Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 02, 2017, 10:49:37 PM

Author
Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally. (Read 103,896 times)

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: BonesawT101 on Nov 14, 2017, 08:51:19 PM
Gareth edwards would be a GREAT choice for a sequel/reboot!

I could see him definitely being able to depict the Alien in proper terrifying fashion once more.

Were the monsters in "Godzilla" at all terrifying? I didn't think so.
Was it a good thing that Bryan Cranston's character was killed off early in that film? Not to me. (I know that Edwards is not the writer but still, why not ask for a rewrite when there is such a clear character mistake.)
- Anyway, I'm not the only one who was meh about "Godzilla". It has a 6.4/10 rating on IMDb.
That's lower than "Alien: Covenant" and "Prometheus".
- Considering all that, I can't agree with switching to Edwards away from Ridley if another Alien film is approved next year by Fox.

PS. Now to Star Wars, "Godzilla" is rated lower on IMDb than any of the prequels.
- As for "Rogue One", Star Wars now has the help of Disney's massive teams of talented people who are putting the new movies together. It would be very hard for any director to screw that up.
- I don't count "Rogue One" as a predictor of how well Edwards would do with an Alien film.
"Godzilla" and Alien are outside the Disney machine. "Godzilla" is the better measure of what Edwards would do with Alien.

(And if anyone wants to go back to Blomkamp, fine, I'd gladly compare the portrayal of an AI robot/android between Chappie and David.)

;)

tleilaxu

Quote from: bb-15 on Nov 15, 2017, 02:10:10 AM
Quote from: BonesawT101 on Nov 14, 2017, 08:51:19 PM
Gareth edwards would be a GREAT choice for a sequel/reboot!

I could see him definitely being able to depict the Alien in proper terrifying fashion once more.

Were the monsters in "Godzilla" at all terrifying? I didn't think so.
Was it a good thing that Bryan Cranston's character was killed off early in that film? Not to me. (I know that Edwards is not the writer but still, why not ask for a rewrite when there is such a clear character mistake.)
- Anyway, I'm not the only one who was meh about "Godzilla". It has a 6.4/10 rating on IMDb.
That's lower than "Alien: Covenant" and "Prometheus".
- Considering all that, I can't agree with switching to Edwards away from Ridley if another Alien film is approved next year by Fox.

PS. Now to Star Wars, "Godzilla" is rated lower on IMDb than any of the prequels.
- As for "Rogue One", Star Wars now has the help of Disney's massive teams of talented people who are putting the new movies together. It would be very hard for any director to screw that up.
- I don't count "Rogue One" as a predictor of how well Edwards would do with an Alien film.
"Godzilla" and Alien are outside the Disney machine. "Godzilla" is the better measure of what Edwards would do with Alien.

(And if anyone wants to go back to Blomkamp, fine, I'd gladly compare the portrayal of an AI robot/android between Chappie and David.)

;)
Godzilla sucked. Shin Gorija on the other hand, with its creativity and innovation, was awesome.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Before Godzilla was released i would have definitely considered Gareth Edwards. Godzilla teaser trailer was really something, it sucks that the final movie was nothing like that  :'(  What a massive dissapointment! In it's defense, it's not as bad as Kong but not much better either.
Rogue One is a mindless 2hr videogame cutscene with some cool visuals but extremely lousy story full of plotholes and videogame cardboard NPC characters, i personally found it extremely boring as well. Lots of people seem to love it, but it's objectively bad in many areas as far as filmmaking go.   

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 15, 2017, 01:49:31 AM
Then how do you portray an alien on film?

Have them being manhandled by a predator, maybe?

Flail around and squeal alot?

I would like/want the exact opposite of the Alien in Covenant ;D

I do have a soft spot for the first two AvP games, especially AvP 1999 but I don't care about AvP films at all, i don't know anyone who does. If Gareth Edwards wanted to have go with Alien, Id let him do AvP film but he should definitely steer well clear from an actual Alien movie. He shouldn't do worse than Paul W.S Anderson. The sad thing about AvP is, it did xenomorph better than the Covenant and is more enjoyable movie overall. I really hated AvP at first but i now find it to be passable, as far as (noncanon) spinoffs go.

Baron Von Marlon

I'd really like to see the director/writer from Bone Tomahawk and Brawl In Cell Block 99 try an Alien movie.
Both movies are a little slow but not boring, deliver some good violence in the right way and are made on smaller budgets.
Seems right for the job, no?

KiramidHead

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Nov 15, 2017, 03:39:32 AM
I'd really like to see the director/writer from Bone Tomahawk and Brawl In Cell Block 99 try an Alien movie.
Both movies are a little slow but not boring, deliver some good violence in the right way and are made on smaller budgets.

And he's not averse to franchise films, as he wrote one of the upcoming Puppet Master films, as well as an unproduced Robotech script.

reecebomb

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Nov 15, 2017, 03:39:32 AM

Bone Tomahawk was a pretty good self aware B-Movie, liked it. The premise was delightfully straightforward, the characters were very good and the horror/gore was quite tastefully done yet brutal and effective. Perhaps Craig Zahler could make it work, haven't seen Cell Block 99.

Alionic

Bone Tomahawk had the most viscerally gruesome death scene on film in the 21st century.

Baron Von Marlon

If you like Bone Tomahawk, chances are big you'll like Brawl In Cell Block 99 too.

Jonesy1974

Bone Tomahawk was great. Zahler would be perfect for an Alien movie, once Ridley has finished his story first of course.

Rudiger

I've read Wraiths of the Broken Land and Mean Business on North Ganson Street, both of which are great, and am about to start Corpus Chrome, Inc. Copies of A Congregation of Jackals seem to be as rare as rocking horse droppings, which is a shame.

Next up for Zahler is Dragged Across Concrete, with Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn, plus others from Brawl...

And let's hope that Ridley Scott doesn't screw up Wraiths... If done right, it should be the stuff of nightmares.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 15, 2017, 01:38:25 PM
I've read Wraiths of the Broken Land and Mean Business on North Ganson Street, both of which are great, and am about to start Corpus Chrome, Inc. Copies of A Congregation of Jackals seem to be as rare as rocking horse droppings, which is a shame.

Next up for Zahler is Dragged Across Concrete, with Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn, plus others from Brawl...

And let's hope that Ridley Scott doesn't screw up Wraiths... If done right, it should be the stuff of nightmares.

I fancy trying his books, which one would you recommend to start with, Wraiths?

Rudiger

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Nov 15, 2017, 01:48:38 PM

What are you in the mood for? Wraiths is a western, and follows a rag-tag family searching for their sisters who have been kidnapped and forced into prostitution. Mean Business is a present-day story about a disgraced detective investigating a series of cop killings. They are both really good. He writes really good characters and dialogue (not overly "showy" like, say, Tarantino), and everything zips along. His books are also clearly written with the big screen in mind. Of the two I preferred Mean Business.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 15, 2017, 02:08:58 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Nov 15, 2017, 01:48:38 PM

What are you in the mood for? Wraiths is a western, and follows a rag-tag family searching for their sisters who have been kidnapped and forced into prostitution. Mean Business is a present-day story about a disgraced detective investigating a series of cop killings. They are both really good. He writes really good characters and dialogue (not overly "showy" like, say, Tarantino), and everything zips along. His books are also clearly written with the big screen in mind. Of the two I preferred Mean Business.

I've never read a western before and I'm not sure if I'll like it but then it is described as being like a horror so that intrigues me. Would you view it as horror?

Rudiger

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Nov 15, 2017, 02:15:22 PM
I've never read a western before and I'm not sure if I'll like it but then it is described as being like a horror so that intrigues me. Would you view it as horror?

It's quite similar in structure to Bone Tomahawk, in that a big chunk of the book is about the journey towards confrontation. However, the villain of the piece isn't anything like the cannibal troglodytes. He's very much human. A really nasty piece of work with a particularly horrifying technique when it comes to torture. It's definietly horrific in places, but it's not a horror story.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 15, 2017, 02:40:59 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Nov 15, 2017, 02:15:22 PM

It's quite similar in structure to Bone Tomahawk, in that a big chunk of the book is about the journey towards confrontation. However, the villain of the piece isn't anything like the cannibal troglodytes. He's very much human. A really nasty piece of work with a particularly horrifying technique when it comes to torture. It's definietly horrific in places, but it's not a horror story.

Ok cheers, that's helpful to know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed