James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 711,368 times)

Master

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 17, 2023, 12:41:42 AMhttps://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1636479142274187264

I do not buy that nine hour number for even a second (the post-production budget alone would be absurd), but that being said, I wouldn't be shocked if Cameron actually did have a longer cut of the movie that he'd like to do as a limited series like this. In his one-on-one chat with Denis Villeneuve in 2021, right around the time of Dune's release, he pretty much explicitly said as much, mentioning that he'd love some day to put a movie in theaters and then also present a longer version on streaming. It really isn't a stretch to think he may have had Avatar 3 in mind when making that statement, as it was already shot at the time and it could very well have a lot of stuff that he really likes and wants to show off but would simply be too much to show in the film's theatrical iteration.

It's done like this in Poland with every big budget production, especially historical ones  :laugh:

nanison

@Master

Are that films like "the deluge", that is a Polish right? I saw some scenes of this on youtube years ago, seemed quite epic and expensive! Don't know what it is about though

Master

It's is based on famous Polish book trilogy that talks about series of conflicts Polish Kingdom had with it neighbours in XVII century. They are quite good. I would recommend With Fire and Sword (1999) it is the first part and the most recent one (books were adapted in reversed chronology due to political issues).

Wweyland

Das Boot (1981) was also done in a similar way. I also love the 6-hour version.

Master

Quote from: Wweyland on Mar 18, 2023, 10:29:30 PMDas Boot (1981) was also done in a similar way. I also love the 6-hour version.

Try watching it in small, hot, dark room, were you can smell your own sweat. That's 100% immersion without 3d!

Wweyland

Quote from: Master on Mar 19, 2023, 09:25:28 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Mar 18, 2023, 10:29:30 PMDas Boot (1981) was also done in a similar way. I also love the 6-hour version.

Try watching it in small, hot, dark room, were you can smell your own sweat. That's 100% immersion without 3d!
I have watched it in all kinds of setups (starting with VHS with a small TV), works great.
Even better with a submarine model (that you spent a week building) beside you.

Master

Best film about submarine and one of my all time favorite!

Immortan Jonesy

Gazz

Just about squeaked this one out in time.

Nightmare Asylum

Both Avatar and Avatar: The Way of Water will release on 4K disc on June 20th.

https://people.com/movies/avatar-the-way-of-water-bluray-release-behind-the-scenes-exclusive/

BlueMarsalis79

The Abyss fans tearing their eyes out currently.

Stitch

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 23, 2023, 12:41:42 PMThe Abyss fans tearing their eyes out currently.
It's coming. Supposedly.  >:(

KiramidHead

True Lies, though...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed