Was Lambert raped by the Alien?

Started by Ellen Ripley, Nov 02, 2007, 07:42:37 PM

Author
Was Lambert raped by the Alien? (Read 223,676 times)

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SiL on Sep 05, 2020, 11:56:16 PM
Kind of a few holes:

Why would the Alien not perform exploratory actions on Dallas and Brett?

Brett's egg seemed to be developing just fine. If it were a dud, why would it not check Dallas to not repeat the mistake?

How can it even detect human ovaries? Specifically, ones that are developed enough to ovulate -- human females are born with all the eggs they'll ever have in their life, they don't appear at puberty.

Facehuggers don't care about age or sex. Newt was closest, Ripley the next closest. The dog was male.

Good questions! Firstly, it's entirely possible that it *did* check Dallas and Brett once it had them - certain species of parasitoid wasps will repeatedly 'stab' potential hosts *after* they are cocooned to check if they are suitable.

As for how a xenomorph would differentiate male from female hosts - it may use olfactory signals (chemical cues) many species rely on contact cues in reproduction - it may have had to physically touch with its tail to assess.

The dog, in this case wouldn't have mattered, as a queen embryo was already laid in a suitible host for its developmental requirements - the runner was a simple drone, any host was suitable. :-)

Theres also peer reviewed papers that conclude that certain parasitoid species have a sex bias when it comes to hosts - this was one of the first ones to pop up on google where female hosts are actively pursued:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3823929/
Why does the Alien attempt to head munch Ripley if she is so important? Same reason the runner frantically attempts to attack Ripley whilst she is carrying its future after molten lead is poured on it - self preservation.

As I say, it's just a personal theory, though Prometheus and Covenant have since heavily played into it, especially David's drawings 😊

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Its_Auto on Sep 06, 2020, 12:39:53 AM
Good questions! Firstly, it's entirely possible that it *did* check Dallas and Brett once it had them - certain species of parasitoid wasps will repeatedly 'stab' potential hosts *after* they are cocooned to check if they are suitable.
If it found out they were unsuitable, why continue the process -- twice?

Why check Lambert first?

QuoteTheres also peer reviewed papers that conclude that certain parasitoid species have a sex bias when it comes to hosts - this was one of the first ones to pop up on google where female hosts are actively pursued:
The Alien consistently shows no such bias, though. You say it's the presence of ovaries, then say they specifically have to be developed enough for ovulation -- why? Shaw was sterile, but the goo still worked its magic.

More importantly, the study is about a parasitic insect which has a very specific host species. It's not able to determine sex outside of that species, as the study shows. The Alien doesn't have this limit. (EDIT -- that said thanks for linking that article, that is super interesting to read!)

And if you listen to the Strauss Brothers (why would you?), the PredAlien was a juvenile Queen -- born from a male.

SM

SM

...or was it?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Also I don't believe Lambert was transgender. I maybe off in the exact wording of the crew bio, but wasn't in something along the lines of gender re-assignment in utero. That reads more like designer baby kind of stuff so I take that to mean she would have had ovaries.

SM

SM

It says "at birth".

I've never considered it canonical personally.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Sep 07, 2020, 08:25:35 AM
It says "at birth".

My mistake. Fair enough!

Quote from: SM on Sep 07, 2020, 08:25:35 AM
I've never considered it canonical personally.

Yeah, it's nearly impossible to read the read the majority of them on the actual film.

Weyland yutani brazilian

No she sucked into space like the newborn at the end of alien resurrection

Immortan Jonesy

The what?  :laugh:

[cancerblack]

The_Nostromo_Files

Quote from: Weyland yutani brazilian on Mar 05, 2021, 09:23:44 PM
No she sucked into space like the newborn at the end of alien resurrection
I don't remember hearing the decompression alarms going off...

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

That was her original planned death - sucked into space piecemeal through a (very small) hole melted in the hull by the Alien's blood. But when they realised they didn't have the effects technology to pull it off, they scrapped the idea.

Don't really see what relevance it has to the Alien raping her argument though.

BigDaddyJohn

There are definitely some sexual undertones in that scene, like in the whole movie.

The_Nostromo_Files

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 06, 2021, 10:34:01 AM
There are definitely some sexual undertones in that scene, like in the whole movie.
It only works for me if I overlook the tennis shoes.  ;)

Inverse Effect

Quote from: Elmazalman on Sep 04, 2020, 09:56:56 PM
Quote from: YouHaveMySympahties on Sep 04, 2020, 12:32:36 PM
Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I felt the want to reply because I honestly can't believe that there are people who think the Xenomorph didn't inflict sexual violence on Lambert. The alien totally raped Lambert. Scott has gone on record many times as saying that the film is an allegory for sexual violence and bodily invasion. The facehugger itself rapes Kane.

I don't know why people seem to want to find a disconnect between a director with a mission statement of conveying sexual violence through the film's imagery, and what is quite obviously intended to be a sexually violent death for Lambert. I mean for God's sake, let's just look at the editing. The tail slithers up between her (Brett's) legs before she suddenly convulses, and then we hear very long and drawn out shudders/shrieks, as if she is struggling to breath through considerable exertion. They're the sorts of sounds a woman makes when she's pushing a baby out of her womb.

I think the implication is pretty clear that the alien is forcing its tail up her vagina. I'm not saying Scott had the idea right from the offset. We all know that isn't true. But I think it's obvious that he saw an opportunity to add an extra dimension of sexual horror to her death scene, through the insertion of the footage of the tail slithering up between Brett's legs. And then of course, when we cut back to the scene of all the carnage, Lambert's pants have been torn off and there's blood pretty clearly running down the length of her legs.
All that's implied is that something unusual and horrific (compared to the previous victims) happened.

The body was partially or completely stripped of clothing, the blood running down the bare legs and pooling under her mangled foot could be from a head wound (head bite), instead of her nether regions.

I like to think its doing a vlad the impailer style kill, shoving it's tail up her ass and through her mouth. Even the games have the xenomorpth doing kills like this on humans. And then she was inpailed.through a pipe

SM

SM

Never got that impression based on her screams.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed