James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 709,827 times)

Space_Dementia

Avatar The Way of Water is a beautiful, immersive experience that I did enjoy... but didn't love. Technically its stunning, but for me really lacked a soul... the emotional beats just didn't work for me when they should have. Its without a doubt a big cinema experience where you get immersed and lost for 3 hours on Pandora... but it just didn't quite resonate with me like it has a with a lot of other people.
I might just add I have only seen the movie once so maybe it will change on repeat reviewing's.

BlueMarsalis79

nanison

No other film franchise in the history of blockbuster films gets as much dirty thrown at it for having a simple plot and dialogue other than avatar 1 and 2. Literally every professional review or review by film fans makes a point out of this. This to me clearly is an example of people aping other people. It cannot possibly be that bad. It feels like there isn't really anything negative to say so everybody dwells on the dialogue and plot as if all other action adventure films have riveting plots. Perhaps the Marvel fans are jealous of the success of this film that nobody wanted yet everybody storms out to see?

I'm defending a film I haven't seen yet but to me it is very irritating to read it in every review.
How many blockbuster films do you know that have a wildly original plot?

BlueMarsalis79

Not nearly enough, mediocrity should not be celebrated.

nanison

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 08, 2023, 11:06:55 PMNot nearly enough, mediocrity should not be celebrated.

Hehe but you are a notorious hater, you hated it from the moment it was announced  :P

BlueMarsalis79

Did I ten odd years ago? I honestly can't remember. I just know I have not ever liked the space the franchise has taken up in the industry.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 08, 2023, 11:06:55 PMNot nearly enough, mediocrity should not be celebrated.

I can't comment on the second, but the first one wasn't mediocre at all.

From a technical and visual aspect alone it was incredible.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 09, 2023, 03:18:34 AMI just know I have not ever liked the space the franchise has taken up in the industry.

Two films in 13 years? They're hardly hogging the market.

There's a Marvel movie every few months.

Kradan

Kradan

I'm beginning to think that @BlueMarsalis79 doesn't like James Cameron too much

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I do, sometimes a helluva lot, that's why it's frustrating he put his eggs in this basket for me personally.

I really do not find the films very visually impressive, beyond their raw construction every aspect of them I find totally mediocre.

And I didn't say the market, I said the industry, it's more baffling all this time put towards... that.

It is total George Lucas syndrome of putting technology first, and everything else just existing to support that, and it bores me on principle.

Local Trouble

Don't you ever wonder what his Alien 3 would have been like?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 09, 2023, 03:59:24 PMAnd I didn't say the market, I said the industry, it's more baffling all this time put towards... that.

It is total George Lucas syndrome of putting technology first, and everything else just existing to support that, and it bores me on principle.

At least there are still film artists like David Fincher, Noah Hawley, David Cronenberg or David Lynch.

Personally, I only like the Avatar movies because I dig the creature design. But beyond that, it is not a story that catches in particular😅👉👈

BlueMarsalis79

I do not really wonder what his AlienĀ³ or Terminator 3 might have been, especially with Dark Fate as an indicating point, probably pretty good but not all that interesting because he had concluded the stories unambiguously in both cases.

James Cameron really had no interest in them, at the time that they would have been most appropriate, he had other things on his mind and whilst I may find them unenthusing, I would not ask that he make something he had no interest in either.

We know how Terminator Dark Fate turned out for better or worse, and back in 2016 he said he did not see the point in exploring Alien as a franchise further at this point, so a long winded way of saying no not really.

Do I wonder what his and Ridley Scott's Alien V might have been though? f**kin' constantly.

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 09, 2023, 04:11:58 PMAt least there are still film artists like David Fincher, Noah Hawley, David Cronenberg or David Lynch.

Hey, are you saying that Cameron isn't film artist !? You take that back, YOU TAKE THAT BACK !

>:(  >:(  >:(

Spoiler
Ooor ...

[close]

judge death

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 09, 2023, 09:45:18 AM

I can't comment on the second, but the first one wasn't mediocre at all.

From a technical and visual aspect alone it was incredible.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 09, 2023, 03:18:34 AMI just know I have not ever liked the space the franchise has taken up in the industry.

Two films in 13 years? They're hardly hogging the market.

There's a Marvel movie every few months.
Agree, first one had a better story, epic ending and clear story with ups and down, see both side preparing for battle and then it happened was much fun.
Plus the effects and 3D were groundbreaking. All cinemas had to get new screens and it kicked off 3D.
Avatar 2 didnt break new ground and camerons statement how each avatar movie would make groundbreaking new technologiescand experiences in cinemas likd ghe 3D did in 2009 didnt happen.

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed