like a good idea to the disgruntled fan but we don't need fan pandering.

irn

irn

I think the overall general concensus is people would reluctantly like Alien 3 to remain canon while Alien Resurrection is just forgotten about.

The saving grace for AR is that it is set so far in the future that you can pretty much ignore without affecting it.

Perhaps there is a solution in this: The new Alien film is set after Aliens and ends with Ripley suffering amnesia before going back into cryo. So basically working it so the series order is Alien, Aliens, Blomkamps Alien film, Alien 3.

Everyone's happy! Ripley, Hicks and Newt can have their little adventure then get whacked and have the story arc end. Solves yer two eggs on the Sulaco problem too.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: irn on Feb 20, 2015, 09:54:46 PMPerhaps there is a solution in this: The new Alien film is set after Aliens and ends with Ripley suffering amnesia before going back into cryo. So basically working it so the series order is Alien, Aliens, Blomkamps Alien film, Alien 3.

That's exactly how Out of the Shadows ended. It was lame in the book and would be lame in a film.

Gash

So you're suggesting a 65 year old Weaver can portray a 35 year old Ripley?

irn

Quote from: Gash on Feb 20, 2015, 10:59:44 PM
So you're suggesting a 65 year old Weaver can portray a 35 year old Ripley?

It's workable.

razeak

The Tron sequel and Jeff Bridges comes to mind. It was pretty well done and only seemed slightly off to me. In a darker environment like the Alien series, it could work better.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: razeak on Feb 21, 2015, 03:11:28 PMThe Tron sequel and Jeff Bridges comes to mind. It was pretty well done and only seemed slightly off to me. In a darker environment like the Alien series, it could work better.

Really? I thought he looked like rigid plastic. It was kinda impressive but it still looked very fake.

MrSpaceJockey

Actually, that doesn't sound sooooo far-fetched.  We're 5 years past Tron: Legacy now, and by the time this movie comes out, another 1 or 2 years, maybe even 3, plus WETA will probably definitely be involved, so maybe our first convincing CGI deaging of an actress will be done in the new Alien film.

Perfect-Organism

I would imagine Alien 5 is set years possibly decades after Aliens.  If it was similar to Aliens Book 1 from Dark Horse, that would be cool...

CainsSon

I mentioned this in another long post but think it prolly got lost in my long windedness.

I think there are two questions that need answering here:

1. Will Siggy Weaves agree to retconning the third and forth films?

My intincts tell me the answer to that is a resounding NO.

So, the next question is:

2. Will FOX want to make ALIEN 5 without Weaver?

A few possibilities here -

If NO - a) Will Weaver accept Hicks? I think she will, since she has gone on the record to say she enjoys the idea of continuity extending into the Video games.

If NO - b) Of course, the question is how and where will this fall in the franchise - we've all discussed the questions this raises.

If YES - a) Will they bring Hicks/Biehn back without Ripley or start fresh?

If YES - b) Will they link Prometheus more so? And where will this fall in the timeline?

If YES - c) Wll FOX try and link AVP stuff here? In keeping with FIRE AND STONE?

My op on AVP is it should always remain completely separate from the Alien franchise timeline.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 21, 2015, 10:05:33 PM
My op on AVP is it should always remain completely separate from the Alien franchise timeline.

Agreed with this to a certain extent.

Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 21, 2015, 10:05:33 PM
If YES - c) Wll FOX try and link AVP stuff here? In keeping with FIRE AND STONE?

I hope Fox leaves that Fire and Stone jive out.

Wobblyboddle77

I can't see Blomkamp disregarding Alien 3 and A:R, he will leave that to the studio to sort out. Weaver will go with whatever the director and studio chooses, she does have a big influence though, so whatever decision they come up with, i don't think they will jettison Alien 3 or A:R out've the airlock :)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Wobblyboddle77 on Feb 21, 2015, 11:54:35 PM
I can't see Blomkamp disregarding Alien 3 and A:R, he will leave that to the studio to sort out.

In the realm of possibility, FOX retconning Alien 3 and Resurrection is very high. At some point they even considered it when they approached one of the authors of the Titan Publishing books. They almost went through with it but then changed their minds. However there is nothing stopping them from changing their minds again. It's just a matter of IF, now.

Quote from: Wobblyboddle77 on Feb 21, 2015, 11:54:35 PM
Weaver will go with whatever the director and studio chooses, she does have a big influence though, so whatever decision they come up with, i don't think they will jettison Alien 3 or A:R out've the airlock :)

I don't know what Weaver's thoughts are on Alien 3 and Resurrection. I don't even know if she has publicly voiced her opinion out on those two movies. But it's not uncommon for stars to sometimes hate the movies they had a hand in.. I mean Stallone hates Rocky V, even regrets making the film. Not sure if Weaver has any similar sentiments to the later of the Alien installments.

Wobblyboddle77

Weaver has stated she liked the direction A:R took the Ripley character, even though that was a few years ago. A:R i don't mind as a film, but the last act really does let it down.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed