Unproduced Alien & Predator Micro Machines

Started by Nukiemorph, Apr 09, 2021, 08:24:03 PM

Author
Unproduced Alien & Predator Micro Machines (Read 9,190 times)

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

I came across some rare images that I hadn't seen before. They're scattered in multiple places and I had to dig into the Wayback Machine to get some of them, so I wanted to make a post here putting all of it together. Until today, I had no idea that box art had been finished for the Hadley's Hope set or that a Resurrection Newborn head playset was planned.

A post on this Star Wars collecting forum claims someone has a painted prototype of the Newborn set, but I haven't been able to find any images.
https://forum.rebelscum.com/threads/galoob-alien-aliens-prototype-micromachines.1048730/

Other sources:
http://www.alienscollection.com/unproduced.html
https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Aliens_(Micro_Machines)
http://jimsmash.blogspot.com/2015/08/unreleased-hadleys-hope-micro-machine.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20121029113258/http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/561027943AJtyvF
(This gallery also has a lot of Kenner prototypes too.)

Anybody else got anything that's not in this post?

Aliens Action Set
Featuring all figures and vehicles from the three Aliens Micro Machines collections that were released along with an unreleased headless Ash figure. Ash, pictured in more detail below next to an alternate, unused Ripley sculpt, was apparently deemed too scary for children. (Yet they had no problem recreating the chestbursting sequence in the Alien Transforming Action Set?) :o

Outer World Station Action Fleet Set
Mega-sized set of Hadley's Hope in the style of the Death Star, Ice Planet Hoth, and Yavin Rebel Base sets they released for Star Wars. Figures to be included were the queen, Ripley in the power loader, Gormon, and Bishop.

Jorden Family Daihotai Tractor
Was going to include Newt and her facehugged father along with an LV-426 landscape display stand.

Alien Resurrection Newborn Transforming Action Set
The first wave of this line came out in 1996, one year before Resurrection, so it only makes sense that they were planning to incorporate the new film as well. From what I can tell on the blueprints, the bottom of the interior is the scene where Perez blows up an Auriga escape pod. I can't make out what the other two levels were going to be.

Predator Action Set
A collection of the Predator figures and most of the vehicles from the three Micro Machines collections. For whatever reason, the Predator ship and the truck from Collection 3 are not shown, and an unproduced white truck from the guerilla camp is in their place.

Unreleased Predator Ship 1
According to AliensCollection.com, the design of this ship was from the Dark Horse comic, Predator: Bad Blood.

Unreleased Predator Ship 2
Also from Predator: Bad Blood.

Xiggz456

Cool find! Thanks for sharing.

Kailem

Wow that's super awesome! :o I had no idea they were planning a Newborn head playset! Great job gathering together all these pics!

Sadly I never got any of these Alien or Predator Micro Machines releases. I only found out about them years later, and to be honest I'm not even sure if they were released here in the UK. But I totally would have been all over them if they had been and I knew about them at the time though. I loved Micro Machines and Mighty Max playsets when I was younger. The Micro Machines toolbox city playset was one of my absolute favourites, and I damn near lost my mind when I went to America for the first time and found out about the existence of those Trendmasters Godzilla head playsets.

These are totally the sort of things that need to make a comeback, although given the apparent failure of NECA's Cinemachines line I'm not sure how popular they might be with general audiences.

Nukiemorph

Mighty Max was a big chunk of my childhood too. I had the vast majority of the sets. 6-year-old me would line them all up and pretend it was Hell. Max had fallen into Hell for whatever reason and needed to fight his way out.

I'll always have a soft spot for these kinds of micro playsets. It seems like every time they make a comeback, they don't last long. I remember Iron Man 2, The Force Awakens, and Ninja Turtles a few years ago all bringing back these types of sets, but I don't think they did very well. Polly Pocket's back and she seems to be doing fine, so I hope they try a Mighty Max revival someday.

Kailem

Quote from: ChrisDasinger on Apr 11, 2021, 10:16:40 PM
Mighty Max was a big chunk of my childhood too. I had the vast majority of the sets. 6-year-old me would line them all up and pretend it was Hell. Max had fallen into Hell for whatever reason and needed to fight his way out.

I had the Skull Mountain mega playset, which basically amounted to the same sort of thing. :laugh:

Quote from: ChrisDasinger on Apr 11, 2021, 10:16:40 PMI'll always have a soft spot for these kinds of micro playsets. It seems like every time they make a comeback, they don't last long. I remember Iron Man 2, The Force Awakens, and Ninja Turtles a few years ago all bringing back these types of sets, but I don't think they did very well. Polly Pocket's back and she seems to be doing fine, so I hope they try a Mighty Max revival someday.

Yeah that'd be awesome if they did. I'd be all over them, whether they were new sets or re-releases. Makes me want to go and dig out my older ones now actually. I think I've still got most of them under my bed, along with some of those really tiny mini-sets they had.

Ah, so cool!

Corporal Hicks

I'd have been all over these as a kid. And I'd be all over those Predator ships as an adult! They do look like they'd have been some pretty sweet collectors pieces.

Kailem

Yeah the ships make me glad I nabbed those Cinemachines ones when they came out. Outside of Micromachines they've got to make up, like.....100% of the Predator ship models that have ever been released! :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Yeah. We never even got that far with The Hunt Begins. ;(

Kailem

Yeah it would have been cool if they'd made some Predator drop pods or something for that.

I didn't end up getting it until the big "everything must go" sale they had though, so I don't really have a good perspective on how many models they made over what amount of time. They certainly had some cool ones though, but a shame for sure that they weren't able to make more.

Xenomrph

I was familiar with a lot of these but I'd never seen the Newborn head playset, that's pretty cool that they had some micro machine stuff planned for the 4th movie.

I have two of the three "Action Fleet" sets (the Narcissus and the Predator ship from the first AvP comic), I'd love to get the Dropship.

Nukiemorph

I just had the Predator set and a handful of figures as a kid. But just recently, I speared some white whales and completed the Alien collection. I have every Micro Machine/Action Fleet Alien figure, set, & vehicle released now.

That Predator Action Fleet ship goes for about $500 on eBay though, so I won't be completing the Predator line.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kailem on Apr 16, 2021, 03:50:17 PM
Yeah it would have been cool if they'd made some Predator drop pods or something for that.

I didn't end up getting it until the big "everything must go" sale they had though, so I don't really have a good perspective on how many models they made over what amount of time. They certainly had some cool ones though, but a shame for sure that they weren't able to make more.

Once they got in the groove, it was around 2 new sets (and usually a promo figure) every 3 months, with a few bigger releases. It's confirmed they had more stuff ready to go that never saw the light of day, although we've seen one in the form of the plastic Aliens for Glorious Day in the Corps.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah they really did get into the swing of it. Was nice to see so many regular (and sweet) releases. Prodos didn't deserve to be done dirty by Disney.

BlueMarsalis79

Lots of companies don't.

ary3d

one day I was watching some old toyfair videos on youtube and came across with the holy grail of alien   

https://youtu.be/D71hg8DNOC0?list=PLyBqG1QlfMV3n8QNJby_CchpznKCp1yzO&t=200

greetings, David

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed