BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 18, 2021, 06:09:52 PM
You have a brother ?

I do indeed.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 18, 2021, 06:23:58 PM
I assumed Predfans because you both act like killing aliens isn't really a challenge for them. Which begs the question of why they bother hunting them or why it's such a significant part of their culture in many depictions.

Yeah, it's kinda a paradox, I guess, it's not so much a numbers thing as a range of consequences hunting Aliens can led to which makes them thrilling prey. It's like playing with fire - you can put water on it but if you're not careful enough it can burn down your house

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I assumed Predfans because you both act like killing aliens isn't really a challenge for them. Which begs the question of why they bother hunting them or why it's such a significant part of their culture in many depictions.

I don't think being a fan of either matters if we try to look at it with an intellectual honesty as best as we can.

And of course killing Aliens is a challenge for Predators, much in due because Predators want it to be that way... much like some American hunters still today opt to hunt Bears with spears rather than guns (all much to my chagrin.) Generally speaking Predators are hunting the creatures, not at war with them. They seek the thrill of the hunt. Clearly we look at Predator space ships, their cloaking technology, plasma casters and their wrist equipped miniature atomic bombs and can assess if Predators were truly trying to kill versus hunt, they would have a much easier time of it, maybe even destroy a Xeno infested planet to boot!

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 18, 2021, 06:39:24 PM

Yeah, it's kinda a paradox, I guess, it's not so much a numbers thing as a range of consequences hunting Aliens can led to which makes them thrilling prey. It's like playing with fire - you can put water on it but if you're not careful enough it can burn down your house

That's a great assessment.

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

There's no indication Predators restrain their use of tech/weaponry for hunts. In some of the comics they have 'rules' like that but it only really limits their use of, like, one weapon. Which isn't matched by the movie depictions at all.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 18, 2021, 06:57:25 PM
There's no indication Predators restrain their use of tech/weaponry for hunts. In some of the comics they have 'rules' like that but it only really limits their use of, like, one weapon. Which isn't matched by the movie depictions at all.

This exactly.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I'd echo Trash Queen on the front of Predator civilisation too. We have no indication they have any kind of central government or ability to coordinate outside of the small groups we usually see them in. Also, we've seen that they're pretty prone to infighting between those groups, in both the movies and especially in the EU. Not sure that you can make the argument that they'd easily organise a wholesale extermination of the aliens since there's little indication they are numerous or unified enough to do so.

Perhaps not a civilization in the sense of political government, but since they can travel through space (and according to AVP millennia before us) I'd say that they must have a civilization of some kind. I mean, to make space vehicles you need: knowledge, academics, resources, engineers, government bodies (scientific, military, economic), science breakthroughs, etc.

But yes, this is pure speculation and the movies don't give us any details about it. It's not like it's a mistake of course, since these are stories about space hunters. The rest is not relevant to the plot; just for nerds like us and even so we have the EU to fill the gap  :laugh:

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

Yeah, it isn't shown. So it's equally possible they get their tech from an/other species, either through trade, theft, extortion or outright enslavement. In some ways that'd jive more with what we do see of their culture.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

More accurate to say you do require that stuff initially.
I have no doubt the Predators had a civilization but to say the Predators have a civilization's unsubstantiated. Especially if they are ancient warring nomadic tribes.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 18, 2021, 07:17:11 PM
I'd echo Trash Queen on the front of Predator civilisation too. We have no indication they have any kind of central government or ability to coordinate outside of the small groups we usually see them in. Also, we've seen that they're pretty prone to infighting between those groups, in both the movies and especially in the EU. Not sure that you can make the argument that they'd easily organise a wholesale extermination of the aliens since there's little indication they are numerous or unified enough to do so.

Perhaps not a civilization in the sense of political government, but since they can travel through space (and according to AVP millennia before us) I'd say that they must have a civilization of some kind. I mean, to make space vehicles you need: knowledge, academics, resources, engineers, government bodies (scientific, military, economic), science breakthroughs, etc.

But yes, this is pure speculation and the movies don't give us any details about it. It's not like it's a mistake of course, since these are stories about space hunters. The rest is not relevant to the plot; just for nerds like us and even so we have the EU to fill the gap  :laugh:

Guilty! :D

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 18, 2021, 07:04:04 PM
Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 18, 2021, 06:57:25 PM

This exactly.

We've learned through the Predator movies that they're into sport. Spears, knives, fist fights, discs, throwing stars, even a whip. So many of these are terribly inefficient weapons and more for the art of fighting and prowess and thrill versus efficiency. These are not warfare weapons or extermination tools.

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 18, 2021, 07:20:18 PM
Yeah, it isn't shown. So it's equally possible they get their tech from an/other species, either through trade, theft, extortion or outright enslavement. In some ways that'd jive more with what we do see of their culture.

Yet they know how to use it and capable to do so.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 18, 2021, 07:17:11 PM

Or you can hit a more advanced civilisation in the face, steal its tech and kill them all with it while they're slowed down figuring out what happened

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 18, 2021, 07:20:18 PM

^^^

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Predator conquer ~ I'm in Alien Theory mode!!!

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 18, 2021, 07:23:17 PM
We've learned through the Predator movies that they're into sport. Spears, knives, fist fights, discs, throwing stars, even a whip. So many of these are terribly inefficient weapons and more for the art of fighting and prowess and thrill versus efficiency. These are not warfare weapons or extermination tools.

True though this may be, when Predators are on missions that aren't traditional hunts, they use the same equipment, pretty much. Wolf wasn't hunting, yet he largely used the same arsenal. The preds in The Predator weren't hunting, yet they largely used the same arsenal. Maybe those are just the weapons they have access to?

QuoteYet they know how to use it and capable to do so.

This doesn't really have any relevance. You know how to access and use this forum, but you didnt design or develop it. Native Americans during colonial times picked up the use of guns pretty fast once they got access to them, but they never designed or built them themselves.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Maybe that's the reason for the differences in visual language, making the Lost Tribe make sense both in age and particularly in name being one of the last using the original Predator technology, so that explains all the alternate variations of Predator ships, the variety of Predator weapons and armor they have access to and, by extension their culture.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Maybe they are like Olympian space gods 💪🌞⚡

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed