Alien vs. Predator (Atari Jaguar) - Super Thread

Started by OpenMaw, Jun 03, 2018, 07:43:53 AM

Author
Alien vs. Predator (Atari Jaguar) - Super Thread (Read 33,031 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've downloaded the Virtual Jaguar as well. Any opinions on that emulator?

Do you have a link to the English patch for Phoenix?

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 07, 2020, 11:36:19 AM

Virtual Jaguar - less power consuming; generally less compatible in comparison to Phoenix; AvP glitches: HUD map, Pred HUD sound detector but the door texture is OK

English patch:

https://www.ngemu.com/threads/phoenix-project-3do-emulator-translated-into-english.191753/

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1157067

https://www.emutopia.com/index.php/emulators/item/273-atari-jaguar/1249-phoenix

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

I remember this game on launch.

Unfortunately the game system wasn't 64-bit as advertised, but not like anyone cared since we were still buzzing our Sega Mega Drives and Snes consoles with Street Fighter 2.

I wrote off the Jaguar like the 3DO and Sega CD before it. The angry video game nerd also took apart the "do the math" campaign and tech spec of what was really under the hood.

James Hampton got the ball rolling on future installments of AVP so fair play to him. But isn't it weird how even he admitted the graphical techniques of digitised photos made to look 3D were based on Amiga and 16-bit digitised 2d sprites, to give the illusion of 3d.

I see no bad intentions from Mr Hampton or his team and their game sounds good, although I got spoiled by said AVP 1999 and AVP2. From 1994 I think I would still prefer AVP-CAPCOM arcade if I had to choose.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: molasar on Jan 07, 2020, 11:46:33 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 07, 2020, 11:36:19 AM

Virtual Jaguar - less power consuming; generally less compatible in comparison to Phoenix; AvP glitches: HUD map, Pred HUD sound detector but the door texture is OK

English patch:

https://www.ngemu.com/threads/phoenix-project-3do-emulator-translated-into-english.191753/

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1157067

https://www.emutopia.com/index.php/emulators/item/273-atari-jaguar/1249-phoenix

Thanks I got Phoenix up and running!

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I think I paid something like $4.99 for the irata jaguar emulator app, but it was worth it to get Jaguar's AvP on my Galaxy phone.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 07, 2020, 01:52:18 PM
I think I paid something like $4.99 for the irata jaguar emulator app, but it was worth it to get Jaguar's AvP on my Galaxy phone.

Who charged you for it? It is for free and made by Phoenix guys. They just split it into a separate app for each system.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: molasar on Jan 07, 2020, 01:59:04 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 07, 2020, 01:52:18 PM

Who charged you for it? It is for free and made by Phoenix guys. They just split it into a separate app for each system.

I double-checked my 2018 Google Play purchase history and I definitely paid $4.99 for it.  The developer email address was altmer@arts-union.ru

I guess I was screwed? But ultimately I'm fine with it. I got more hours out of replaying AvPJaguar than Alien Blackout, and Blackout was worth the $4.99 to me.  :)

molasar

molasar

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Jan 07, 2020, 12:02:49 PM
I remember this game on launch.

Unfortunately the game system wasn't 64-bit as advertised, but not like anyone cared since we were still buzzing our Sega Mega Drives and Snes consoles with Street Fighter 2.

I wrote off the Jaguar like the 3DO and Sega CD before it. The angry video game nerd also took apart the "do the math" campaign and tech spec of what was really under the hood.

Killer apps on a weak gaming system are worth more than powerful system without killer apps.

"Do the math" campaign was not bad as it was aiming to use a psychological aspect that more is better. And majority of customers are not tech aficionados. 

It is hard to recognize 'The angry video game nerd' as the authority.

AvP on its own was making Jaguar worth to buy. You just lost a great experience.

James Hampton got the ball rolling on future installments of AVP so fair play to him. But isn't it weird how even he admitted the graphical techniques of digitised photos made to look 3D were based on Amiga and 16-bit digitised 2d sprites, to give the illusion of 3d.

It is not actually an illusion. It looks 3D because it is a photo of real 3D object or person (figurines of Aliens and Pred, or a person in a Marine outfit, Mortal Kombat game actors, Primal Rage clay characters) so all colors and shadows are correct, or a snapshot of software 3D rendered object (AvP main menu artwork and intro scenes, Donkey Kong Country elements, Killer Instinct elements) in different poses. They are just not real time 3D rendered in those games but a compilation of displayed 2D sprites put together into animation or just a texture on 3D wire frame. If they were able to  use animation frames without any limit then it would be hard to distinguish if the game is real time 3D rendered or not without knowing how it is done.

I see no bad intentions from Mr Hampton or his team and their game sounds good, although I got spoiled by said AVP 1999 and AVP2. From 1994 I think I would still prefer AVP-CAPCOM arcade if I had to choose.

Jaguar's AvP, AvP 1999 and AvP2 - each offers a completely different experience IMO.
It is weird to put Jaguar's AvP and Capcom's AvP into the same genre but if I had to choose, it would be Killer Instinct Arcade as it was the most impressive game from 1994 and it has Fulgore who is just a mix of Predator, T-800 and Robocop.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 07, 2020, 02:13:43 PM
I double-checked my 2018 Google Play purchase history and I definitely paid $4.99 for it.  The developer email address was altmer@arts-union.ru

I guess I was screwed? But ultimately I'm fine with it. I got more hours out of replaying AvPJaguar than Alien Blackout, and Blackout was worth the $4.99 to me.  :)

It seems you are OK as the email address belongs to original developers. I was just thinking that somebody exploited their work. At least you financially supported them and the project.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, that's good.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I remember going crazy when this came out. I read about it and saw screenshots in gaming magazines, but my parents wouldn't buy us a Jaguar. We didn't have a lot of money and they were all about Nintendo anyway. I spent a lot of time combing over that preview article I had. Ultimately my imagination had made the game into something more that it could ever be, when I played the ROM a few years ago it could only be a huge disappointment to the kid in me lol.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 07, 2020, 11:47:18 PM
I remember going crazy when this came out. I read about it and saw screenshots in gaming magazines, but my parents wouldn't buy us a Jaguar. We didn't have a lot of money and they were all about Nintendo anyway. I spent a lot of time combing over that preview article I had. Ultimately my imagination had made the game into something more that it could ever be, when I played the ROM a few years ago it could only be a huge disappointment to the kid in me lol.

Why could it only be a huge disappointment  to the kid in you in 1994? Did you play better first person perspective games on SNES?

Generally those who played the game the first time after many years its release, emulated or even on original system, do not have a right perspective to rate it correctly as gaming standards have changed drastically since then. It pertains to every other game as well. Some people, who were not even born back then can ask what is so special about it. The answer is simple. You had to live at that time and be familiar with available games.
In 1994 the most impressive game from graphical, gameplay, sound and music point of view was Killer Instinct Arcade. It was like watching Terminator 2 film in 1991. However if you do a comparison of it with Killer Instinct from 2013 then you might say it is a disappointment too. But let me tell you that no other fighting game has brought the same or better impression to gamers after it .

426Buddy

426Buddy

Disappointing because all that time spent imagining how amazing the game was built my expectations up to unrealistic levels. Playing as an adult also meant that the graphics look super dated even to someone who grew up in the late 80s, 90s. Also playing a ROM is never as enjoyable as playing on the original platform.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 08, 2020, 02:19:13 AM
Disappointing because all that time spent imagining how amazing the game was built my expectations up to unrealistic levels. Playing as an adult also meant that the graphics look super dated even to someone who grew up in the late 80s, 90s. Also playing a ROM is never as enjoyable as playing on the original platform.

That is why video games should be experienced when they are released sadly.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Have you finished the Jag version, molasar?

SiL

SiL

How's the Phoenix version with the graphics? The last emulator I tried to play was almost unplayable without cheats -- ammo counters, key cards, vision modes, etc. never displayed properly, and all of the sprites had masking problems.

If I could play a version of this that didn't look more ass than necessary I would be sooooo happy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed