Best non-alien pictures

Started by Bad Replicant, Apr 02, 2011, 06:14:54 PM

Author
Best non-alien pictures (Read 410,466 times)

Elmazalman

ALIENS too.

Corporal Hicks

Elmazalman

Corporal Hicks

Completely agree with you there. I much prefer the grey/white but I do love seeing the yellow paint scheme.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

More recent ones from the Facebook page.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 08, 2015, 08:44:53 AM

Always preferred the yellow Nostromo. It just screams Chris Foss to me and it's certainly different to all the hundreds of other grey spaceships seen in films. Sea-going tugs at harbours and such are also typically yellow which would have helped to convey the ship's function to the audience.

The yellow version also had a much better paint job with lots more detail. Unfortunately after the Guv'nor waltzed in and ordered it painted grey, the model shop had to hastily spraypaint it, obliterating the little windows and other details.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 22, 2015, 01:15:26 PM
Always preferred the yellow Nostromo. It just screams Chris Foss to me and it's certainly different to all the hundreds of other grey spaceships seen in films.

No arguments there! The yellow colour definitely gives it more of a Foss feel. I don't know how I'd feel about it in the film though - I'm quite used to the grey.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 23, 2015, 12:41:37 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 22, 2015, 01:15:26 PM
Always preferred the yellow Nostromo. It just screams Chris Foss to me and it's certainly different to all the hundreds of other grey spaceships seen in films.

No arguments there! The yellow colour definitely gives it more of a Foss feel. I don't know how I'd feel about it in the film though - I'm quite used to the grey.

Repainting the Nostromo model grey actually resulted in a little continuity error. The full scale landing claw is still painted yellow in the film.

But grey on the model:

Corporal Hicks

I can see what you mean but I don't think it's massively noticeable.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Are you sure it wasn't just a copper sort of coloring?  That's what it looks like to me (and it doesn't look like the same shade as the yellow Nostromo anyway), and it fits the rest of the metal all over the scene setting.

Even though the Nostromo was originally painted yellow, some parts were still left gray.  I don't see any logic in the model makers painting the retracting pistons of the landing leg with yellow.

Elmazalman

Looks more like rust than yellow in that landing leg production still.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jun 23, 2015, 08:49:32 PM
Are you sure it wasn't just a copper sort of coloring?  That's what it looks like to me (and it doesn't look like the same shade as the yellow Nostromo anyway), and it fits the rest of the metal all over the scene setting.

Even though the Nostromo was originally painted yellow, some parts were still left gray.  I don't see any logic in the model makers painting the retracting pistons of the landing leg with yellow.

Here's another shot, definitely yellow:

Your image shows what Ridley referred to as his "Tutankhamen temple room" which was painted gold.

Notice the difference between the gold and yellow hue's in this shot:

MrSpaceJockey

No offense, but I'm not 100 percent sold, just because the same things under different lighting tend to look like different colors.  So while it may not be painted gold, I'm not quick to say it's painted yellow.

Not to mention the exterior legs look grey or silvery as well (though one could argue that the pieces of the ship above the leg looks yellowish...but once again, it could just be lighting). 

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jun 23, 2015, 10:20:46 PM
No offense, but I'm not 100 percent sold, just because the same things under different lighting tend to look like different colors.  So while it may not be painted gold, I'm not quick to say it's painted yellow.

Not to mention the exterior legs look grey or silvery as well (though one could argue that the pieces of the ship above the leg looks yellowish...but once again, it could just be lighting). 

Here is a better picture:

The full scale legs used for the exterior shots at first look like a combination of both grey and yellow. The piston's, numbers and the feet itself is yellow for sure. Looking closer at the grey areas you can still see yellow bleeding through so I assume the grey bits is just dirty oil or grease.

Note that the full scale props were built before Martin Bower built the Nostromo scale model. I would therefore assume that he thought the whole ship should be yellow based on the landing gear?

MrSpaceJockey

Image not showing for me.

QuoteNote that the full scale props were built before Martin Bower built the Nostromo scale model. I would therefore assume that he thought the whole ship should be yellow based on the landing gear?
Like I said before though, there's no reason to think that the legs were yellow.  They're not even yellow in any of the Ron Cobb concept art.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed