Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 02, 2017, 10:49:37 PM

Author
Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally. (Read 103,932 times)

Johnny Handsome

QuoteScott: I think the Beast is almost run out
Then just step the hell back and let someone who still has a passion for this franchise and creature, direct a movie fans really want to see and deserve. Then maybe people don't have to go through philosophical bullshit and Alien-Puking androids with a Wagner-fetish. This is some high quality Strause-Level bullshit.

Canceling the Alien for the next one and bringing in new (yet lame) creatures won't make the movie any better if your story is shit from the start. If you don't have trust in the creature (which is the core of the franchise) then why make a sequel/prequel? Make something new, but i understand... you can't cash in on the fans then. They don't even have a point up until now, we still don't know how the derelict got there.

I thought Covenant was a step into the right direction for the franchise, going back to the horror elements that were sorely missed from Prometheus, but having seen two big budget movies now i think Alien works better in smaller yet more powerful and inventive films.

I think they should really just totally reboot the franchise, set it after all the Alien films with brand new characters (No Ripley clones please), you can have the classic Alien and new creatures and make it all much more interesting.

Bojo

Hardly surprised by this news from Ridley.

If you listen to his commentary of A:Covenant you get a very strong sense of someone who's just going through motions,which is a big contrast to his Prometheus commentary where his enthusiam for the film was strongly evident.

bleau

Quote from: Bojo on Nov 15, 2017, 04:45:47 PM

If you listen to his commentary of A:Covenant you get a very strong sense of someone who's just going through motions,which is a big contrast to his Prometheus commentary where his enthusiam for the film was strongly evident.

It definitely seems so. Scott even mentions "well I was right after all" or something to that extant, like he was indeed against having Aliens in it. I can see the producers forcing creative control of Alien Covenant.

0321recon

Quote from: bleau on Nov 15, 2017, 07:08:32 PM
Quote from: Bojo on Nov 15, 2017, 04:45:47 PM

It definitely seems so. Scott even mentions "well I was right after all" or something to that extant, like he was indeed against having Aliens in it. I can see the producers forcing creative control of Alien Covenant.

I could see the producers being the ones who forced Ridley to cut out Noomi from the film sans the few seconds of screen time of her disemboweled corpse  :'(

Were lucky that at least we got to see the bombing sequence.

Alionic

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Nov 15, 2017, 02:59:34 PM
QuoteScott: I think the Beast is almost run out
Then just step the hell back and let someone who still has a passion for this franchise and creature, direct a movie fans really want to see and deserve. Then maybe people don't have to go through philosophical bullshit and Alien-Puking androids with a Wagner-fetish. This is some high quality Strause-Level bullshit.

How can facehuggers, chestbursters, and xenos be scary again after we already know how each one of these kill people?

Rudiger

Quote from: Alionic on Nov 15, 2017, 10:11:15 PM
How can facehuggers, chestbursters, and xenos be scary again after we already know how each one of these kill people?

Oh that's easy. Write decent characters that the audience actually cares about.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 15, 2017, 10:20:46 PMOh that's easy. Write decent characters that the audience actually cares about.

So decent characters make a movie scary?
Imo it's more about the threat(s) and how it's presented.

Rudiger

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Nov 15, 2017, 10:55:45 PM
Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 15, 2017, 10:20:46 PMOh that's easy. Write decent characters that the audience actually cares about.

So decent characters make a movie scary?
Imo it's more about the threat(s) and how it's presented.

Of course.

Alionic

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 15, 2017, 10:20:46 PM

...but we already know what eggs, facehuggers, chestbursters, and xenos do? How do 'decent characters' change this?

Paranoid Android

How can a man with a knife be scary? We knew what men with knives did since before the invention of cinema.

Alionic

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 16, 2017, 04:18:05 AM
How can a man with a knife be scary? We knew what men with knives did since before the invention of cinema.

Men with knives aren't fictional creatures, dummy.

Paranoid Android

Everything in film is fictional. Even men with knives.

So how are men with knives scary if we know what they do?

tleilaxu

Quote from: Alionic on Nov 16, 2017, 04:04:17 AM
Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 15, 2017, 10:20:46 PM

...but we already know what eggs, facehuggers, chestbursters, and xenos do? How do 'decent characters' change this?
Because you form an emotional attachment and feel bad when they're killed, or abducted like Newt was in Aliens, but then later when she's saved and all the bad monsters are dead you feel happy because the "decent characters" are alive and well. Then as the movie ends you sit up and clap until your hands are sore.
Or some bullshit like that.

Highland

Well it's not scary mostly because it's about David. The Alien even in Covenant is just a sideshow. The only genuinely scary(ish) part is in the hanger which just unfolds exactly as Daniels already planned. The first half of the movie not involving David is better. The backburster scene is very good, spoiled only by the trailer.

Rudiger

Quote from: tleilaxu on Nov 16, 2017, 06:16:30 AM
Because you form an emotional attachment and feel bad when they're killed, or abducted like Newt was in Aliens, but then later when she's saved and all the bad monsters are dead you feel happy because the "decent characters" are alive and well. Then as the movie ends you sit up and clap until your hands are sore.
Or some bullshit like that.

Good to see that your dislike of Aliens doesn't get in the way of at least understanding why the film is so effective.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed