The Predator Teaser Trailer Now Online!

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 10, 2018, 01:00:32 PM

Author
The Predator Teaser Trailer Now Online! (Read 115,826 times)

CelticP

The problem is they over do the facial movements which creates that odd flappy mandible effect. The one in the first movie has fairly limited movement but pulled off a ton of emotion with just that. It doesn't need to be all that expressive.

Master

Quote from: Huggs on May 16, 2018, 09:51:56 PM
The mandibles were an issue?
Mandibles were stiff and had minimal movement. All preds, had always opened mouth, which was especially noticable on the classic. Many small things, like detaching air hoses to remove the mask, were completely forgotten.

OpenMaw

Quote from: D88M on May 17, 2018, 03:59:25 AM
True, in AVP, AVPR and Predators they all looked awful, i know Winstons was the master of his craft, but it is really THAT difficult to make a decent Predator? It has been more than 20 years from the first one!

It's really not. I have seen cosplayers pull off more convincing faces than the ADI guys have at this point. That's not hyperbole either, i'm being totally serious.

Quote from: Master on May 17, 2018, 06:40:23 AM
Mandibles were stiff and had minimal movement. All preds, had always opened mouth, which was especially noticable on the classic. Many small things, like detaching air hoses to remove the mask, were completely forgotten.

Those little details are what made the original as compelling as it was. Even if some of it was done on the fly or done to hold the suit together in various ways, those bits of detail gave the thing a sense of reality that later incarnations just seem to ignore.

I was just watching a clip from Tremors. When they kill the first one against that concrete wall. There's that bit where Kevin Bacon finds the tail end of the thing and they have it all dug out. Scenes like that really help to sell the reality of a fictional creature. They're giving the impression of it being an actual living thing.

dallevalle

dallevalle

Quote from: Scorpio on May 17, 2018, 03:04:16 AM

Quote from: dallevalle on May 16, 2018, 04:46:37 PM

That is quality work.  I'm being serious.  Say what you will about the design, but the animatronics are awesome.

no freaking way this is good animatronics. ( scar looks like he was dropped as a babie.)

now this is what you call amazing animatronics and creature design.

The Wolverine Predator

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

goose_3387

Quote from: dallevalle on May 17, 2018, 11:34:34 AM

That is quality work.  I'm being serious.  Say what you will about the design, but the animatronics are awesome.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d6/04/ec/d604ecaffad34bc5b57e2c4ac0d0225b.gif
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpartialBonyDunlin-size_restricted.gif

no freaking way this is good animatronics. ( scar looks like he was dropped as a babie.)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/99/6f/08/996f082b7112c3d9eef991320d6e6fd0.gif
https://78.media.tumblr.com/3ab7516e3eaa79a11367a3fedcc516b6/tumblr_nl7pj5D1nC1u1vwpho2_500.gif

It's crazy how 31 years later no-one has been able to equal the mandibles as seen on the original. It looks like a real life alien still to this day.

A closed mouth and fully functioning mandibles are the most important parts of what makes the Predator look so real.

dallevalle

Quote from: goose_3387 on May 17, 2018, 12:25:30 PM
Quote from: dallevalle on May 17, 2018, 11:34:34 AM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d6/04/ec/d604ecaffad34bc5b57e2c4ac0d0225b.gif
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpartialBonyDunlin-size_restricted.gif

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/99/6f/08/996f082b7112c3d9eef991320d6e6fd0.gif
https://78.media.tumblr.com/3ab7516e3eaa79a11367a3fedcc516b6/tumblr_nl7pj5D1nC1u1vwpho2_500.gif

It's crazy how 31 years later no-one has been able to equal the mandibles as seen on the original. It looks like a real life alien still to this day.

A closed mouth and fully functioning mandibles are the most important parts of what makes the Predator look so real.

i know right and like sil said earlier the predator in the first movie was a rush job so that's even more insane.

OpenMaw

I think that's part of what helped with the original creature design. Those guys were young, hungry, and full of passion and panic. The mantra "make it work, make it work, make it work!" Very clearly surrounded them.

Again, just looking at the images there you can see that the eyes, the skin tones/texture, and the shape are all wrong. Not that they have to be identical, but they're wrong in the sense that they don't convey a believable creature. It looks like an animatronic mask.

The original does not. The eyes are probably the worst part. Makes him look like a puppy dog instead of a Predator.

dallevalle

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 17, 2018, 12:49:18 PM
I think that's part of what helped with the original creature design. Those guys were young, hungry, and full of passion and panic. The mantra "make it work, make it work, make it work!" Very clearly surrounded them.

Again, just looking at the images there you can see that the eyes, the skin tones/texture, and the shape are all wrong. Not that they have to be identical, but they're wrong in the sense that they don't convey a believable creature. It looks like an animatronic mask.

The original does not. The eyes are probably the worst part. Makes him look like a puppy dog instead of a Predator.

that's what happends when you get human dna xDDDDD

Original Predator

Do they not have the Winston stuff "lying around"?  These are props and costumes and such, ultimately, why not just rebuild or even use those?  Agree, part of the problem has been the toy-pred looking Preds vs. actual creepy/scary looking preds, another aspect that's fallen short in the "after" movies.

Also, being that this is the trailer release thread.  Is this the assumed trailer to be used in DP2?  (asked earlier but the "mandible turn occurred")

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Original Predator on May 17, 2018, 02:25:58 PM
Also, being that this is the trailer release thread.  Is this the assumed trailer to be used in DP2?  (asked earlier but the "mandible turn occurred")

I believe so. Not confirmed, though.

Johnny Handsome

We'll see, Deadpool is hard R so it's possible they show the Cinemacon trailer, which was reportedly much bloodier and had some f-bombs.

azamultic

OpenMaw I do love Winston job more than ADI's on the predator. But I really do think people exaggerating theirs statements and also being bias.
  Winston team did everything really fast, they didn't have much time(how you said earlier) and they just improvised all around. It was amazing, but I think the reason why Original Predator looks amazing it's because of the Director John McT did amazing job showing us the creature.
  Director is the main thing, look and Straus brothers, even though Steve Wang worked for them predator it self was still meeeeeeh.
  Also ADI guys did work for Stan and they know how to do prostetics, and know how Winston used to work, so it's not that their skill level is low, but the thing that director can't show it properly.
  I don't like the predator face from avp 2004 I agree with that, but I do think the technology of animatronics is much better, just from logical point of view. Because in original animatronics of the face did man who never did this mandibles before and he told that mandibles weren't perfect there.
"just looking at the images there you can see that the eyes, the skin tones/texture, and the shape are all wrong. Not that they have to be identical, but they're wrong in the sense that they don't convey a believable creature." that is the work of director, even original costums going to look terrible with off lighting and bad camera work. So i do think people being less technical and too opiniated. and it's hard to judge the lighting and camera work from this  promo shots.

Original Predator

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on May 17, 2018, 02:39:24 PM
We'll see, Deadpool is hard R so it's possible they show the Cinemacon trailer, which was reportedly much bloodier and had some f-bombs.

Hope so I don't think this trailer would serve it well. 

Would love to see that trailer too!

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on May 17, 2018, 02:39:24 PM

Yeah the part where Sterling K Borwn asks Olivia Munn where she learned to use a gun and she replies in America was missing too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed