Help with ASH Alien prequel comic

Started by Hyperdyne120-a2, Jun 30, 2017, 02:04:00 AM

Author
Help with ASH Alien prequel comic (Read 3,489 times)

Hyperdyne120-a2

I've wanted to illustrate a short graphic novel revolving around Ash, the days leading up to his assignment to the Nostromo. There's an awful lot of empty space to be populated in his story, since he barely appears in anything in the expanded universe, before or after the events of Alien. Trouble is, I'm hitting a road block story wise! Here's what I'm looking for in a story:

-Short story. Focuses on 1 week-1 month prior to his assignment to Nostromo.

-I'm open to the idea of WY choosing Ash out of a small number of qualified synthetic volunteers, re-programming him with special order 937 just before he ships out, almost as a dramatic, ultimate sacrifice type situation...but I'm not sure how to motivate his character to do this. He could possibly be going into the order blind, since it is a classified special order, which could end the story with him being hopeful about his future with the company or something...

-Drama!! I want to make this more of a drama centered around Ash. The xenomorph will be mentioned, and may make a brief appearance, for example if Ash knows about his orders well in advance and in detail, he could view them on a readout or something. I don't know, but they won't be present in the story. I want to make it a dramatic story. I'm open to Ash becoming a tragic figure, or something even more sinister than he appears. I want to expose new layers of the character but I thought I'd see what people might come up with.

Anyhow I'll be happy to recieve some input, ideas, etc and discuss! I'm new to the forum so hello!!

D. Compton Ambrose

If you lean it more towards horror I may be able to help...

FenGiddel

It seems that you have sketched out some interesting plot lines already. I'm sure things will develop in the writing of it.  I had that experience writing some shorts based on Alien: Isolation last year.  Good luck!  Have fun. And welcome!

Hyperdyne120-a2

Thanks for your input-

@ LCpl. D. Grant
Yeah, I'm not opposed to it being scary, ominous, etc but since it's a short story I'm not thinking full on horror, with Ash walking around choking people he doesn't like with newspapers, or having battled the alien previously. Haha I'm thinking more a plot line that serves to refocus the events of the film; give his character new perspective when rewatching it.

@FenGiddel 
Thanks very much! Naturally the moment I posted this topic, ideas started flowing. Thanks for your encouraging words- I'm more of an illustrator than a writer so it's an uphill battle haha

FenGiddel

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to work together on this.

SM

SM

I think you should avoid Ash be 'programmed'.  It's a bit of a cliché.  Simply have him follow the Special Order he's given.

As for the story, The Company has translated the signal - but you should avoid revealing exactly what it's content is.  They just want to make sure the signal is investigated and anything that might be there brought back to Earth.  The simplest way to tell the story is Ash/ The Company have to get onto the Nostromo and some person or outside force is standing in the way.  Maybe the former science officer objects because he needs to get home.  Maybe Dallas objects.  Maybe it's something else.

Alternately do a character study.  What Ash's thought processes are regarding his mission, does he have a reaction to his orders, how does he react to the other crew members, how do they react to him, does his model's twitchiness come into play, etc.

Stories involving the characters from Alien films, outside the films can be difficult.  It's not like Star Wars where you have the constant backdrop of war and can include stormtroopers and X-Wings and all sorts of stuff, and characters actually survive the film.  In Alien it's extremely hard to include the Alien outside the films.

This could be very interesting.

FenGiddel

Dallas did ship out five times with the other SO, so I think there'd be fodder there for conflict over the reassignment of Ash.

Hyperdyne120-a2

Great input everyone- I generated a concept concerning both Ash's model's 'twitchiness' and the previous science officer. Agreed, about the difficulty in pursuing characters beyond their film roles...but I think there's a story to be told with Ash. 'There is an explanation for this you know...'

Futurepig

Here is an idea...

From the beggining of Aline it is obvious that Parker hates Ash for some reason. He tells him to get out of his chair and then he cleans up the chair as is something filthy had been there. Even before the creature appears we see Parker doesn't trusts Ash.

My personal theory is that the original Sicence Officer that was replaced at the last minute by Ash was a female crewmember who had a relationship with Parker. Of course Parker is pissed that his girlfriend was left behind and not knowing about the "special order" behind the switch he suspects it was just Ash trying to advance possitions in the company, which explains his animosity.

Maybe Ash and Parker had a previous fight before embarking in the Nostromo?

I don't know if that could be used as part of the background story...

FenGiddel

Now there's a great hook. Nice thinking, there, Futurepig!  ;D

TC

TC

@Futurepig

Ha ha. I like.

I'm writing a fanfic thing that (partly) addresses the goings on at Thedus before departure.

I have Ash and Weyland-Yutani actually abduct the original science officer. When he is a no-show at the assigned departure date, Dallas reports him as AWOL and WY assign Ash in his place.

You're welcome to use that if you like (although I will too).

As for the reason why they go so far as to kidnap him, and what the real science officer does afterwards, I'm keeping to myself  :)

TC

The Snipes

Hey OP, if you are making a Graphic Novel you should update Global AVP on it. They publish fan work on their main website and it helps with getting more viewers. Send them an email at contact@globalavp.com or just join their forums which is probably the easier option at hub.globalavp.com .

I like Graphic novels, will Ash be kind of like David when David becomes sentient?

FenGiddel

Seem appropriate to (necro)post here, since "here" is where it all started a little over a year ago (for me, at least)...

A minute with Michael, and ASH - A Fan Fiction Comic.

Huggs

Huggs

I always thought Ash killed the person he replaced. If the previous science officer was one of the regular crew, and a friend, they might get alittle pissed about being re-assigned. And there was no reason given to Dallas, judging by the nostromo logs. So the company did what it had to do, and kept it quiet. Not to mention this theory means they were spending time with this thing that killed their friend and colleague.

SiL

SiL

Ripley and Ash boarded the Nostromo at the same time. It's normal to rotate crew, so there'd be no reason to murder anybody to put Ash on board.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed