Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 18, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood! (Read 89,456 times)

Kradan


Shamo

And another great podcast! I need to start learning from you guys how to conduct nice flowing interviews.

I instantly went and bought the comic book. Can't wait to dig in!

Douglas

Great podcast; I really need to go back and re-read this now!

RidgeTop you mention Dark Horse's more out-of-the-ordinary graphic novels, as someone just getting into the comics, would it be possible to list a few as would be keen to get them?

426Buddy

Great podcast again guys! You spoil us :D

I had my misgivings about the setup and not seeing the demise of whip predator, but this is a d*mn good AvP story. It's a worthy story for DH to end on, definitely a high note.

I had it in my top five AVP comics but after listening to the podcast and giving it another read, I would nudge it into my top 3.

Voodoo Magic

Great podcast gentlemen!  Fun and informative. Good stuff.  I wish I loved the book as much as you both!

SuperiorIronman

Kind of weird to say but I'm glad my dislike of the first half was actually intentional by the writer. The second half really does bring it all together.

It's cool the whip came back even if it was in a sort of roundabout way. Likely the artists decision to base it on the Requiem whip since that has available reference material Fox would already approve. Shame we don't see that thing more often. I'm not expecting it show up in Hunting Grounds but I'm kind of surprised I don't see it more in comics.

I have to say though that as interesting as that dynamic is for the Predators and how it relates to the kids, it doesn't really come out in the story. Sure they only had so much time to do it but that seems like crucial information that would've benefitted the story. It's something cool to look back on the story in hindsight but I shouldn't have to listen to a pod cast in order to get what a character's deal is. I'm not saying Jeremy Barlow should've shoved it in, I'm saying Thicker Than Blood needed an extra issue to help convey that and I pin the blame on Darkhorse for that. It works fine without it but that's such an interesting detail I'd have liked it actually getting the time to be explored. That all being said TTB is one of the best AVP stories I've read so if Marvel ever gets around to reprinting it I would love to see them do something like a "directors cut" where Jeremy can add that back in.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jan 24, 2021, 03:47:01 PM
I have to say though that as interesting as that dynamic is for the Predators and how it relates to the kids, it doesn't really come out in the story. Sure they only had so much time to do it but that seems like crucial information that would've benefitted the story. It's something cool to look back on the story in hindsight but I shouldn't have to listen to a pod cast in order to get what a character's deal is.

I do believe if Barlow eliminated some inconsequential portions like Denver and his bird and explained the Predator family dynamic, all playing off the Thicker than Blood angle in a human and Predator aspects, it could have been wonderful. Instead, any indication of the Predators relation to each other is non existent, and there's no clue to indicate we were witnessing a Predator father and two sons. Heck, the one flame throwing the Xeno came across as the elder to me because he had the battle scars and busted mandibles. Like Wolf, he looked like he's been going at it for a long time...

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 24, 2021, 04:11:34 PM
I do believe if Barlow eliminated some inconsequential portions like Denver and his bird ...

Have to agree here. That character was kinda pointless

XenoHunter99

Cheers to Hicks and Ridgetop! Excellent interview with Jeremy Barlow. I appreciate Mr Barlow's candor and was amused with his writer advice (Marry up!)  :o ;D

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 24, 2021, 04:14:39 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 24, 2021, 04:11:34 PM
I do believe if Barlow eliminated some inconsequential portions like Denver and his bird ...

Have to agree here. That character was kinda pointless

Yep, and the Predators were handled character-wise really badly here too in my eyes / my humble opinion, but... although I wouldn't pick a 15 year old girl and an 8 year old android as my lead protagonists unless I was writing an AvP series for Disney+  :), Maria and Tyler's brother & sister dynamic and the way they interacted together was really well done by Barlow. It definitely felt authentic to me. 👏

Russ840

Great Podcast and interview guys.

This story is now my second fav AVP behind the original.

Was also real cool to hear one of my comments get a mention here. Lol.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

#371
Quote from: Shamo on Jan 23, 2021, 11:49:16 PM
And another great podcast! I need to start learning from you guys how to conduct nice flowing interviews.

It's called anal editing.  ;D But seriously, it helps when the guests are as into it as we are! Jeremy was great to chat to. And we never expected the level of background that Jeremy revealed in this one.


Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jan 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM
Cheers to Hicks and Ridgetop! Excellent interview with Jeremy Barlow. I appreciate Mr Barlow's candor and was amused with his writer advice (Marry up!)  :o ;D

I suppose "win the lottery" is another viable out.  :laugh:


I'm glad everyone is enjoying this.  :)

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2021, 08:36:55 AM

It's called anal editing.  ;D But seriously, it helps when the guests are as into it as we are! Jeremy was great to chat to. And we never expected the level of background that Jeremy revealed in this one.

It's a damn shame that we didn't get all the background detailed in a some extras for the trade. Damn shame.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Russ840 on Jan 27, 2021, 11:08:32 AM
It's a damn shame that we didn't get all the background detailed in a some extras for the trade. Damn shame.

Thinking of the poster on the wall, George Miller did that for Mad Max Fury Road. Maybe that's where Barlow learned it. The characters, even the cars had backstories, some that were adapted into great comics. But the rub is we weren't missing anything in Fury Road for a viewer to not understand its core characters like the Predators. Instead I was left confused by their actions/motivations. If Barlow can tighten his writing akin to Miller's, his stuff could be top shelf to me!  :)

Corporal Hicks

Completely disagree there. The comic didn't miss for not having the backstory. It would have been nice, it would have strengthened the thematic core, but it didn't cause any confusion for me. But you can hear us all argue the f**k with each other in the next episode of the podcast!  ;D

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed