ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 150,655 times)

Corporal Hicks

I imagine it'll just be stand-in art. I remember Alien - Original Sin's had an old Alien picture for their artwork when it was first found.

PRJ_since1990

Well I'm excited for something new. I don't tire of reading the old ones, but new is good. Even if it turns out crappy, the fact that something new is coming out, (and the franchise isn't dead after CM, even though to us it never will be) is a good sign. Needless to say, I'll pick up a copy when it releases.

I wonder how it will tie the first 2 films together. I know they have 50+ years of timeline to work in, but with Ripley out in her space freezer, and with the title being ALIEN, I can't see this as a "we're going to fiddle with the plot by waking her up mid-stasis" or a sequence of events with the colonists on LV-426 getting killed off by the Xeno that Newt's father would birth after they discover the derelict.

You know, I would actually love to see the original Big Chap somehow play a part in this story. As we know, he got blasted in to space by the Narcissus' rockets, but it wasn't confirmed if that killed him (which it probably didn't). From other EU stories, we know that Aliens can survive in the vacuum of space (including the Queen, after she gets dumped out of the Sulaco). Perhaps WY comes in contact with Chap and similar events unfold as they try to capture it and it runs free inside their ship, killing crew members off one by one.

What's your thoughts, community? 

locusta

Original Artwork of the cover done by Dan LuVisi and to be seen here: http://danluvisiart.deviantart.com/art/ALIENS-ALIEN-WARRIOR-84756543?q=favby%3Alocusta%2F6320190&qo=106

shadowedge

Oooh! Sounds awesome! Great find!

predxeno

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jun 01, 2013, 10:50:09 PM
Well I'm excited for something new. I don't tire of reading the old ones, but new is good. Even if it turns out crappy, the fact that something new is coming out, (and the franchise isn't dead after CM, even though to us it never will be) is a good sign. Needless to say, I'll pick up a copy when it releases.

I wonder how it will tie the first 2 films together. I know they have 50+ years of timeline to work in, but with Ripley out in her space freezer, and with the title being ALIEN, I can't see this as a "we're going to fiddle with the plot by waking her up mid-stasis" or a sequence of events with the colonists on LV-426 getting killed off by the Xeno that Newt's father would birth after they discover the derelict.

You know, I would actually love to see the original Big Chap somehow play a part in this story. As we know, he got blasted in to space by the Narcissus' rockets, but it wasn't confirmed if that killed him (which it probably didn't). From other EU stories, we know that Aliens can survive in the vacuum of space (including the Queen, after she gets dumped out of the Sulaco). Perhaps WY comes in contact with Chap and similar events unfold as they try to capture it and it runs free inside their ship, killing crew members off one by one.

What's your thoughts, community?

These are some good ideas; I wonder if we'll see more of Ripley's character, it would be nice to get to know her a bit more outside the films.

Mr. Clemens

Preordered. I don't even care if it sucks... I'm in the mood for something new, and that time period is ripe for the plucking. Plus, the price is right.  :P

I'd like to see them explore more of the daily life of 'regular folks' in that time period (i.e., no marines), and one or two tie-ins to Prometheus would be fun, as well (yeah, I said it!  :D).

Corporal Hicks

People should care if it sucks. Im sick to death of getting fed crap. I'm hoping for a good book. The Dark Horse ones mostly missed the mark imho.

Kimarhi

I'm guessing it has more to do with WY's search for Alien life post Alien and Pre Aliens more than it has to do with Ripley.

They probably go into detail about the post alien coverup if they lost another team after Ripley's crew is killed, and they'll probably try to explain away Burke's motives as being somehow related to a bigger conspiracy to bring the Alien back into the fold.

Cvalda

Maybe it'll try and fill the gaping plot hole about Weyland-Yutani not finding the giant honking alien derelict when they terraform LV-426.

Jay Thomas

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jun 01, 2013, 10:50:09 PM
From other EU stories, we know that Aliens can survive in the vacuum of space (including the Queen, after she gets dumped out of the Sulaco).

Was the queen from Aliens featured in an EU Story? I can't remember. Do you remember which one?

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 02, 2013, 12:07:11 AM
People should care if it sucks.

Oh, they certainly should! But after the novels I read in the early 90s set the bar so low, I'll be happy with average.  :D

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 02, 2013, 12:45:54 AM
Maybe it'll try and fill the gaping plot hole about Weyland-Yutani not finding the giant honking alien derelict when they terraform LV-426.

I thought Weyland-Yutani knew about the derelict and that's why they colonized LV-426. Colonists, expendable.

SiL

SiL

Expendable for what? Hadley's Hope didn't seem at all set up as any kind of research facility.

"Let's put some people next to this dangerous thing!"

"Why?"

"... expendable!"

Jay Thomas

Expendable for the purpose of breding a bunch of aliens.

I have a harder time believing WY just accidentally colonized LV -426, seeing as they sent the Nostromo there *because* of the derelict.

As for research, at the very least they had equipment for storing facehuggers.

SiL

SiL

Breeding them in a completely uncontrolled environment?

They had equipment which they ended up using to store huggers, but they weren't designed for them.

If they wanted to exploit the derelict, waiting 57 years and setting up a colony full of collateral damage was a really, really dumb way of going about it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed