Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 18, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood! (Read 114,953 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 24, 2019, 08:15:05 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 23, 2019, 11:54:12 PM
Man of Steel and Dark Knight have been synonymous with Superman and Batman - two characters vastly more popular than Alien or Predator - going back 70+ years.

You make an Alien or Predator without the monster name in the title, it's going to hurt your marketing.  Putting 'AvP' in it is going to hurt it too.  It was tainted from the outset with the 'versus' in there, and it's been tainted further with mediocre films.  I think the only thing that can save it is a low budget movie that blows everyone away.

Alien maybe able to get away with something like The Perfect Organism. Not sure Predator really has an equivalent? Ugly Motherf**ker?

But yeah, I completely agree regarding needing a fantastic low budget attempt. Personally, I think Alien should attempt something a little more low-key next time anyway.

In all seriousness "The Perfect Organism" sounds perfect to me for an Alien reboot. Alien fans will already know what it is, and to others, subconsciously it would come across new and fresh.

I think I'd go with "The Hunt" for Predator.

Wysps

Those sound appropriate to me!  I think it'd be much harder to come up with a title for AvP that represents both species.

Samhain13

Dickhead monster vs Pussyface hunter.

TheSailingRabbit

One thing that killed Bill Paxton vs. Another thing that killed Bill Paxton.

:P

Samhain13

Bill Paxton's killers fight. We gonna have to add a Terminator now.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 24, 2019, 05:18:10 PM
Bill Paxton's killers fight. We gonna have to add a Terminator now.

During a tornado.

happypred

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 24, 2019, 04:45:25 PM

How about just dick vs. pussy

Local Trouble

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: happypred on Sep 26, 2019, 04:57:35 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 24, 2019, 04:45:25 PM

How about just dick vs. pussy

See everyone? They are meant to fit together. To deny AVP is to deny the natural order of things.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 26, 2019, 05:29:55 PM
What, no asshole?

That would be like trying to cross AVP with yet another franchise.

Xenomrph

The Old One

The Old One

The title, the genre implication isn't great.
And the series hasn't had the best run, even the extension of the source material.

SpaceKase

Obviously, one's individual mileage may vary, but considering that this is a forum created for fans of the shared Aliens v. Predator universe now 30 years and running, I think its worth noting that there's a lot of awesome material out there to love. My personal favs are:

Aliens vs. Predator
   (the 1990 series itself,
   the 1989 short story preceding it, and
   the 1991 epilogue following up on it
)
Aliens vs. Predator II (Dark Horse Insider's 1992 original 14 installment short that later became War #0)
Aliens/Predator: Deadliest of the Species (At first take massive, insane, and bewildering, but once really dug into and analyzed, it turns out to be quite the remarkable world building epic. Probably provided the ground work for Joss Whedon's Dollhouse as well.)
Aliens vs. Predator: Blood Time
Aliens vs. Predator: Duel
Aliens vs. Predator: War (series proper)
Aliens vs. Predator: Eternal
Predator: Captive (lots of rad Alien 'verse background cameos ala the first and best Predator 2 easter egg)
Aliens vs. Predator: Annual #1
   Aliens vs. Predator: Hell-Bent
   Aliens vs. Predator: Pursuit
   Aliens vs. Predator: Lefty's Revenge
   Aliens vs. Predator: Chained to Life and Death
   Aliens vs. Predator: Old Secrets (way too short but provides a compelling addition to the lore with the creation of the Brotherhood of St George.)
Aliens vs. Predator: The Web
Alien vs. Predator: Thrill of the Hunt
Alien vs. Predator: Civilized Beasts
Aliens vs. Predator: Three World War
Alien vs. Predator: Fire and Stone (All the Ahab Bits)
Alien vs. Predator: Life and Death
The Rage War Trilogy by Tim Lebbon

As for the Games, there are many more I haven't even played so I can't comment upon, but some awesome iterations have been
Alien vs. Predator (1994 arcade)
Aliens versus Predator (2000, but lovingly enhanced and modded over the years making it even better)
Aliens versus Predator 2 / Primal Hunt
Predator: Concrete Jungle (2005, fully nested in the shared universe, I could care less about game mechanics, this story is wicked.)
Aliens vs. Predator (the 3rd in rebellion's series 2010)

And yes, even the 2004 film has it's Lovecraftian merits and strong lore elements, despite its sometimes cheesy execution, but when compared to all the awesome EU work, it sorta pales in comparison.

As I'm sure many will do, hate as you see fit. But personally, I love this stuff with very few exceptions. (::cough:: booty::cough)

If one doesn't believe there's any such thing as a good AvP story then... I guess I'm baffled as to why someone holding that opinion would waste time participating on this forum. But, if one genuinely is a fan of the AvP franchise, and not just someone trolling for lulz, then I'd be a lot more curious why one disagrees with accepting any or all of this arguably awesome series of stories.

If you're willing to play, and these selections aren't your thing, I'm curious what makes a good AvP story to you? Genuinely, sincerely, please tell. After all, that's what this entire forum was created for.

SM

Booty is way better than DOTS.

Nameless_1

I have two questions:

1. Why would the Preds board a luxury ship? What could possibly count as worthy prey on a ship full of rich vacationers?

2. Why would the kids mentioned in the summary need to fight the Yautja? Their established honor code keeps them from harming or hunting children. That was one of the primary reasons Dachande killed Tichinde. Are these going to be Bad Bloods?

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Oh man, I'm sorry you feel that way. Deadliest has a lot of remarkable aspects to it, if one takes the time to really decipher the story being told, and as I mentioned before a f*ckton of fantastic world-building. It's totally understandable how that could be overlooked thanks to its haphazard and confusing narrative and some pretty glaring internal omissions. I can't even imagine how batty and frustrating it must have been for readers slogging through the year and a half it took to publish the thing. Still, I'm really sorry you weren't able to get more out of it than you did. Although, assuming you're not just trolling, I'd be very curious what genuine merits you found in Booty, aside from the humorous title and the mostly ridiculous "Bone-nets".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed