New Footage Shown at CinemaCon!

Started by Anthony, Mar 30, 2017, 06:10:52 PM

Author
New Footage Shown at CinemaCon! (Read 49,232 times)

Horshu

Horshu

I think/hope you're on to something. Maybe this is the planet from the beginning of Prometheus (instead of Earth or some rando planet/moon), which is why the inhabitants aren't actually Engineers (my other thought on that is that Ridley didn't want to create hundreds of 10' corpses, since it's easier to make molds from actual people, but I want a storyline reason)

The_Foxcatcher

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Mar 31, 2017, 06:25:57 PM
Quote from: rabidranger on Mar 31, 2017, 06:23:18 PM
Quote from: The_Foxcatcher on Mar 31, 2017, 04:38:36 PM
Quote from: rabidranger on Mar 31, 2017, 03:06:19 PM
Quote from: The_Foxcatcher on Mar 31, 2017, 01:41:07 PM
Quote from: Cavalorn on Mar 31, 2017, 01:22:58 PM
Oh crikey this is exciting. Taps right into the whole religious theme that began with Prometheus, but not in the sucky way I'd feared.

And it adds some serious context to the word 'Covenant', too.

Spoiler

Much like the Biblical myth of the flood, David destroys the engineers in a deluge. But instead of a rain of water, it's a rain of black goo. And instead of God setting his rainbow arch in the sky as a sign, we've got the crescent-shaped Juggernaut.

"The gods have rejected mankind as cruel, weak and full of greed... they are a dying species, grasping for resurrection."

I'll just add that to the mountain of blatant Space Jesus references...
[close]

Looks like such a cheap cop-out!

I mean David simply bombs them for what? It was clear by the end of Prometheus that Shaw wanted to know the 'why' answer. She went to learn more. Not to kill the Engineers. And why would David want to kill the Engineers, if it was his sole decision? He is least bothered to save humans on Earth. He was curious robot and wanted to learn and understand the Engineers universe. He was enjoying so much in exploring the juggernaut, hologram recordings, understanding and decoding their language etc. Why would he want to destroy them and all and choose to live alone just to create demons out of the black goo? All alone!

It's way out of the characters of David and Shaw. Can't digest it!

How is this out of character for David? While he demonstrated admiration for the Engineer tech he seemed to have a degree of contempt for both the Engineers and humanity.

Quote from: Rudiger on Mar 31, 2017, 02:56:03 PM
Can't say I'm overly excited.

For me, two of the greatest things about Alien were the alien itself (and the way it was shot), and the whole mystery surrounding the space jockey and all those damn eggs. Both were so "other worldly"...apart from the final man-in-suit shot. I'm finding that the more things are explained, the less interesting they have become.

After Aliens, the law of diminishing returns most definitely applies. Cameron delivered the perfect sequel, and I wish it had ended there. Nothing since has been anywhere near as good, IMHO of course.

Oh well.

So, you don't want any answers or just don't like the answers we're getting?

Oh really?

What makes you think he had a degree of contempt towards both humans and the engineers?

Just because he experimented on Holloway who always acted as a disrespectful dick to David or just because one mad engineer ripped his head off?

Does that make David simply blow off the whole engineer civilization without even exchanging a dialog with them?

Well, you have certainly provided more evidence for my position than yours. It's clear that David is in God-mode. Humanity isn't worthy and the Engineers as their creators aren't worthy either. This is an exercise by David to create something greater than both.

Plus David's "mortal afterall" quote in Prometheus when the Engineer's head explodes helps give us a glimpse at a slight disappointment in him about them.

And when Holloway says how they're going to ask the Engineers why they made us, he turns it around and says "why did you make me?", already viewing Engineers and humans as literally the same thing. Neither superior than the other.

What an utter rabid fan-fiction thing is to claim that David hates humans and the Engineers!

"Mortal, after all!" = David finds the Engineers not worthy = Hate them = Kill them

Wow!

::)

fernandito

Quote from: SiL on Apr 01, 2017, 07:16:42 AMMan, don't be a dick about it :-\
Come on man, you know they have to respect them bed time mark

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: SiL on Apr 01, 2017, 06:23:36 AM
Quote from: Denton Smalls on Apr 01, 2017, 12:47:57 AM
Because there isn't one. You don't market a theatrical release showing extensive footage that will end up on the cutting room floor and on the Blu Ray.
The first trailer of Rogue One [in]famously features almost no footage from the final film in it, outside of some effects shots.

Alien has a giant floating egg that's nowhere in the movie.

Predators has Royce covered in targeting lasers, despite only one appearing in the final film.

Etc.

I wouldn't compare those things to the scene with David and Engineers because that particular scene wasn't part of the trailer. It isn't something small (floating egg or Royce covered in lasers). It was a proper scene from the movie. Very expensive scene.

Hemi

Hemi

Quotessshhh quiet kid, and listen to the ones who really know how this actually works:

"Shhh little baby, wait untill you see the fcking movie untill you condemn it." See, anyone can be condescending.

Have a little respect for a constructive conversation. This isn't IMDB, and if you want this to be your new home discussing these movies show some respect for fellow forum members. He's stating fact; You are judging a clip and an entire movie before you even see it. Not that smart if you ask me...  :-\ 

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: newagescamartist on Apr 01, 2017, 03:36:10 AM
It's silly to think this won't be in the movie. This close to release they're showing some of their cards to build hype ( and it's working ). They aren't going to preview huge narrative sections like this to just remove it at the last second. That's essentially throwing money/time/resources down the toilet. Won't happen. This will be in the movie.

Agree.

Necronomicon II

I suspect the engineers do something (or perhaps have already done something) which makes David change his mind.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 01, 2017, 07:57:31 AM
I wouldn't compare those things to the scene with David and Engineers because that particular scene wasn't part of the trailer. It isn't something small (floating egg or Royce covered in lasers). It was a proper scene from the movie. Very expensive scene.
Again, Rogue One had many completed, expensive VFX shots in the trailer than never made it into the film. Most of what you see of the fight on the beach planet isn't seen in the finished movie, yet there's a lot of very expensive VFX work in there.

I highly doubt the David/Engineer scene will be left on the cutting room floor, but the point is made: movies absolutely are frequently advertised using footage that doesn't get seen in theaters.

newagescamartist

Quote from: SiL on Apr 01, 2017, 08:09:41 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 01, 2017, 07:57:31 AM
Again, Rogue One had many completed, expensive VFX shots in the trailer than never made it into the film. Most of what you see of the fight on the beach planet isn't seen in the finished movie, yet there's a lot of very expensive VFX work in there.

I highly doubt the David/Engineer scene will be left on the cutting room floor, but the point is made: movies absolutely are frequently advertised using footage that doesn't get seen in theaters.

Correct, but can you imagine if they had shown the destroyer crashing into the other destroyer and then falling towards the planet/moon and removed that sequence? That's the equivalent of what I'm reading about in Covenant. It would take some monumental change in direction for this type of sequence to be removed, and at this late stage in the development, we should be even more worried if it is removed. But yea, you make excellent points.  ;D

neomorpheus

Well, they killed his father, he knew they were going to eradicate the Earth with the goo so he's probably been planning this revenge for a long time.

fernandito

Quote from: Hemi on Apr 01, 2017, 07:57:37 AM
"Shhh little baby, wait untill you see the fcking movie untill you condemn it." See, anyone can be condescending.

Have a little respect for a constructive conversation. This isn't IMDB, and if you want this to be your new home discussing these movies show some respect for fellow forum members. He's stating fact; You are judging a clip and an entire movie before you even see it. Not that smart if you ask me...  :-\
lol no one was condemning the movie. From the very beginning before children lost them lollipops I was just pointing out just saying that, again imho, such scene might very well get removed due to its very nature, in order to keep the mystery to the audiences once the covenant arrives at the planet

Seriously who said that scene is not good?. Haven't even watched it yet for gods sake!. I was neither condemning nor disliking anything. I can't wait to see the movie.

Pleasetry to not engaging any conversation you might difficulty to follow, because you either keep acting like a salty teen, or IQs did just drop sharply while I was away.

Beardomorph

Again, Rogue One had many completed, expensive VFX shots in the trailer than never made it into the film. Most of what you see of the fight on the beach planet isn't seen in the finished movie

Yes, but that was, what, 8 months before the release of the movie? They had to put a teaser trailer together based on available footage before the movie was finished.
Covenant is likely completed at this point, save for CGI. We're a month away from the premiere, it's highly unlikely they'd show a scene that expensive a month from release if it were not included in the movie. And on top of that, given the positive reception by the crowd at Cinemacon, why on earth would they decide to remove a well-received expensive scene from a movie that is likely completed?

SiL

SiL

Beardomorph

Quote from: SiL on Apr 01, 2017, 10:18:47 AM

I read you right the first time ;)
Do we have examples of footage being shown a month before release that doesn't get into theatres?
Because six months ahead of time, sure, I get it, it happens a lot. But a month before?

fernandito

Quote from: Beardomorph on Apr 01, 2017, 10:23:04 AM
I read you right the first time ;)
allow me the benefit of doubt given the current circumstances

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed