Best non-alien pictures

Started by Bad Replicant, Apr 02, 2011, 06:14:54 PM

Author
Best non-alien pictures (Read 410,902 times)

aliennaire

Quote from: Omegazilla on Aug 07, 2013, 03:03:45 PM
Steam from the nozzles! Practical effects and their apt photography are a natural charm!

xeno_alpha_07

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

:laugh:

Freaking love these. Thanks for sharing. :)

nostalgicalgorithms

Okay that is not the original design for the Power Loader. I don't have the picture saved but I remember looking at concept art for Aliens where the loader was a lot bigger. It looked more like what we saw in Avatar. I love the design of both.

I'm not sure if this is what I saw many years ago but its damn close. It could have been because of techical limitations that Cameron downsized the design. Either way it worked. :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

xeno_alpha_07

Giger working on the Space Jockey

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Mothershit that's fantastic! :)

nostalgicalgorithms

I wish Hollywood would get back on track with special effects. Today everything is just full of green screen, often dodgy cgi, and shaky camera work. I know some people will disagree by calling this a film "technique" or "style" but this awful trend needs to die. Granted some movies do really well with both green screen technology and CGI but far too often is it executed properly. Hollywood please go back to making real sets and kit-bashing models.

What I hate the most is when a creature, vehicle, scenery, or anything else made of CGI is rendered at a different frame rate than the actual actors. My eyes can always pick it out and it makes the superimposed nature of said creature or vehicle look completely fake. This is one reason why I liked Avatar because everything behaved in response to actual physics. Nothing moved ridiculously fast which is often a attempt to hide sub par CGI effects.

DC

SM

SM

QuoteI know some people will disagree by calling this a film "technique" or "style" but this awful trend needs to die. Granted some movies do really well with both green screen technology and CGI but far too often is it executed properly. Hollywood please go back to making real sets and kit-bashing models.

:D

Because models and stop-motion always look completely real.

DC

*Completely

:P

Hudson

Quote from: SM on Sep 11, 2013, 05:33:54 AM
QuoteI know some people will disagree by calling this a film "technique" or "style" but this awful trend needs to die. Granted some movies do really well with both green screen technology and CGI but far too often is it executed properly. Hollywood please go back to making real sets and kit-bashing models.

:D

Because models and stop-motion always look completely real.

I've never seen CG used to construct a spaceship that deceived my eyes. Any ship in Star Wars looks more real than the CG stuff that comes out nowadays.

SM

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: nostalgicalgorithms on Aug 25, 2013, 06:16:36 PM
I wish Hollywood would get back on track with special effects. Today everything is just full of green screen, often dodgy cgi, and shaky camera work. I know some people will disagree by calling this a film "technique" or "style" but this awful trend needs to die. Granted some movies do really well with both green screen technology and CGI but far too often is it executed properly. Hollywood please go back to making real sets and kit-bashing models.
Good ol' fashioned practical models are still being used today even in big Hollywood blockbusters. They simply use whatever works best. Recent example: Elysium

Same goes for real sets:

Also be sure to check out "Moon" (2009) which used kit-bashed models and miniature terrain almost exclusively.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q#ws

SM

And they were quite obviously models in a number of shots.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed