The Blade Runner Thread

Started by Shasvre, Mar 03, 2011, 01:15:19 AM

Author
The Blade Runner Thread (Read 224,900 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=31131

LOS ANGELES, CA, MARCH 3, 2011—Warner Bros-based financing and production company Alcon Entertainment ("The Blind Side," "The Book of Eli") co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove, in the most significant property acquisition negotiations in the Company's 13-year history, are in final discussions to secure film, television and ancillary franchise rights to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic 1982 science-fiction thriller "Blade Runner."

Alcon is negotiating to secure the rights from producer-director Bud Yorkin, who will serve as producer on "Blade Runner" along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO's of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.

Alcon's franchise rights would be all-inclusive, but exclude rights to remake the original. The Company, however, may produce projects based on situations introduced in the original film. The project would be distributed domestically by Warner Bros. International rights are yet to be determined.

Johnson and Kosove stated: "We are honored and excited to be in business with Bud Yorkin. This is a major acquisition for our company, and a personal favorite film for both of us. We recognize the responsibility we have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce. We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only."

Among its many distinctions, "Blade Runner" has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by countless polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.

Released by Warner Bros. almost 30 years ago, "Blade Runner" was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and directed by Ridley Scott following his landmark "Alien." The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction).

"Blade Runner" was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society.

Alcon's COO Scott Parish and head of business affairs David Fierson are negotiating on behalf of the Company.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

When will these bastards learn that if they want to step in, that they should just go and do stories in the same universe, not give me the same thing again.

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

DO NOT WANT

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: ShadowPred on Mar 03, 2011, 01:16:14 AMWhen will these bastards learn that if they want to step in, that they should just go and do stories in the same universe, not give me the same thing again.

Actually, they don't have the rights to remake the original. ;)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Shasvre on Mar 03, 2011, 01:21:18 AM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Mar 03, 2011, 01:16:14 AMWhen will these bastards learn that if they want to step in, that they should just go and do stories in the same universe, not give me the same thing again.

Actually, they don't have the rights to remake the original. ;)

Good to know, I will wait for more news.

InvisibleLimits

InvisibleLimits

These guys have Balls. Having just rewatched this movie last night for the umpteenth though, I hope to god that either none of this happens, or they know what they are doing. Between this, the Alien prequel nonsense, and the Thing prequel, I'm not sure to be overjoyed, or scared shitless.  :(

SM

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Shitty movies don't hurt the good ones imo. 

If a movie is really bad, I won't remember it anyways.

InvisibleLimits

InvisibleLimits

Too true, and with any luck they'll turn out great. They better be calling up Vangelis when this is all sorted out, Blade Runner has an amazing soundtrack. Or at least get someone to ape his style... Regarding prequel news, I'll remain cautiously excited.

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

Quote from: SM on Mar 03, 2011, 02:44:26 AM
Quote from: Walk Evil Talk on Mar 03, 2011, 01:18:06 AM
DO NOT WANT

DO NOT CARE

Just my knee-jerk reaction to the thought of a complete reboot (because sometimes actually reading something instead of skimming it is just too much work). A prequel or sequel wouldn't be as bad... I guess. *crosses arms and pouts*

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

No.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Also reported here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48712

Hmm ... ... ... ... ... hmm. Not know how feel.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

I cannot get excited for Blade Runner 2: Rise of the Replicants.

Wake up. Time to die.

First Blood

First Blood

I've always pictured a Blade Runner prequel dealing with the Replicants, like some of the stuff Roy mentions at the end of the film. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time...

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 03, 2011, 06:03:13 PM
I've always pictured a Blade Runner prequel dealing with the Replicants, like some of the stuff Roy mentions at the end of the film. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time...
Or the rebellious Nexus 6 combat unit that resulted in replicants being declared illegal on Earth [I don't believe this was Batty's crew(?)].

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed