Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 18, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood! (Read 113,426 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Do good AVP stories exist? Certainly, is the majority bad? Also yes, the original AVP is excellent, as is AVP Classic, Monolith's AVP, AVP Extinction and regardless of it's major issues I greatly enjoyed Concrete Jungle, but the most of the rest ranges from unbearable mediocrity to pure garbage.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Sep 27, 2019, 11:52:09 PM
Do good AVP stories exist? Certainly, is the majority bad? Also yes, the original AVP is excellent, as is AVP Classic, Monolith's AVP, AVP Extinction and regardless of it's major issues I greatly enjoyed Concrete Jungle, but the most of the rest ranges from unbearable mediocrity to pure garbage.

Ah! You're mostly talking about the video games. I'm not familiar with too many outside of the heavy narrative ones like AvP2, Concrete Jungle and AvP(3). I'm really curious what the less narrative games are like, although the original Capcom Arcade version will *Always* be legit. I was very stoked when Neca put out their figures, they were just perfect.

The Old One

The Old One

I've never encountered a perfect NECA figure, lol- and although I mostly mentioned them specifically, I'm talking everything.

SM

Quote from: SpaceKase on Sep 27, 2019, 11:47:19 PM
Oh man, I'm sorry you feel that way. Deadliest has a lot of remarkable aspects to it, if one takes the time to really decipher the story being told, and as I mentioned before a f*ckton of fantastic world-building. It's totally understandable how that could be overlooked thanks to its haphazard and confusing narrative and some pretty glaring internal omissions. I can't even imagine how batty and frustrating it must have been for readers slogging through the year and a half it took to publish the thing. Still, I'm really sorry you weren't able to get more out of it than you did. Although, assuming you're not just trolling, I'd be very curious what genuine merits you found in Booty, aside from the humorous title and the mostly ridiculous "Bone-nets".

Booty was just a bit of fun.

DOTS was - I honestly don't know what DOTS was.  Pretentious may be a little harsh, but it was often incredibly ridiculous.  I've read it several times trying to decipher it and it never gets any better.  I had to do a write up for it a few years ago and I had to fudge what I was writing towards the end because I couldn't make head or tail of the backstory.

Samhain13

Samhain13

DOTS will require a full podcast to breakdown.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Sep 28, 2019, 12:08:37 AMI had to do a write up for it a few years ago and I had to fudge what I was writing towards the end because I couldn't make head or tail of the backstory.

I'm still waiting for the video analysis.

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Sep 28, 2019, 12:08:37 AM
Oh man, I'm sorry you feel that way. Deadliest has a lot of remarkable aspects to it, if one takes the time to really decipher the story being told, and as I mentioned before a f*ckton of fantastic world-building. It's totally understandable how that could be overlooked thanks to its haphazard and confusing narrative and some pretty glaring internal omissions. I can't even imagine how batty and frustrating it must have been for readers slogging through the year and a half it took to publish the thing. Still, I'm really sorry you weren't able to get more out of it than you did. Although, assuming you're not just trolling, I'd be very curious what genuine merits you found in Booty, aside from the humorous title and the mostly ridiculous "Bone-nets".

DOTS was - I honestly don't know what DOTS was.  Pretentious may be a little harsh, but it was often incredibly ridiculous.  I've read it several times trying to decipher it and it never gets any better.  I had to do a write up for it a few years ago and I had to fudge what I was writing towards the end because I couldn't make head or tail of the backstory.

Oh snap! I love analyses, is it located here on the site? I'll have to check it out. I'd also love to read an interview some time with Diana Schutz or Chris Claremont about it if I can ever find any. And yeah, it was definitely written in an audacious time where they weren't afraid to take chances with the way a story can be told, which is the kind of diversity I've always loved most about the Alien series as a whole. And I'm not going to lie, it took some heavy reading and some chronological re-editing to finally suss out the mysteries on that one, kinda like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the first, (or first several) times you see it.

::Let's get down to brass tacks here, how much for the monkey?::

Samhain13

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 28, 2019, 12:21:19 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 28, 2019, 12:08:37 AMI had to do a write up for it a few years ago and I had to fudge what I was writing towards the end because I couldn't make head or tail of the backstory.

I'm still waiting for the video analysis.

Will it be part of the Alien Encounters series?

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Sep 28, 2019, 12:06:13 AM
I've never encountered a perfect NECA figure, lol- and although I mostly mentioned them specifically, I'm talking everything.

Aw really? I've never been able to purchase any of the figures, only ogled them in pictures, so I've never really experienced their tangible imperfections. They've always just seemed like gorgeously detailed sculpts in the vein of my old McFarland Movie Maniacs figs but with superior articulation and accessories. That's a shame they apparently don't hold up to scrutiny in real life.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 28, 2019, 12:17:09 AM
DOTS will require a full podcast to breakdown.

Dude. That's a podcast I would Love to participate in.

TheSailingRabbit

Annoy Hicks enough, and he'll let you on the podcast.

That's how I landed a future interview with Rolston.

;D

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: SpaceKase on Sep 28, 2019, 12:28:39 AM
Dude. That's a podcast I would Love to participate in.

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Sep 28, 2019, 12:39:19 AM
Annoy Hicks enough, and he'll let you on the podcast.

Start by making a Hicks appreciation thread. lol

SM

Quote from: SpaceKase on Sep 28, 2019, 12:22:58 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 28, 2019, 12:08:37 AM

Oh snap! I love analyses, is it located here on the site? I'll have to check it out. I'd also love to read an interview some time with Diana Schutz or Chris Claremont about it if I can ever find any. And yeah, it was definitely written in an audacious time where they weren't afraid to take chances with the way a story can be told, which is the kind of diversity I've always loved most about the Alien series as a whole. And I'm not going to lie, it took some heavy reading and some chronological re-editing to finally suss out the mysteries on that one, kinda like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the first, (or first several) times you see it.

::Let's get down to brass tacks here, how much for the monkey?::

It's not analyses - just a summary of the story - or so I misremembered.  It's actually just profiles of the characters.  When I got to the bit of explaining Caryn/ Ash's or Lucien's past, there was a certain amount of 'and then stuff happened'.

I will get around to a proper analyses on Youtube at some point.  It's some way off though.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Sep 27, 2019, 11:52:09 PMDo good AVP stories exist?

On the comic side, these range from OK to very good

Aliens vs. Predator
War
Duel
Blood Time
Annual (I think this is the one with Chained to Life and Death and the comic about the predator with a chest-burster inside him)
Eternal
Xenogenesis (barely as the art style is cartoony)
Fire & Stone
Life & Death
Civilised Beasts

The Old One

The Old One

I can't agree at all, a lot of what you listed is abysmal.

happypred

Can you be specific?

Oh, I think Booty is OK as well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed