Shin Kamen Rider

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Sep 30, 2021, 11:55:24 AM

Author
Shin Kamen Rider (Read 589 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I've never seen this original Tokusatsu TV Show. Is it better than Pacific Rim or the Power Rangers?
I remember seeing Ultraman as a child.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

That ad is from a cosplay Anno did back in the day -

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 30, 2021, 09:09:31 PM
I've never seen this original Tokusatsu TV Show. Is it better than Pacific Rim or the Power Rangers?
I remember seeing Ultraman as a child.

I haven't seen it myself but here's an overview from another forum I frequent. Maybe not the greatest endorsement but it sounds fun...

Quote from: StreamOfKaijuness post_id=1808690 time=1615172975 user_id=10731
I have watched 79 episodes of the original Kamen Rider on Tubi since Shout! Factory made it available last Spring.  Only 19 to go!

This show is trashy, no two ways about it, but I dig it.  This show is to the Ultra franchise what Gamera vs. Viras is to Destroy All Monsters, a demonstration that cheap production values and minimal creativity can produce something that resonates with kids as much as or moreso than its more expensive and ambitious competition.

The Ultraman shows have plenty of formula to them but they clearly try to introduce as many varied story ideas, locations, characters and concepts as they can, whereas Kamen Rider makes about a tenth of that effort to present different things from one episode to the next.  Nearly every episode is just Shocker sending out a new cyborg monster, which proceeds to kill and/or kidnap some helpless victims until the Kamen Rider and his FBI pal Taki show up and the music kicks in as they do battle with the cyborg and Shocker's masked goons, then they regroup and discuss what to do next as Shocker makes their next sinister move, usually kidnapping one or more of the Rider's acquaintances to lure him out for the final showdown, which ends when a well-placed "RIDER KICK!" sends the cyborg reeling and it explodes.

There aren't many fights that take place on sets and those that do are usually in the Shocker base.  Most of the fights are shot on location around the Japanese countryside in quarries, at houses, on bridges and on hillsides.  The very sparse special effects shots are poorly edited and often bizarre, like an unraveling necklace meant to represent a melting person.  Shocker's cyborg monsters look like Halloween costumes and every single one of them had its voice actor record sound bytes of themselves going "AGH-AGH-AGH!" or "EEE-EEE-EEE! or other vocalizations that get stuttered and repeated endlessly with an echo whenever the cyborg is in action onscreen.  Shocker's goons also all have the same high-pitched "EEEEEEEE!" dubbed over them constantly.

It may be pure junk food but it's a fun show to watch.  Akiji Kobayashi, who played SSSP Captain Muramatsu in the original Ultraman, is also part of the main cast here as Tobei Tachibana, head of the Tachibana Racing Club and a mentor to the Kamen Rider.  Hideyo Amamoto shows up midway through the series as a new Shocker general named Doctor Death and he hams it up in the role.  Shunsuke Kikuchi provides the music and it sounds similar in style to his score for Gamera vs. Zigra.

I watched all 49 episodes of Kamen Rider Kuuga last Summer.  It's awesome!  Even though it's from the year 2000, the episodes are heavily serialized and it was shot in widescreen so it seems like a show that was made in the streaming era.  It's a very inspired series that reimagines the Kamen Rider concept from the ground up while staying true to the classic aesthetics, even featuring adaptations of a few of the original show's monsters.  The characters are delightful and it's fun to see them unravel the mystery of everything that's happening as Japan is plagued by unidentified lifeforms.  I really like how organically Kuuga's various powers and upgrades are incorporated into the proceedings.  While watching the show, it struck me that this was the series that TPC was trying to emulate when they forced Ultraman Nexus to revamp midway through its run.

And here are some links to what the original series and others -
QuoteShout! Factory TV website:

Tubi website:

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

I'm pretty new to Kamen Rider, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing Anno's vision for this! One of my most anticipated of the year.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

This new trailer seems like it shows a ton more of the film, especially the action.

Kinda wish I hadn't watched it just cause of how much it shows, and me wanting to go in fresh, but holy shit it looks really awesome!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Oh man, this is looking fantastic.

I'll be coming into this a total Kamen Rider noob, but I'm loving what I'm seeing here and loved all of Evangelion, plus Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Same here! I'm pretty new to Kamen Rider myself, but I've enjoyed everything Anno has worked on. And I've been checking out the original and some of the various Kamen Rider series online

Here's a link to a YouTube playlist of all the original episodes that I've been watching

Kamen Rider YT Playlist

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Really dug this. Can't stop thinking about how cool the Wasp-Aug fight was.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed